Search for content in message boards

Lapeer STate Home and Training School

Lapeer STate Home and Training School

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 6:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2003 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: SLATTERY, BOUCHEY, KREINER, MCCORMICK, HEENAN, DENEEN
What was this institution used for? It originally was named the Michigan Home for the Feebleminded and Epileptic. Is it still standing, or being used? Where was it located, in Lapeer county?

Thanks a bunch,
Denise

Re: Lapeer State Home and Training School

lc (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2003 12:07AM GMT
Here is a website about the place, you will also find the census records of residents there from 1900, 1910, and 1920. Sorry, don't know anything more about the home.

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi/county/lapeer/in/

Good luck in your search!

Posted: 24 Mar 2003 1:31PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2003 5:11PM GMT
Thank you, for the web site; unfortunately, I've already found it, and may have found an ancestor. There is a small description of the facility in those web pages, but nothing more.

Denise

Posted: 23 May 2003 9:22PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2005 8:07PM GMT
The home was located on the corner of Davison (M-21) and the now DeMille Blvd. (Millville Rd). It may have taken up as much as 160 acres. It had it's own farm.

Besides the names already given, it was also known as Oakdale Center, which was it's last given name. It closed in the late 1980's, early 1990's I believe and was completely demolished in the late 1990's. I don't have an exact date, but when I do come across it I will pass that info on. A lot of history about the home was given in the newspaper when it was torn down. Also, the anniversary issue of the Lapeer County Press, possibly Aug 1931, had information on the home and I believe his name was Doctor Kay that was in charge. (All of this coming off the top of my head.)

The home employed many, many people in the Lapeer County area and at one time was Lapeer County's largest employer (competing with the Big 3). Multiple generations in families were employed there. I had a sister, father, uncle, aunts, step-grandfather and many cousins that worked there.

Oakdale (as I knew it growing up) served many purposes. It was a home for the handicapped, mentally and physically. It was a place to go for treatment of tuberculosis. For a short time it acted as the Poor House and many orphans went here, some never left until adults. Unfortunately with the nature of the home many records are sealed, and worse yet some are lost forever. (See my post titled Horror Story.) The headstones in the cemetery in the back of the property have mostly numbers and very few names. A list of these names are available from the Lapeer Genealogical Society.

I hope this helps. Many people that know tid-bits about the home can be found as easy as walking down the street. The older the better of course. My generation (25-35) knows just a little, mostly only about where it was, what it was and maybe they even walked through the abandoned buildings and tunnels at one time. Anyone younger won't have any idea about Oakdale. I guess that's why they call it history.

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 9:09PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2006 10:27AM GMT
Hey Holly - aunt Ruth worked at the School. should I get her to write a few pages about it - when she was there - probably about 1925.
I think the ruddocks were related to the family who lived in the house and he was the director.
I'll find out and get her to write - and mail them to you.
S.....

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 6:06PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2003 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Perry, Bailey
S-

My grandfather's brother, Jasper Perry was placed at the Lapeer State Home and Training School. He was epileptic. I have found him in the 1920 and 1930 census. If you had a relative that worked there, do you know how I would go about finding records about my grandfather's brother's stay. there. I'm not sure how long he was there.

I would appreciate any help, or a suggestion to the proper direction to take..

Thanks!

Dawn (Perry) Edens
Dawndee2001@msn.com

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 6:53PM GMT
I would write your question to the
Lapeer County Genealogical Society
P O box 353
Lapeer, Michigan 48446

They are just opening up the new Lapeer Historical Museum and the Genealogy Group will have one room devoted to the research of Lapeer people.
It's right on Nepessing Street - 2 blocks west of the Court House.

I am a member and will keep your inquiry to make sure it gets answered

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 7:17PM GMT
Holly - read your account to aunt ruth . She disagreed with one item - will advise that later but she is currently writing all about her job at the home. she and her 3 sisters worked there. Her aunt and uncle ran the power plant. when Dr. Kay left, Dr. Dixon was head man.
She is trying to remember the name of the girl who lived at the home and was the only graduate of Lapeer High School.
Lois somebody.???? ruth lived at north hall.
It might turn out to be a 2 pageer......will mail to you. S.

Posted: 21 Jul 2003 3:40AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2005 8:07PM GMT
That would be wonderful!! Many people have interests in Attice and in the Home. I know different people have different projects going on about the Home but some have questions about what they are able to publish because of privacy. I say just put it to paper or CD and have it for future generations when there isn't a question of legalities. Sorry haven't been in touch... been swamped with the new home and had a recent loss in the family. Haven't been myself these days and getting behind on the research, apologies to many.

Re: Lapeer STate Home and Training School

mckellar (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2003 12:53AM GMT
My Mother Thelma Mckellar was a supervisor { of one building called 34 east} at Lapeer for 24 years. There were at least ninety patients in that building.
You are welcome to call her at area code 615-746-3614
per page

Find a board about a specific topic