Search for content in message boards

Walne

Walne

Geoffrey Walne (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walne, Waln
Researching the Walne and Waln families in Halifax County, VA and in Philadelphia Cty, PA. Richard Walne married Patty Phelps in 8/20/1785, and acquired his first property in 1787.

Another Richard Walne was born in Halifax Cty on 11/23/1803. He married Louisa Gilbert in about 1830 in Pittsylvania Cty, VA. I am their direct descendant.

The first Walne in the US was Nicholas Waln,
who immigrated to America with his wife, Jane Turner Waln and three children, aboard the "Lamb of Liverpool" in October, 1682. Nicholas was a follower of William Penn, who brought the Quaker movement (aka the Society of Friends) to the New World and established Pennsylvania. Nicholas signed the charter of the first school in Philadelphia, the William Penn Charter School, which continues to operate as of 1999. Some eight generations of his descendants lived in the Philadelphia area through the late 1800's.

I am interested in any and all info related to the Walne or Waln family name in Halifax Cty or surrounding counties.

/ Geoffrey Walne

Walne

Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Walne, Waln
New e-mail address for Geoffrey Walne
New address: gwalne@ispchannel.com
Old address: gwalne@worldnet.att.net

Waln

Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Waln, Walne
New e-mail address for Geoffrey Walne
New address: gwalne@ispchannel.com
Old Address: gwalne@worldnet.att.net

Walne family tree.

Sharon Delle Coste (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Waun, Walne
I am researching my tree covering Waun and Walne. My eldest listing is a William Walne who married Susan Chapman in 1789 in Kettleburgh, Suffolk. One of their children Lionel Walne emigrated to Canada around 1832 with the first five or six of their 12 children. They seemed to change their name at that time to Waun and Lionel's name was changed to Leonard. Is this a relation of yours also? I can give you further info if required.

Waun/Walne Family History

Posted: 16 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Waln, Walne
Walne family in Halifax County, VA.
Hello, Sharon. My apologies for a late response. I have much information on Nicholas and Jane (Rudd) Walne, who immigrated from Lancashire, England to the Philadelphia area in 1682. They were followers of William Penn, who established the Society of Friends (Quakers) in the New World. My database includes info on about 14 generations of their descendants. I do not know of other Waun/Walne/Waln immigrants to North America, although some may have occurred.
Also, I have some info on the English ancestry of Nicholas and Jane Walne.
I would like to know more on the origin of the name Walne. I have a little info from Lancashire, and am somewaht familiar with speculation that the Walne name originated in Wales, where I have found a town named "Waun". Same sound as my name (the 'l' is silent).
My e-mail address is gwalne@ispchannel.com
I would be happy to share any and all of my info.
Kind regards,
Geoffrey Walne
Atherton, CA

Susan Chapman m. William Walne in 1789

Posted: 28 Aug 2001 8:28AM GMT
Surnames: Chapman; Walne.
Did her marriage to William Walne take place in Suffolk, UK?
Does she have any connection with the Chapman's of Halifax Co. VA?
Posted: 8 Jul 2003 9:36PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2004 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Phelps
Have you researched Patty PHELPSes family?

Re: Walne family tree.

Posted: 6 Aug 2004 5:20PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jan 2005 4:59AM GMT
Leonard Waun is my gr-gr-great grandfather. I have much information on his family in the London Ontario area, as well as his gravesite here. It is a small rural cemetary in Westminster township in London. I also have information on the Hoover family. Leonard's 4 oldest sons, Robert, James, Joseph and George entered into an arranged marriage with 4 daughters of David and Elizabeth (Yager) Hoover. The Hoovers were Mennonites who arrived in Ontario from Pennsylvania in the early 1800's. Please feel free to contact me for any further information you might be interested in.

Bill

Re: Walne family tree.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 8:11PM GMT
Hello.
If you are researching Walne/Wauns from the East of England, Norlfok and Suffolk, they are not from the same family as Nicholas Waln/e who went to USA and was a Quake, this Walne family was from Lancashire/Yorkshire.. There is no known connection between these two families.

Just in case you are looking for a connection! It's a frustrating name as its often misspelled.

Regards
Cath
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions