Search for content in message boards

Mollie Cameron/ Frank Hamer

Mollie Cameron/ Frank Hamer

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 12:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to get information regardind the marriage of Mollie Cameron from Hempstead who married Texas Ranger Frank Hamer on March 18, 1911. He was a marshall in Navasota at the time. Any info regarding Mollie or the Cameron family would be appreciated. Mollie later married a man named Raymond Ford and drowned in an accident in 1937. Thanks!

Re: Mollie Cameron/ Frank Hamer

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 2:55AM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2012 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Hamer, Sims, Ogg, Cameron
I've not seen any references to that marriage...

Mollie was living in 1920 in Harris County, with her sister and brother-in-law, and is shown as "Mollie Hamer" and as a widow. I'd never dug deeper than that...

But Frank Hamer by this time was married to Gladys Johnson Sims (which looks to be another very interesting story, indeed!!!).

One other reference I have says "While in Navasota [for about 2 years from 1908?] Hamer married, but within six months his bride drowned at a Sunday School picnic."

[http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=pKQHXdgDgeoC&pg=PA17&...]

My interest comes through Mollie's mother - Sarah Cassandra Ogg...

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga, New Zealand
nickw@beekeeping.co.nz

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:16AM GMT
Back up! The marriage record found https://familysearch.org/ He's misidentified by initials "T. A." Hamer. On many early (1880-1920) census, "widowed" was often used to describe the status of couples living seperately, divorced, etal. No doubt you have Cassie's death certificate filed as Mrs. William Cameron (5 Oct 1860 - 23 Mar 1933)? It is also found on familysearch as are: Mollie Ford (16 Feb 1887 - 22 Aug 1937), Artie Cameron Nagel (18 Aug 1889 - 24 Aug 1975), Luther Cameron (24 Nov 1893 - 4 Jan 1963), Jessie Cameron Glenn (1 Apr 1883 - 28 Mar 1958), and John Cameron (11 Apr 1885 - 18 Feb 1940). Findagrave memorials: William Cameron (1852-1927) and Willie Pier Cameron (1898-1902).

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:49AM GMT
Yes, indeed! I wonder if it was that Mollie married this T.A. Hamer (what sort of confidence that this is Frank?), and that the Hamer family stories has it that she drowned rather than admitting to a divorce?

I didn't put it in my earlier post, but without something else, seeing "Widowed" in the census doesn't give me surety that the spouse is dead! Much too easy to give that response rather than explain the real circumstances back then, I guess.

So does this fit so far?

Mollie marries "T".A. Hamer 19 Mar 1911 in Waller Co - Frank Hamer had been City Marshall in Navasota since 1908. And around the time of the marriage, he started working as a special investigator in Houston.

And it would have been about 1916 that Frank Hamer met his next to be wife: Gladys Johnson Sims.

So sometime between 1911 and 1916 they divorced?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 1:33PM GMT
Who knows? For certain, and death certificate, Mollie Ford drowned 22 Aug 1937. I continue to be amazed at the "stories" families promote. Even my ancestors were guilty! Thought my father's given name was Ben for more than 50 years. Began family research and learned he was christened, "Luther". My mother knew, but didn't tell her children until after I had left the nest for the military. Go figure! Oddly, they named my oldest brother Luther Wesley but without the "Junior" attachment. The oldest sister, born after me, was christened Bennie Lou! "Oh what a tangled web we weave...........".

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 8:09PM GMT
Yes, it is a real mystery ! I find it very odd that it listed her as widowed. And according to an interview given by some of the Hamer decendants in 2000 at the Texas Ranger museum they thought she had drowned shortly after their marriage. And what a story about Hamers second wife Gladys. The book by Bill O'Neal " The Johnson-Sims Feud - Romeo & Juliet West Texas Style " is quite something! Even her family was shocked to find that she had in fact killed her first husband. So far I've not been able to find out much at all about Mollie, other than she married Raymond Ford and drowned while trying to save 2 children. I very much appreciate your response and any info you run across I'd be deeply grateful!

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 8:21PM GMT
Don't recall his name, but several years ago I found discrepancies in the bio of another Ranger, quite by accident. I contacted his descendants and provided "proof". Guess what? The bio was not changed!

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 8:59PM GMT
Not a lot to add to death certificates of her mom and siblings! You've obviously found her on census records? Regretfully, women took secondary roles, officially, to husbands. Don't think there'll be more info on her, personally?

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 10:58PM GMT
A few pieces for a timeline:

18 Apr 1910 - Waller County Census. Mollie (22) was living at home with her parents, William and Cassie Cameron. She (and her sister Artie - later known as "Tot") was a public school teacher.

27 Apr 1910 - Grimes County Census. F.A. Hamer was living in the household of Sam and Rebecca Levy, along with several other boarders. Frank was the City Marshall of Navasota.

1913 - Houston City Directory. Francis A Hamer was living at 810 Walker Ave, Houston.

1919 - Houston City Directory. Mrs. Mollie Hamer had rooms at 2 Rose Apartments, Houston. She was a stenographer.

8 Jan 1920 - Harris County Census. Mollie Hamer was living at 322 Bayland Ave, Houston, with her sister "Tot", Paul Nagel and their 1 1/2 year old daughter Glenn. Mollie was a stenographer for a bank. Paul was a commercial traveller for a wholesale grocery company. Mollie was 'widowed'.

1923 - Houston City Directory. Mrs. Mollie Hamer was living at 523 Bayland Ave, Houston. She was a stenographer. (This is probably again with Paul and Tot - in 1925, they were at this address, and in later years lived at at least one more address on Bayland Avenue).

1925 - Houston City Directory. Mrs. Mollie C. Hamer was living at 1404 Jefferson Ave, Houston. She was a stenographer.

12 Apr 1930 - Harris County Census. Raymond E. and Mollie C. Ford were living at 1306 Waugh Drive, Houston. The address had four families, as did several others in the immediate area. Raymond (as well as his parents) had been born about 1896 (ie, about 8 years younger than Mollie) in Kentucky - he was employed as a salesman for Who-Wire-Rope. Mollie was a secretary for an oil company.

22 Aug 1937 - Death Certificate. Mollie was living at 628 Sul Ross, Houston. The informant for the certificate was J.H. Cameron, of Hempstead (Not certain who this was. In 1930, there is a John H. and Irene Cameron living in Hempstead, but not sure of any relationship...). I am not able to make out the location in Precinct 6 of Waller County where the "accidental drowning" occurred.

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 3:05AM GMT
Thanks so much! Your info has helped alot - I thought that Mollie was a school teacher. I found a news article from Aug. 27, 1937 about the funeral services and it lists 3 sisters and 3 brothers one named John Cameron from Hempstead. The article says she died trying to save two children at her summer camp near Union. I found her gravesite as well as other family members at the Hempstead cemetary. Seems like someone out there would have a "my great-aunt Mollie was once married to the Texas Ranger that tracked down Bonnie & Clyde " story, but so far you are the only one I have found that knew anyone pertaining to the Oggs or Camerons. I also ran across a real estate transaction from Houston in 1930 that also lists an Alice Cameron. This timeline has been most helpful and if I can help with any research for you I live only about 1 hr. from Hempstead and would be happy to help in any way. Do you know anything about Union? Was it just a community on the outskirts of Hempstead - I have not heard of it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions