Search for content in message boards

John Wood b. 1735

John Wood b. 1735

Posted: 25 May 2003 2:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Nov 2004 1:45AM GMT
I am seeking more information and ancestry for John Wood b. 1735 in Leichester, England. He came to Virginia first, then moved to Spartanburg, SC and married Cynthia Maiden Seay. He died in 1819 in Spartanburg, SC. He was one of the founders of Mt. Zion Baptist Church in SC. If anyone knows about his ancestry or more about his life, we would love to hear from you. He is a 5x great-grandfather to my husband.

Re: John Wood b. 1735

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 3:02PM GMT
looking for ira or fannie wood

Posted: 5 Feb 2005 3:25PM GMT
Surnames: WOOD, WOODS
Hello Jessie,
I would be interested in any information you could send me on
John WOOD b. 1735 in Liecestershire, England and d. 1819
in Spartanburg, SC. Married Maiden Seay b. 1748 in Amelia
Co., VA d. 1839 in Spartanburg, SC.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Regards,
Jack
jwood2@insight.rr.com

Jessie Cheek (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2005 1:02AM GMT
Surnames: Wood Seay Pace Bruton Brewton
All of my information on John Wood is secondhand information that I found on the internet, so I am not sure of any of it. I know that the DAR has him listed a born in 1735 in England with military service as a private in Virginia and died 1816/1817. His spouse is listed as Maiden Seay. I think that the following came from a Linda Barnes who posted on this forum a while back. "William Wood and Mary (Coleman) Wood in Leicester, Leicestershire, England started our family lines. William died 9 Feb. 1780. Mary died Nov. 1785, both are buried in the protestant Dissenters Burying Ground in Leicester. Their children were: William Wood b. 6 Dec. 1732, Thomas Wood, Katherine Wood b. 13 Sept. 1734, John Wood b. 1735, d. about 1817, Samuel Wood, George Wod b. 17 May 1740, Abraham Wood b. 12 Apr. 1746, Ruth Wood b. 1 Sept. 1748, Isaac Wood b. 23 Dec. 1751. The four brothers that came to America were John Wood, Thomas Wood, Samuel wood, and Abraham Wood. They came to Virginia in 1755. In 1764 John Wood married Maiden Seay whose father was James Seay. John and Maiden were the parents of twelve children. About 1784 they moved with their youngest children (Aseneth, John, Coleman, James, Isam, Cnthia, Annie and Elizabeth) to Spartansburg SC. Four older sons stayed in Virginia. John Wood was a millwright and carpenter and built mills on the Pacolet River, South Carolina. He died about 1817 and is buried on the family farm near Mount Zion Baptist Church. Maiden (Seay) Wood died after 1840 in Missouri"......Linda Barnes listed her e-mail as glbarnes @telepath.com.
Then in another place I found the will of John Wood posted by a Brett F. Woods of Santa Fe, New Mexico in the rootsweb Wood-L archives.
His will mentions a Jane Brewton, who is my husband's ancestor. This Jane Seay Wood was b. 2/10/1780 in Amelia Co., VA and died 1/12/1878 in GA per another rootsweb posting by Gordon W. Pace May 23, 2003.. Jane first married a Stephen Pace and had 5 children by him and then married Joab Bruton and their son, Enoch Bruton was my husband's ancestor. A certain James P. Brewton sent me all of his many years of Bruton research and he notes that John Wood married Maiden Seay about 1804. From a website on the Abraham Seay family I learned that John Wood moved to South Carolina and lived on the waters of Fairview Forest, according to the records of the Spartanburg Courthouse. John Wood was one of the founders of Mount Zion Church. (I'm sorry that I didn't notate whose Seay website that was). Anyway, pretty much all I know I found this way from other people, but here it is all in one place. If anyone wants more information on the Seay family or on the Bruton family, feel free to correspond with me directly. But this is pretty much all I know about the Wood family, except that I do have some listings of children. I have the names of 17 children for John Wood and Maiden Seay and I have the names of 5 children of Jane Seay Wood Pace and Joab Bruton as well as the names of the 5 children that Jane had with her first husband Stephen Pace. But since that has been posted previously I won't list all of that again.

Posted: 7 Feb 2005 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: Wood
I just reread what I wrote and I didn't mean to say I had 17 children for John Wood, only 12 children, that was a typo!

Posted: 7 Feb 2005 3:37AM GMT
Surnames: Wood Seay Pace Chapman Wingo Owen, Brewton, Bomar, McCrory, Moss
When I just now looked at my familytreemaker program I saw that I really did have 17 children listed for John and Maiden Wood. That is not correct I am sure. I quickly looked at the stuff I had saved from a posting by Linda Barnes?, and saw she had 12 children listed in one place (and 15 in another), so thought I made a typo. I just now looked over everything I have more carefully and see that there are some discrepancies in what I have and I am confused. Thanks to Brett F. Woods posting of the wills of John Wood and also of the will of Maiden Seay Wood, I am pretty sure of the following children:
sons: John, Coleman and James
daughters: Jane Seay (Pace) Brewton, Nancy Bomar, Polly Chapman (I guess that would be a Mary??), Patsy McCrory, Cinith Moss, Joyce Owen, and Cynthia Wingo. Although these daughters are mentioned by name in the will of Maiden Seay Wood, it is not specifically stated that they are her daughters, but they are listed as those who would equally share in her estate, so I guess we can assume they are her daughters. In John's will he doesn't list the names of his daughters, just talks about his daughters. Maiden does also mention a Mary Owen, as her granddaughter, so surely this Joyce Owen was her daughter.
Now, these leaves me in a quandry as to what to do with the list I found on the internet posted by a Linda Barnes. (If I even have my notes correct on this...??, sorry Linda if I have goofed it up, don't blame Linda, blame me) Anyway, I had that she said there were four older sons who stayed in Virginia. Then she said that the following 8 children moved with them (Aseneth, John, Coleman, James, Isam, Cynthia, Annie and Elizabeth) Then later I have a listing (I thought from Linda also) that said the children of John and Maiden were: Asenath Wood, Martha Wood, Nancy Wood, Patsy Wood, Joyce Wood, James Wood, John Wood, Jane Wood b. 12 Jan. 1778 d. 12 Jan 1778, Coleman Wood, Jane Seay Wood b. 10 Feb. 1780, Isham Wood, Memory Wood, Mary Ann Wood, Elizabeth Wood and Cynthia Wood.
So that leaves me with some extra names that weren't mentioned in the will of Maiden Seay Wood: Of course the Jane Wood stillborn Jan 12, 1778 wouldn't be mentioned, but what about Isham Wood, Elizabeth Wood, and Memory Wood?? I supposed they could have died by then, but from where did Linda (or whatever researcher I got this from) get these 3 other names, and if there really were 4 brothers who remained in Virginia, what were their names and why were they not mentioned in the will of either John or Cynthia?
A certain Larry Hutchins (e-mail Hhutchinsl@aol.com) mentioned somewhere on the internet that he thought there were 14 children altogether.
I see that on my list of 17 children that there were two duplicates. I had Mary Ann "Annie" and an Annie both and now I think they were the same person. I also had accidentally put in James two times. So, now I'll fix that on my familytreemaker program, however.....that still leaves me with 15, but if you subtract the stillborn daughter named Jane, then there were 14 children as Larry said. I wonder then if it wasn't 4 daughters who stayed behind in Virginia? Does anyone know? Has anyone figured out the correct list of the children of John and Maiden Seay Wood? If so, I would love to have this list complete with spouses. I haven't worked much on this line so don't have descendants or spouses for anyone else other than Jane Seay (Pace) Wood. I also don't have birthdates or other information on her siblings. The names on the bottom of the will of Maiden Seay labeled as Test are: John Chapman, Sr., John Wingo, Sr., John Chapman, Jr., M.N. Chapman. I am guessing then that Cynthia Wingo's husband was probably John Wingo Sr. and that this Polly Chapman's husband was either John Chapman, Sr, and that they had a son named John Chapman, Jr. and maybe also a son named M.N. Chapman.
I would love to hear from anyone else from this line. And to those who have already written me--thanks for keeping me in the loop!

Posted: 8 Feb 2005 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: WOOD, WOODS
Hello Jessie,
Thank you for the info. you have provided. It should be a big help to me and the other researchers working on our WOOD line. We have traced our WOOD line back to a John WOOD who lived in Spartanburg, SC and we believe that your John WOOD b. 1735 is an excellent prospect.

Do you know if there is a Charles WOOD in your John WOOD line? Is there a complete Descendants Outline for your John WOOD available anywhere?
Thank you again for the info. you have provided. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Jesse Lee "Jack" WOOD,III
jwood2@insight.rr.com

Posted: 8 Feb 2005 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Wood Pace Brewton Bruton
I do not have any information on descendants of the siblings of Jane Seay Wood, sorry, so don't know if there was any Charles amongst the grandchildren. I only have information on the descendants of Jane Seay Wood Pace Bruton (Brewton). I don't know if Linda Barnes or Larry Hutchins may have any information on these other lines. Linda seemed to indicate she did. So, you could try to e-mail both Larry (hutchins1@aol.com) or Linda (glbarnes@telepath.com) The other Wood researchers I have corresponded with are Judy Curtis Jackson (kenjudyj@bellsouth.net), who descends from Jane Seay Wood and Stephen Pace, and A. Lewis (Spudwurst@yahoo.com, Sherri Garner (jaguar@cox-internet.com), Debbi (GLHSBandMom@aol.com) and Joyce Wood at (Sassytroo7@aol.com). I don't know if any of these are current e-mail addresses or not, nor do I remember how they were related. I had e-mailed these folks in 5/30/03, but only heard back from Judy.

Posted: 8 Feb 2005 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: Wood Sherley Chapman Bryn Bomar
I did some browsing on rootsweb.com to see what other Wood researchers may have found on our John Wood. Interesting results. Several mentioned that he came to America in 1755 on the ship Hopewell. One of those lists a source called Silvers Charles Wood.FTW for this information. Another source listed for John Wood was the Wood Family Index, by John Sumner Wood Sr., publication 1966.
One person said he came to America with Thomas and Samuel. One person cited the source of a book called: Samuel Wood His Seven Sons and Their Descendants: by William L. and Vera Wood and Ruby M. Whitaker Buck, published by Litho Printers, Cassville, MO 65625 (LofC #88-051660) and in repository of John Hugo Cullen collection of Cookeville, Tennessee 38501
Someone else had listed that John Wood was in Capt. Robert Beall's Company, the 13th VA Reb., also designated as 9th VA Reb, commanded by Col. John Gibson Military Service 2 May 1779. (this was Michelle Moseley's rootsweb posting sheligans@netv.com)
I looked at everyone's descendant list for John Wood and Maiden Seay, and found that no one seems to have a very comprehensive listing. There was quite a bit listed under his son, James Wood, and also a lot for Jane Seay Wood (I have a huge complete line of her Bruton descendants, which are not posted here, although a bunch of her Pace descendants are posted here). Also a little bit for daughter Ceneth who married the Richard Moss. (only one more generation of children mentioned).
There was a listing of Nancy Wood and Reuben Bomar's children and one grandchild of this union.
Interesting that there are some discrepancies in the descendants of Mary Ann Wood. Some have her as married to an Edward Bomar (there was an Edward Bomar on the early censuses near John Wood family) and others have her has married first to an Edward Byrn then an Edmund Wilson Chapman (they did have a son named John Chapman). So this is puzzling. In the will of Maiden Seay there is mentioned a Polly Chapman (or her heirs are mentioned) and the will is signed by a John Chapman Sr. and John Chapman Jr. I guess John Chapman Sr. could have been the brother of this Edmund Wilson Chapman and the John Junior the son of Edmund Wilson Chapman. The birthdates of the children and so do the names of the children-so I don't think both can be correct. I would guess that the folks who have Mary Wood married to the Edward Bomar have a different Mary Wood, and not the one that is the daughter of our John Wood.
When I looked at 1790 census data and 1800 and 1810 census data for Spartanburg, SC. I come to the following guesses. In 1790 there were 2 John Woods, I guess that was the father and son. Then by 1800 there was still just one John Wood (although it appears there were two listings for this same group of people). Then in 1810 there were 4 John Woods in Spartenburg. The two on the same page are probably our father and son, John Wood. But there are 2 other John Woods, who are on separate pages and not near any names I recognize. So, things begin to get more confusing. Of course, no children's names were listed back in those days....too bad.
Well, I did find something else to interest me on this 1790 Spartanburg, SC census so glad I looked. I was also interested in this William Sherley and Thomas Sherley that appeared near our John Wood. That is from a completely different line of my husband's however.
Well, that is about all I can add to the information at this time. Do keep me in the loop about John Wood and his descendants.

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 11:07PM GMT
Hi. The reference to the name Sherley is interesting. I am researching John Sherley Wood. He was born in Twiggs Co. GA 02 Feb 1822. His second wife was Martha Bussey. His father was John Wood, b. 1788, d.1872.The father John was an ensign in 2Reg(Jenkins)GA Vol.and Mil. in the War of 1812. I have been unable to get any further info on John Wood. Any help would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions