Search for content in message boards

Merging marriage dates and facts

Merging marriage dates and facts

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 8:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to merge an individual from Web Search at Ancestry with someone in my tree.

I hit the Merge button at the bottom of the Web search which is comparing the two individuals, and I go through the options and am able to merge Name, Birth, Death.. Add parents.. Spouse.. Children.

But there is no option to merge marriage dates and I must manually enter them.

Is there any way to customize what is merged? What about media and other facts?

Re: Merging marriage dates and facts

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 9:09PM GMT
Amanda,

What type of record were you looking at on Ancestry.com?

Russ

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 11:40PM GMT
I'm looking at an individual's record and trying to combine with the merge button for that individual. I attached a picture since it's hard to explain. Thanks Russ. =)
Attachments:

Posted: 5 Nov 2010 11:58PM GMT
Amanda,

Did you scroll down that window in the Web Merge comparison screen?

Russ

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 1:47AM GMT
Yes, I did, and it does not list those options. Just name, birth, and death, no matter how many facts are listed in the individual's file.

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 1:53AM GMT
Amanda,

Is that your tree? or some one elses?

I am not sure what will happen when you merge another User's Member Tree into your Family Tree Maker file. I don't use that feature are all. I look for the records that may be referred to in that Users tree and do my own Web Search / Web Merge from there and not the other Users Tree.

Russ

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 7:19PM GMT
FTM is a little strange when it comes to merging in marriage dates. The first screen that you show in your picture only has individual facts specific to the named individual on it. Marriage dates are shared facts and you wont see them there.

If the source you are merging in includes the name of the spouse then you will be offered the chance to merge in her/his details on the next screen. If you do so then you will find that is where the marriage date will be merged in. If you think about it it makes sense to do it this way as there might be more than one spouse and FTM has to associate the marriage date with the right one.

If the fact you are merging in does not include the name of the spouse (for example early UK marriage indices didn't include the spouses name) then you simply don't get offered the chance to merge in the marriage fact, and incredibly frustrating it is too.

Posted: 6 Nov 2010 7:25PM GMT
As an aside, is that a real source you are merging? Only I personally would treat any source that had someone getting married five years after he died, and having children born before he was born and after he and his wife were dead was a bit suspicious.

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 11:04AM GMT
Thanks! That does make sense. I appreciate it. =)

Posted: 9 Nov 2010 11:08AM GMT
You're right, the dates are weird with that old line. I added them on my research tree so I can see if I can find any more or corroborate anything.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions