Search for content in message boards

Puzzled by ethnic breakdown

Puzzled by ethnic breakdown

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
I got my results just this week and Ancestry says I am 46% British Isles, and 14% Finn/Volga.Strangely my results on FTDNA come back 100% British Isles (+/- 0.01%). Big discrepancy huh? I suppose Ancestry is closer.. My paternal side is entirely Norwegian and Swedish ( at least for the last 200 years).I am beginning to think they both need to work more on this ethnic results thing...

Re: Puzzled by ethnic breakdown

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:31AM GMT
Hi. Yes I got my Ancestry DNA results back this week too. Pretty much my whole family is like, what is Finnish/Volga-Ural? I knew I had a diverse background, but something is not right. I expected more Native American than this Finnish thing. And that did not even show up.

LOL I laughed so hard before my results came back when I would read how people were complaining about their results. I still would welcome any cool info I can work with, I expected a fully diverse background and that is what i got. But, um seriously there is NO Finnish or Russian here. How funny that it is something popping up in my matches a lot.

I do seriously think something is wrong with a control group. I guess that is why it is called, BETA. I wish there was more detailed breakout like where in the USA do most people with that piece of Ancestry have ancestors...IF it's Virginia, then it will get my attention.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:31AM GMT
Thats very interesting. I just did a FTDNA test (comprehensive Genome) so I am waiting to see what they come back with.

What is puzzling to me is the fact that it says I am 83% british Isles, 9% eastern europe, when most of my ancestors are from Germany.

Lou

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:56AM GMT
Get over it. What do you think the Vikings did. They terrized England for a thousand years. Half of England comes from the Vikings of the North. Hint. Norwegians and Swedes were Vikings.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 2:13AM GMT
L O L. Ok.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 10:45AM GMT
Then why no Scandinavian showing up in either test ? My paternal side is entirely Scandinavian - and yes I am sure he is my father. If Viking genetic markers would show up in British Isles, then surely they would be in Scandinavians. Or, are all three just so similar, that there is difficulty in distinguishing one from another ? I have no problem with being of any ethnicity or ethnicities, and I also realize that each of us are originally descended from a few originators of our species, however why are so many who have no Scandinavian ( that they are aware of) being told that that is their major ethnicity, and those of us WITH Scandinavian, coming out with none?

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 1:14AM GMT
You have a valid and sound question. Count me as among those that got a HUGE percentage of Scandinavian with none in my tree. Meanwhile I have a very heavy population of French Ancestry which didn't show up at all. Some have questioned if "Southern European" could actually be representing French when they too expected some and got none but did get "SE" with no connections to Italy, Spain or Portugal. That has yet to be answered. For me I also have a segment that came back as Southern Asian - I have NO CLUE where that came from!
I did suggest through the BETA button that there should be a forum for questions and answers with the actual Genetic experts.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 2:38AM GMT
Thanks Carol, I feel that you and I are of the majority questioning the results of these tests. I think I speak for all when I say that all we are seeking is are our own true ancestral roots, and because everyone's results vary to such an extreme between testing companies, that tells me that there is a quite a way to go for geneticists to positively identify varied populations with any degree of certainty.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 1:12PM GMT
CarolHH and SCnMD, I'm on the same page as you. I understand that the Vikings 'terrorized' the British Isles and northern Europe. But that still doesn't explain the high percentage my daughter had of Scandinavian blood (32%) and no showing of documented German, French or Spanish from the 1800s and 1700s and 1600s and 1500s in her DNA test.

And ditto, for a forum to discuss these issues directly WITH Ancestry. I have sent about three emails TO Ancestry.com, and a few phone calls. Never a reply. But I'll keep trying. One poster told me that 'they' don't read these forums. Yeah. I get that. That's regrettable!

And, does anyone know if there is even a list of the different ethnicities that the Autosomal DNA divides into? Why haven't they posted it in an accessible place?

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 9:49PM GMT
I haven't come across a list of ethnicities on either Ancestry or Family Tree DNA. As far as contacting Ancestry, I think it's a great idea if everyone would! You know the saying about the squeaky wheel getting the oil.. As far as I am concerned I don't have much faith in their science as of yet.Just the fact of one person getting 2 totally different ethnic profiles on 2 different sites is a sign that they have a ways to go in their analysis of the genetic data. The overwhelming majority of testers on both sites are becoming increasingly vocal on this issue. My feeling is that the scientists are making educated GUESSES, and they should be more forthcoming with that fact when we get our results.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions