Search for content in message boards

Gonstad, Halvor Halvorson

Gonstad, Halvor Halvorson

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 1:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm helping someone who is tracking the Halvor Halvorson family in Perry, Dane Co. Halvor was b abt 1802 and his wife, Marte abt the same time. I believe that I have tracked them to Vestre Slidre, Nord Audal and Lesja in Oppland, Norway. We need to firm up the data that I have collected to be sure I'm not chasing the wrong people.

We find them with one daughter Ingri and I believe the other Halvor Halvorson near them is their son. Betsy/Bertha is possibly another daughter that we are trying to connect. She married Christen Bensen Lund in the area of Perry too.

Thanks for any help.

Stephanie

Thanks for any information.

Re: Gonstad, Halvor Halvorson

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 4:46PM GMT
Try contacting the Perry Lutheran Church ELCA, Perry Historical Center, Daleyville, WI

Try to google it. They have excellent information.

Virgil vmatz@tds.net

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Gonstad, Ragnhild
Hi,
I am tracking a Rhoda/Ragnhild who resided in the Perry Dane County area. Several of her children had biographies written, and she is sometimes described as the former Ragnhild Halvorson, and sometimes she's referenced as the former Ragnhild Gonstad. I'm thinking that your Gonstad, Halvor Halvorson is probably her father.

Ragnhild was born in Norway in 1838, and supposedly came to America around 1851. By 1860 she is married to L. M. Anderson, so I cant find her as a single woman in any census records. What do you think - does this look like a likely match?

I've been confused about why she was sometimes referenced as a Gonstad and sometimes as a Halvorson. Is your guy named Halvor Gonstad, but sometimes used Halvor Halvorson?
Jean

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 3:58AM GMT
This is Jean again - thought I would post some passages from some of the biographies written on her husband/children:

From her son Andrews biography:
.... (speaking of andrews father L.M. and then)... His wife, the mother of A. W. Anderson, was Ragnild H. Gonsted, who came with her parents to Wisconsin in territorial days. She is still living at the old homestead in Perry with one of her sons, James R. Anderson.

From her husband L.M. Andersons biography:
He married Ragnild Halvorson, in Perry, 1860 ;

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 4:16AM GMT
Hi Jean!

Often the immigrants would use their former farm name in Norway as a surname when the arrived here. Mine used the farm name in the 1870 census, and Iverson in the following censuses. I have seen this quite often.

See what I wrote here as it looks like your Ragnild is mentioned: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.lund/587.6.2.1.1.1.2.2.1...

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 4:20AM GMT
There are a lot of threads but see if you can follow my logic and the clues.

Stephanie

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 4:36AM GMT
Brilliant! oh my gosh, this is her. Thank you so much!

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 4:39AM GMT
So, was Gonsted, Gonstad the farm name back in Norway? And what is a farm name? Would that be the name of who owned it, and the workers took his name?

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 5:57AM GMT
Each farm in Norway had a name. The farms were not like here. There would be several different households on one farm there which would have a name. Each household/farm/bruk would have a number or the plasses would have a name as well. So Gonstad was probably the last farm they lived on when they were in Norway and that is why they chose it. Some farms would be like Upper Gonstad, Lower Gonstad, etc.

In Norway, back then, they did NOT have surnames. They had their given name and then their father's name with a son or dotter after it and the farm name was also given like and address. So Ragnild would have been Ragnild Halvorsdtr (Halvor's dotter) (in US Halvorson) Gonstand. If she moved to another farm, that farm name would be used. The naming conventions can be confusing and once they came to the US, they would use whatever they chose. It was much different back then.

It is quite complicated at first. You'll get the hang of it. The farm would get it's name from different things, but sometimes from a person, not often though. Say for instance, Lund which was how the thread started on the other board. Lund is a farm name which means grove so there was likely a group of trees right there. Lund is common in Norway, Denmark, Sweden and even in England or other places where the name was taken.

In the earlier years there were a few family who actually had surnames but generally they were nobility or families from other countries - you'll see it, the more research you do.

Stephanie

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: Halvorson Gonstad
Thank you, that is so helpful. Our geneology project is heading to the printer on Monday, and we had this dead end on Ragnhild. I need to go back and find your earlier post where you thought that you had figured out where they lived in Norway. I think it was from 2011.
Thank you so much again for all your help. Really appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic