Search for content in message boards

Eula Mae McNutt: an obituary

Eula Mae McNutt: an obituary

Glen England (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Click, Church, England, Fisher, Vaughan
This is not a regular query or notice, but I could think of no more appropriate place to post it.

Eula Mae McNutt, who has helped hundreds of people researching families in the western Virginia-eastern Tennessee area, died on 16 January 2000. She had been seriously ill for some time. She was 69 years old.

Eula Mae was the kind of person who never met a stranger and was unfailingly generous. She walked all over Scott and nearby counties in Virginia and Tennessee, finding and recording old family cemeteries that had been lost to time and overgrowth. She recovered records that had been lost in the Gate City Courthouse, and she was publicly acknowledged by Scott County's clerk. Entirely self taught, she could have easily written dozens of books on genealogy in the area, but instead quietly contributed to those of others. Had she chosen to pursue it as a profession, she could have made a nice living from genealogy. For Eula Mae, however, genealogy was a labor of love, and she did not charge for love. Anything she had, she made available for the price of postage -- a bargain indeed.

My brother, Ken, and I met Eula Mae a few years ago. We were trying to trace a ne'er-do-well grandfather who vanished soon after our father was born. Characteristically, she welcomed us -- perfect strangers, really -- into her home and told us hours of family lore that is never recorded in official records. Suddenly, we had a family.

Anyone who wishes to send a card or a letter to her family may do so at: P.O.Box 1092, Gate City, Virginia 24251.

GENGLANDBK@AOL.COM
GENGLADNBK@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

Eula Mae McNutt

Bill Roller (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
In acknowledging death notice of Eula Mae McNutt, I thank Glen England for the acurate words written about Eula. My wife and I are thankful for the few years that we have known Eula. We , as Glen and Ken England spent some time with Eula in visiting old cemeteries. We will certainly miss her. Bill and Ernestine Roller

Eula Mae McNutt

Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 10:24AM GMT
I, too, would like to thank you for letting us know of Eula's passing. My condolences to her family and friends.

I had the pleasure of knowing her through genealogy. She was very helpful, and did not hesitate to share with anyone interested.

She will be missed.

Re: Eula Mae McNutt: an obituary

Lois McNutt Epley (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2002 6:20AM GMT
It has been a little over two years since my mother, Eula Mae Lyon McNutt has passed away from a courageous battle with breast cancer. I am her daughter and would like to continue with the family geneaology where she left off. My sister in Indiana has all the books, papers and pictures that my mother had. Therefore, I have no other choice but to rely on responses from her friends that knew her and from strangers who may have any information that might help me get started. Please feel free to e-mail me any information that you might have. The family appreciates all your thoughts and prayers that went out to us during our time of loss. She is missed desperately by her family and friends.

Thank you,

Lois McNutt Epley

Glen England (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2002 7:05PM GMT
Lois,

I hope to be able to e-mail you privately. If that fails, however, please contact me at GENGLANDBK@WORLDNET.ATT.NET.

Your 3rd cousin,

Glen England
Brooklyn, New York

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Anderson, Bray, Templeton
Dear Lois,

I am so sorry I didn't get a chance to connect with your mother. From all the comments, I think she must have been an amazing individual. I am fairly new to genealogy and have come across your mother's name and work while searching for information on my 2nd great grandmother,Susan Anderson Bray. Susan was also the younger sister of Mary Anderson Payne Lyon. In your mom's memoirs on her family, she mentions Susan several times, including having pictures of her and her daughter, Sarah Sally Bray Templeton, who married John Templeton, "the outlaw with Jim Wright". I have found a lot of your mom's written work, to include cemetery listings in Scott Co., VA., and a submission that is included in the "Hancock Co.,VA and It's People Vol. 2" put out by the Hancock Co. Historical and Genealogical Society. That submission talks about Jim Wright, John Templeton and Sally Bray Templeton, and includes a picture of Sally Bray Templeton. You mention that your sister has all your mom's pictures. Would it be possible for me to get in touch with her to inquire about getting a copy of Susan's picture? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Miriam Beecher
beecherrg@aol.com

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 1:00PM GMT
I just wanted to thank everyone for his or her kind words. Eula Mae McNutt is my grandmother and all who knew her miss her dearly. Reading these messages and others that I have read online brings me to tears. She never hesitated to take her grandchildren with her to the courthouse or to the cemeteries. I did not really understand why she was always writing in her notebooks, going to the courthouse, going to the cemeteries, and always on the phone, until I got older and started reading online pieces of the work she did and the many people she helped. I never told her but I have always been so proud to call her my grandmother. She did not graduate high school but she was and is the smartest woman I have ever known. She taught me how to tie my shoes, tell time, she sewed me costumes for school plays, she was more of a mother than a grandmother. I now have two children who never got to meet their great grandmother. I want them to know what a special woman she was so I get online and I print off these special messages and the genealogy work that I can find that she wrote, so I can pass these bits and pieces onto them. It puts a smile on my face when I am reading her notes and recognize a name she researched as a name I heard often as a child. It helps me to be close to her again. I plan to buy the books Melungeons Footprints From The Past and Hancock Co., VA and It's People Vol. 2 so I can share their great grandmother's name with them. If anyone has any information on any other book she submitted information for I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you once again from our family for all of the kind words.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 8:17PM GMT
Write to me directly.

genpics1968@att.net

Eleanor Rogers Edmondson
DESCENDANTS OF DOSWELL ROGERS
per page

Find a board about a specific topic