Search for content in message boards

Researching James "Gus" Mahoney b.1857 (Chretien Point Plantation, St. Landry Parish - LA)

Researching James "Gus" Mahoney b.1857 (Chretien Point Plantation, St. Landry Parish - LA)

Posted: 30 Nov 2001 8:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chretien
I am trying to put the pieces together from my family oral history; a story of a soldier with the name of Mahoney fathered a male child in Louisiana, Saint Landry County, at a plantation named Chretien Point.

The name of the male child was James "Gus" Mahoney born in or about 1857 in Sunset, Louisiana at the Chretien plantation to a mulatto slave woman (name unknown). Estimating a birth time for the mulatto slave woman would be around the 1840's.

Not sure of what the lineage connection was to the Chretien Plantation, but my family story is of him growing up on this plantation and eventually becoming a overseer who rode on a white horse at Chretien Point. He also had a white family producing 4 children and a black family producing 8 children. My grandfather use to speak of a half-brother running away to Chicago to pass for white, which had to be around the early 1900's. My Grandfather Clarence Mahoney, Sr. was born in 1896.

If there is any connection here to your family or if you can gide me to more research, please inform me.

Thank You very much,

Re: Researching James "Gus" Mahoney b.1857 (Chretien Point Plantation, St. Landry Parish - LA)

FREDERICK L. CHRITIAN (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 3:22PM GMT
I have a paralell story of my grandfather, His name was Simon
Chretien. Born 11/11/1892. We might have a link. Contact me at the above e-mail and we can exchange what we have.

Frederick

Re: Researching James "Gus" Mahoney b.1857 (Chretien Point Plantation, St. Landry Parish - LA)

Yvonne Mahoney (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2002 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Mahoney, Chretien
James Mahoney (b: 1857) and Lilly Roudalph (b: 1863) lived in the Sunset, LA area in the late 1800's. My family-history stories of James was descendants of a slave girl who had a child (James- "Gus") by a solider named Mahoney, not sure of where in LA or what plantation it was on. James later lived on the Chretien Plantation as a overseer who always rode on a big white horse. Not sure of what the lineage was to the Chretien Plantation, but the family story is of him having a white family of 4 children and the below are the black children he had with Lilly Roudalph, who was born a slave girl also.
James and Lilly had 8 Children together: (5 boys and 3 girls)
Ella Elnora Mahoney-Brissor (b: 1893)
Mary Marcella Mahoney-Brissor (b: 1895)
Clarence Mahoney, Sr. (b: 1896) My Grandfather
Robert Mahoney (b: 1899)
Cecile Mahoney-Jones (b: 1902)
Issac Mahoney (b: 1903)
Leo Mahoney (b: 1906)
Vincent Mahoney (b: 1907)
If any of this links to your Simon Chretien - b11/11/1892 please let me know how or where I could gather more information on my family.
Thanks
Yvonne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic