Search for content in message boards

CENSUS RECORDS CHICAGO, IL 1895-1920

CENSUS RECORDS CHICAGO, IL 1895-1920

Irma Sheler (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2000 2:43PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2003 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: goldschmidt, goldsmith
Does anyone have census records for Chicago, IL for years 1895-1920. Am trying to trace grandparents, Ferdinand and Caroline Goldschmidt/Goldsmith who came from Germany late 1800's. The area they came from was at that time part of Germany but today is in Poland. In Chicago they lived on Kedzie Ave. Their children were Gertrude, Frieda, Edna, Ernest, Max and Raymond. I don't know what all information is on census records but am also trying to find what city or town they came from in Germany. Would appreciate any information. My e-mail - rustysheler@cs.com

Chicago City Directories

Posted: 11 Nov 2000 9:39PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2004 1:58AM GMT
Chicago has city directories for years 1839 and 1843 to 1928 on microfilm at the Newberry Library, Chicago Historical Society and Harold Washington Library. It shows usually only husband's name and address, but at least it gives you some idea where they lived. Chicago is on the 1900, 1910 and 1920 Federal Census.

CHICAGO CENSUS VS. CITY DIRECTORIES

Irma Sheler (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2000 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2003 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: goldschmidt, goldsmith
Hi Judy:
Thanks so much for your reply. Since you think the directories only show husband's name and address, they would not have any new information for me. I know my grandfather's name was Ferdinand Goldschmidt/Goldsmith and lived on Kedzie Ave. in Chicago. I think census records will show birthplace which is what I am searching for. Thanks again for your note.

Irma Sheler
Posted: 12 Nov 2000 5:56PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2004 1:58AM GMT
Irma,

Do you have access to census records?

Judy

CENSUS RECORDS

Irma Sheler (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2000 11:47AM GMT
Judy -
No, I do not have access to census records. Do you know where they can be found online? Or is it necessary to purchase a CD-ROM?
Thanks again for your reply. Irma

censes records

Posted: 16 Nov 2000 9:39AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2001 7:42PM GMT
Depending on where you live.
You can go to a regional office of the
National archives and they have the records
on microfilm
You can find their offices on line

Good luck
Judi

CENSUS RECORDS

Irma Sheler (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2000 3:13PM GMT
Judi -
Thanks for the info. Went into several National Archives sites only to learn there is not a location here in Phoenix. Will pursue other National Archives avenues via Internet. Thx again.

Irma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic