Search for content in message boards

Choctaw Farmers in Neshoba Co. MS

Choctaw Farmers in Neshoba Co. MS

Mary Alice Farmer (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2004 9:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farmer and Willis
Looking for info about parents of of Moses/Clennie Sue Willis/Farmer in Nehoba County, MS.

Re: Choctaw Farmers in Neshoba Co. MS

Posted: 17 Jun 2009 5:59AM GMT
Surnames: Willis, York, Joshua, Sweeney
Also looking for information on Choctaw Willis family that moved from Mississippi to Oklahoma . . .

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 1:42AM GMT
Do you have any first names for the Willis' that you are looking for? There are many Willis' names, some shown as Chickasaw, some as Choctaw, even though they come from the same family originally. Its probable these brothers (white)were married to women of both the Chickasaw and Choctaw Nations....which would account for the tribal differences in these lists among their descendents.

Britton Willis, a white man ( born 1758, died 1844) was a Revolutionary War veteran from South Carolina. He was the father of:
James Willis.

James Willis married Amanda Love and had at least 2 children:
James Hampton Willis
Reuben B. Willis
When Amanda died James married her sister Elvira.

Both of the sons married women of Indian descent. Both moved from Mississippi, and came to Indian Territory.

1 James Hampton Willis

2 Reuben B. Willis.

Both of these sons were listed as white men living among the Chickasaw. Both married Indian women. Descendents married into both the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations.

If you think that either of these may connect to your Willis lines, please let me know and I will give you what I have on these families. You can contact me direct at:
kwoneenee@yahoo.com

Bonnie

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Willis, York, Joshua, Sweeney
Thank you for this information on the Willis Family names you provided. None of these names, however, match the Choctaw family names I am looking for -- I am searching Carlton Dale Willis to Simmons Willis to Patterson Willis to Joe Willis -- That's where I get stumped and cannot go any further back . . .

Thanks again,

ChiefWillis

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 5:35PM GMT
Could your Simmons Willis be the following:
Simon P. Willis, a Choctaw, born 1820 Attended the Choctaw Academy in Kentucky in 1838 - 1840.
By 1855 he was a resident of Towson County, his household including:
Susan
Jeremiah
John C.
William B.
Catherine
Martha
He also had living in his household a George Washington

Source of info is "Choctaw Academy and Chronicles of Oklahoma.

There is also a Joe Willis listed as being a voter at Doaksville in Towson County in 1898, also listed as a Choctaw.

Posted: 26 Sep 2009 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: York, Willis, Sweeney, Joshua, Thompson, Cooper, Ben, Amos
Sorry, our Simmons Willis is not Simon P. Willis or that family line. I am not aware of any family members living anywhere but around Carthage and/or Choctaw/Philadelphia, Mississippi -- But, I am still learning more and more each time I look. Are you related to this family line?

I will check with family members to see if Joe Willis was ever a voter at Doaksville in Towson County in 1898 -- He was definitely Choctaw but I believe most of this family line came from the Choctaw/Philadelphia, Mississippi area before moving to Oklahoma

Farmers in Neshoba Co. MS..John SMITH..Father of Susana Rutha SMITH, born 30 April 1840

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 12:10PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, WILSON, HALL
Is it possible that you could check the families of Philadelphia around 1840 to see if there is a Indian family headed by John Smith with a daughter Susana Rutha SMITH.
Rutha is my GrGramma. She bacame a ward of the Lavaca County, TX Court of Estates in August 1858.
The court filing says she is the daughter of "John Smith and wife, deceased of Miss." James T and Malona(HALL) WILSON are appointed Rutha's guardians in this court action.
Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
Ed Antonette
Goleta, California
ed_dottie@verizon.net

Posted: 12 Dec 2013 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Parker
My great grandmother was Eliza Emily Willis Parker. Born in Fort Towson, IT. I thought she was the daughter of Raleigh Britton Willis and Margaret Thompson, but maybe Rueben was her father. Harriett Moore mother? I always understood we were Choctaw, but there seems to be some mixing up there.

I would greatly appreciate any more info you have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions