Search for content in message boards

West-Kimbrell Clan

West-Kimbrell Clan

Larry Young (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2004 3:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am presently reading about the West-Kimbrell Clan. Is this book for real? I never would have thought someone could go so long before justice was rained down on them! Especially during reconstruction.
Larry

Re: West-Kimbrell Clan

D Jackson (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2004 4:26AM GMT
You must be reading the Nightrider Chronicles. Its quite a fascinating read. One thing is for real, those characters in that book really existed. They show up in census data and other forms of documentation. The Uncle Mack Sneed referenced in the book was my GGG Grandfather. Whether he found three different men hanging from trees, I don't know. I wasn't there, but I do know he existed or I wouldn't be here. The Binion listed also has family ties.

Regards,
Dayn

Larry Young (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2004 5:35AM GMT
The only thing I can see that kept them in business as long as they were was the fact they only waylaid people migrating. I know for a fact if the locals, most fought in the WBTS, in some instances fought Indians, and worked hard to grind out an existance for them and their families and they would not have put up with them robbibg from them. Its like on tv where a gang rides into town and holds the town at bay while the pilliage and plunder. It didn`t happen. What does surprise me is the locals let it go for as long as they did even though they suspected them. I guess it happens the same today when people know their is a drug dealer lives next door, but fails to get involved.
Larry

Posted: 3 Sep 2005 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Deen
I have first hand accounts in their own writing from relatives of Dan Deen. The tales are true, at least at base. I can't swear that there are no embellishments. (-:

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 1:14AM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2006 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: Ferguson
Yes, the characters are real. The Fergusons mentioned are my ancestors. And there was actually a Kimball West Clan that terrorized the good people of the area. It was during Reconstruction when the state of Louisiana was under Federal military authority. To compound that, there was a dispute over the Texas and Louisiana border in northwest Louisiana. Thus, no one had law enforcement authority control because of the border dispute. It was known at that time as "No Man"s Land." It was an ideal place , at the time, for outlaw gangs to freely carry on their activities without any interferrece from law enforcement. The good citizens of the area had no one to protect them, and decided not to be terrorized any longer.

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell, Kimbrell
The Isaac and Emeline Mitchell mentioned in the book were my great grandparents. My great Uncle Jon had one of his eyes knocked out in a fight with the Kimbrells. My great aunt Eliza (Liza)saw where the Kimbrells put people down a well. Her family lived on the property that was next to the Kimbrells. She "sat up" with the Kimbrells when Bill Kimbrell was killed by the Yankees and heard them count the bullet holes and swear to get one man for every bullet hole.
I know it sounds unbelievable, but it really happened.
There was no love lost between my great grandma Emeline and "Aunt Polly" Kimbrell!

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 12:38AM GMT
For the most part, some of the facts are correct, except, when in other stories, when they try to say that my GGG.Grandfather Dr.D.H.Boult was in partners with the Clan.They will say that he robbed and killed also that he even burned down the courthouse. From the newspaper accounts of that time. You will here words like, suspected, implicated, accused, rummored, associated with....etc. When Mclaughlin ordered the ferryman to stay put, "Boult complied". In two accounts of the story when Boult later returned to the other side, he was shot and killed. Was he then going to join the clan??? Not! This was not a Boult family member killed but one of his slaves that ran the ferry. Dr. Boult was a Union sympathizer for which he could have no affiliation with the west-kimbrell clan. They were against all that Boult stood for. Lt Butts was a family friend of the Boults.The local (yellow journalism) newspaper was quick to vilify Dr. Boult for his union sympathies. Your further research of the editor will tell the whole story.

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 11:36AM GMT
Yes , it is very real, I lived in the area where the gang was killed, and have visited the grave of some, it is in wheeling Louisiana

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 4:24PM GMT
was your relative emaline or eliza a thompson? I am researching the Thompsons around Winn and Grant Parish. Would love to hear from you if you have any information.
Thanks,
Pete

wardell15@yahoo.com

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:10AM GMT
In regards to the "No Man's Land," that event occurred long before the West-Kimbrell Gang era and it did not affect the Winn Parish area. In 1806 the U.S. and Spain disputed the Louisiana/Texas border and Gen. James Wilkinson made a gentleman's agreement with the Spanish army commander to declare the disputed land off limits to both countries. The lawless area was along the Sabine River but did not extend to the modern-day Winn area. No Man's Land was abolished in 1819 when the Adams-Onis Treaty finally settled the U.S./Spanish border.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic