Search for content in message boards

Mullin Family, Aughnagar, Sixmlecross, Co Tyrone. Northern Ireland

Mullin Family, Aughnagar, Sixmlecross, Co Tyrone. Northern Ireland

Posted: 20 May 2008 2:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mullin, McCart, Logue
I need information for my family tree on Bernard Mullin. I don't have his date of birth (around 1800) but know he died in 1939 from Heart Failure. He married May Logue (No date) who died giving birth to their son Johnny in 1904. They had 2 boys and 1 girl.Packie was born in 1908 joined the RUC and died in 1974. Johnny was born in 1904 and died of polio aged 22 in 1926 and May was born in 1901; married a Mr O'Rahilly from Cork reported to have moved to USA in 1916 and died in 1969. Bernard later married again to Maggie McCart and they had 3 sons James (1917) Bernard (17/04/1920) and Terence (25/04/1922).They were nicknamed the Hamish Mullins'in and around the Sixmilecross/Beragh area. Can anyone help as I have searched numerous sights and keep coming up with "0 search results found"

Re: Mullin Family, Aughnagar, Sixmlecross, Co Tyrone. Northern Ireland

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Heaney, Mullin, Devine, Rafferty
Hello,

Are you from the Omagh/Beragh area?

I don't know much about the Hamish Mullins other than Terence is still alive and well at 86; he lives in Dungannon. He was a bus driver and before that worked for the Railway lines. His wife Winnie (nee Devine) was my great-aunt, she died some 17 years ago from heart trouble aged 68.

The Heaneys in Sixmilecross are related to the Hamish Mullins in some way; Rosie Heaney was Rafferty from Cloughfin, and Rosie's sister was married to a Hamish Mullin I think.

sorry I couldn't be of more help

Joseph

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Mullin, Riordan
I have a Bernard Mullin, I believe married 2x, one was Mary (surname?), but they had a son Thomas Mullin b.abt1873 (my maternal ggrandfather)who later married Cecelia Riordan. Their children were Thomas, Bernadette, Cecelia, and Leo(military time in CA, later moved to TX). Thomas Mullin (Sr.)was a drunk who was kicked out many times by his wife, Cecelia, eventually for good while the kids were still fairly young. The family lived in Philadelphia, PA and then moved to Atlantic City, NJ when Bernadette (my maternal grandmother) was about 15. I don't know much about Bernard, but do you think there is any connection?

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 9:23AM GMT
Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a connection. I know that a Bernard Mullin ran off with a girl years back and nooone seems to know where they went. Need to do more digging on this one. I'm at work at the minute but I will go through information I have when I get home and will let you know.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and if there is a connection we could help each other build the tree.
I don't even know your name....anyway I am sure you have gathered mine is Pauline.
B in touch soon.

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 9:35AM GMT
Thanks Joseph,

I met your great-aunt winnie she was a lovely woman. I know terence well he is my dad's uncle. He has been helping me as much as he can with the family tree but doesn't seem to remember a lot. There is some connection with the devine's and the Mullin's years before your aunt met Terence, I haven't pieced together what that connection is yet.
I know the Heaney's were connected on my grandmothers side. Margaret married my James (Jimmy) Mullin.I wish I had started this when he was still alive or at the very least listened more to him when he was telling family history.
If you can think of anything else please let me know.
Ta...Pauline

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Conroy, Devine, Grimes, Heaney, Horish, Kelly, Mullin, McCann, McCartan, McNally, Owens, Rafferty, Rush, Tierney
Hello Pauline

I know about the family of Jimmy Mullin & Margaret Rafferty, they have three sons, and one is married into the Grimes family (daughter of Jim Grimes & Ellen Tierney) near Beragh; those Grimes's are related to me through my grandfather Packie "Atty" Mullin (If you're related to those Grimes you're most likely related to me too!). Packies mother was Hannah Mullin (nee Owens); Hannah would be a second cousin of Jim Grimes mother Maggie Grimes (nee Mullin). There was even an Owens family in Drumduff related to me on both my grandmother and grandfather's sides!

I never heard about that connection between the Mullins and Devines before Terence met Winnie.

There were eight Devines altogether, their parents were Charles Devine & Ellen Devlin.
1.Mary Ellen (my grandmother, who married Packie Atty Mullin)
2.Cassie (who married Felix McNally)
3.Brigid (never married)
4.Rita (who married Eugene McCann from Portadown)
5.Nora (who married Peter McCartan from Carrickmore)
6.John (who died in infancy)
7.Jean (who married Paddy Kelly from Strabane)
8.Winnie (who married Terence Mullin from Aughnagar).

All the Devines are dead now, the last to die was Jean, who died 10 March 2006, aged 84.

I think I know now how the Heaneys were connected to you; I believe your grandmother Margaret might have been Rafferty from Cloughfin (her father might have been Daniel Rafferty (son of Frank Rafferty & Mary Horish), and her mother Ellen (nee Rush, daughter of Daniel Rush & Ellen Conroy)), and Rose was married to Pat Heaney. One of Pat and Rose Heaney's great-grandchildren is related to me; he is also a great-grandson of my great-aunt Jean Kelly. Interesting how all the connections add up.

chat later

Joseph

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Mullin, Riordan
Pauline,
I'm not sure either, but I'm intrigued. Let me know what you dig up. Thanks, Danielle

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 9:32AM GMT
Hi Joseph,
We have to be related in some way as my mum was Anna Grimes (Daughter of James Grimes & Ellen Teirney) and dad is Peter Mullin (son of Jimmy Mullin & Margaret Rafferty). I have a made up family tree I obtained from Paddy Joe McClean which I would love you to have a look at, I could post it to you or meet up the next time your in Omagh. You may be able to fill in the blanks. I would be grateful for any help you could give. My email address is mcsorleypauline@aol.com I will give you an address and contact number through email.
Hope to speak to you soon.

Pauline.

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 12:30AM GMT
Hello Pauline

I've sent you an email on our family connections.

chat soon

Joseph

Mullin & Devine connection

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 2:22PM GMT
Hi,
I'm interested in learning more about the Mullin & Devine connection. There is some Mullin connection to our Devine's. The spell

This is an excerpt from an email I got from my cousin:
----------------
my brother Gerald, told me that he met man called Mullin in Derry once who said they were related as John Devine* had a sister who had married a Mullin. He told my brother that his father happened to call to the house in Bishop Street (next to the police station) when my dad (John Joseph) was telling his dad (John) that he was joining the RUC. He said the atmosphere was pretty tense!
-----------------

I don't know if the story above is familiar or if they are different Mullins.

*John Devine was my great-grandfather who was born in Lear, Park, Co Derry in October 1877. His son John-Joseph would have joined the RUC in the lates 1920s. Have a photo of him in uniform dated 1930... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaqian/44615802/

John's parent were a Patrick Devine and Mary Kane and were married in Claudy, Co. Derry 11-Jan-1877 and would have been the parents of whatever Devine married the mysterious Mullin.

Regards,
Rob Devine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic