Search for content in message boards

FTM 2011 Corrupted Relationship Links

FTM 2011 Corrupted Relationship Links

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 10:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
After using the FamilySearch PAF5 program, for many many years without hitch I recently decided to get Family Tree Maker 2011 and it arrived a few days ago.

I copied, and renamed, my PAF file (used by PAF5 and with 7675 individuals in it) and imported it into FTM 2011. As it is a 'new toy' I have spent every free minute either sticking pins in maps to tell it where the unknown places were or tidying up the 'facts'.

I noticed something peculiar, the other day, when editing an individual's information. They suddenly appeared to be a child in a family with a completely different surname and, infact, were not a child of that family at all. I thought it was a one off and, being new to the software, might have been due to me doing something wrong.

Imagine how nauseous I feel, today, after discovering another two such corruptions. This is in a file of thousands of individuals. How many more will there be? The program is removing people from their own siblings and parents and placing them in families where sometimes the parents were born hundreds of years earlier! And without asking me or notifying me of anything...

Is this something I did wrong at the import stage? Is it a glitch for which a patch might be released? Is it something that has been noticed by other people?

I tell you what... I am so glad that I've kept PAF5 and it's PAF file. I hope somebody will be able to tell me why this corruption has occurred. The thing is, when you have such a huge database it's impossible to keep track of problems like this. Rather - we trust the software not to do something so fundamentally stupid without asking us first.

It might be something to do with the Windows 7 64bit OS?

Re: FTM 2011 Corrupted Relationship Links

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 11:23AM GMT
Pam

Don't think it would be the particular version of Windows.

Assuming you imported the actual PAF file, I would be inclined to make a note of a few examples of the problem and then create a new file by importing a gedcom (don't worry if importing takes a while) and then look at the same individuals in the new file.

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 1:49PM GMT
Yes, definately worth a try. A match/merge (even though I've always been loathe to use it in the past) operation might flag up and show me just how widespread the problem is. I wonder if it was because I imported a paf file rather than exporting a gedcom from PAF5 and then importing that?!

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 2:17PM GMT
Pam

Not match merge. A whole new file from the gedcom.

Posted: 24 Oct 2010 10:04PM GMT
Pam,

Couple of questions:

Did you check these 'relationships' before you started the clean up?

How are you seeing this 'corrupted relationship'? Please provide some details, like what Workspace you are looking in, what Tab, what options?

Take one example, go to the People Workspace, Person Tab, then use the Relationship Button. What do you see? What should you see?

Secondly, please click on Tools, Compact file. Say yes when you are asked about a Back Up.

Were there any Errors when you imported your PAF file into Family Tree Maker?

And, HOW did you import that file into Family Tree Maker as there are options?

Russ

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 1:23PM GMT
Hi Russ,

I didn't check anything before I noticed the problems. By 'clean up' I was formalising place names and modifying user fact types so that they scanned better in the left hand panel (under the 'person' tab).

The only four errors reported, upon import, are still there and they are to do with christening dates:

29 Feb 1819, 'same day' and death 'in infancy'. The corrupted relationships are showing up in the main panel (in family listing) that shows the pedigree of the individual.

People workspace, person tab, relationship button: showing correct biological parents and siblings but then added all the children from a different family (with a different surname) as biological.

I'm consulting FTM side by side with PAF, so I know that the data in PAF was and is correct.

I imported the data as a paf file which was a straight copy:

Plan/New Tree/Import a tree from and existing file/(browsed to the PAF5 file)(gave the tree a new name)clicked continue. FTM analyses then imports. I'm doing it again so that I can describe to you exactly what happens!!

Not that it's likely that the same error would occur with the same individual twice - but I'll check in the new tree.

Well, that's interesting. Same individual showing the same wrong family!

Might it have something to do with the RIN and MRIN numbers from PAF? After compacting, it reports that the file size has been reduced by .47%. Still showing corrupted relationships.

I think I'll try starting a new tree with a gedcom exported from PAF.

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 1:46PM GMT
Don't know but I think I've figured out what I did wrong. I shall certainly update if I find anything wrong with this new tree but... Originally, I did a straight copy (but changed the name) of the PAF file and imported that. Silly me! Exporting a PAF5 from PAF seems to have fetched up 70 unrecognised dates but I'm skimming through the family tab and I haven't come across anybody who's surname does not match their father's yet...

I think I just did it wrong.. Phew! Still, hopefully, if anybody else finds corrupted links - these posts might be helpful.

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 1:50PM GMT
Pam,

I don't import from PAF, as I haven't used it for years.

I would just Detach the the individuals from the Incorrect Relationships and Attach, if required, to the appropriate relationships.

Be interested to hear what happens when you import the GEDCOM file from PAF.

Russ

Posted: 26 Oct 2010 3:35PM GMT
Pam

Their shouldn't be any difference between the PAF file you copied and a new one created by export.
Did you find the problem before or after you compacted the file? I have only once experienced a huge drop through compact and immediately went back to the backup I had made as such a huge drop could only have come from a freak deletion of data in the compacting process. (That's why its suggested you back up before compacting"

Posted: 27 Oct 2010 8:42AM GMT
The thought process in my last posting was "corrupted" and should be ignored.

Nothing better than a test.

a: Gedcom created in RootsMagic 4 loaded into both FTM2011 and PAF5.

b: PAF 5 file loaded into FTM2011

1: Loading the PAF5 file generated 43 errors. These were all unrecognised dates, but in reality only 1 should have been a problem.

2: The size of the FTM file generated from PAF was in line with my expectations.

3: Looking at my own entry seemed to show no problems with relationships across the 5 generations displayed.

4: I then looked at the relationship to my Home Person which reads "Husband of 17th great grandaughter of Richard Wherrett". There is no direct relationship to the Home Person for my late wife. The actual relationship is very complicated and in my RootsMagic gedcom load into FTM reads as follows "Husband of 4th cousin 1x removed of husband of step 2nd great grand daughter of wife of 9th great grandson of Richard Wherrett"

5: If you follow up my wifes line you should arrive at a Richard Werrett who died in 1750 in Yate in Gloucestershire. His parents are currently unknown as I have a number of candidates, but to link together another branch which is DNA identical I have put in a notional father and called him Toptree.

6: Although Richard still has the "brother" I gave him from the other branch, Toptree now stands in splendid isolation and they have a new father called Ackley Williams of Connecticut born in 1789 and died 1874. This gives the direct line back to the Home Person.

7: I am now going to generate a gedcom from PAF5 and see what happens. The process will take me about three hours I think.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions