Search for content in message boards

James Gray & Walter "Rolly/Rawley" Gray of Southwest Virginia, late 1700's

James Gray & Walter "Rolly/Rawley" Gray of Southwest Virginia, late 1700's

Clark Gray (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2005 12:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gray, McFarland, Doran, Stallard, Shannon
Looking for names of parents of my ancestor James Gray (1765-1849 Russell Co., VA). James married Elizabeth Doran in 1787, Augusta County, Virginia. The wedding ceremony was conducted by Rev. Samuel Shannon and the surety for the marriage bond was Alexander McFarland. James, his wife Elizabeth, and son "Aleck" left Augusta County, VA, around 1789 with a group headed for Kentucky. The group stopped at Abingdon, Virginia, due to threat of Indian attacks according to family legend. James Gray fell ill and spent the Winter at Abingdon, while the group travelled on to Kentucky (Samuel Shannon settled at Lexington, KY) James had a brother that was a member of this group, name unknown. The next Spring, James Gray and his family moved North into Russell County, Virginia, and settled at Glade Hollow. James Gray was living on the Clinch River when he died in 1849. His farm was located where the town of St. Paul is now situated. Some of James Gray's children were: Alexander McFarland "Aleck" Gray (my 3xGrt Grandfather), Nelson Gray, John Gray, Harvey Gray, James Gray, Polly Gray Dickenson, Jane Gray Leece, Levicy Gray Shoemaker, Bonapart Gray, and George Gray. Alexander "Aleck" Gray moved to Scott County, Virginia, around 1830 after living in Franklin County, Tennessee from 1811-1829/30. Aleck Gray bought a farm on Stanton Creek, Scott County, VA and also owned land on the Guest River.

In the late 1700's and early 1800's, down the Clinch River in present-day Scott County, Virginia, lived another Gray, Walter "Rolly/Rawley" Gray. According to surveyors records from the 1780's, Walter "Rolly" Gray owned land on Stanton Creek on the Clinch River about 1786-1787. Rolly Gray had a son, John Gray who married Martha Broadwater, and their son, William "Rev. Billy" Gray m. Nancy Green Stallard.

Aleck Gray (my ancestor) and Rev. Billy Gray would call each other "Cousin" when they met, but I have yet to find the connection. Aleck's father, JAMES, and Billy's Grandfather, WALTER 'ROLLY', could have been brothers or possibly an Uncle-Nephew relationship. At any rate, I think they were very closely related. Both were slaveholders, settled in close proximity, and their descendants acknowledged a kinship.

Would appreciate any help with this family.

Clark Gray

Re: James Gray & Walter "Rolly/Rawley" Gray of Southwest Virginia, late 1700's

Posted: 3 Dec 2005 9:22AM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2006 9:33AM GMT
Surnames: Gray, White, Forrester
Would any of your Gray's be connected to a James Allan Gray. Born in Tenn (?) died in Kansas. First wife Mary White, second wife Caroline Susan Gray(my grandmother).

Clark Gray (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2005 1:15AM GMT
Surnames: Gray
Thanks Connie,
I do not have that name in any or my information. Do you have any dates?

Clark

Posted: 5 Dec 2005 5:24AM GMT
Clark,

Are you aware that some of John's grandsons moved to Kentucky sometime between 1860 and 1874.
I have never been able to find out where they went in Kentucky and exactly who all went, I believe at least 2 of the grandsons moved there, at least temporarily. Possibly more.

Do you have any idea who was in the group that travelled to Kentucky? Wouldn't it be natural to travel with cousins?

Jeanie

Clark Gray (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2005 9:56PM GMT
Jeanie,
Didn't you mention Johnson County, KY to me one time. Was there a Webster Gray that lived there? I believe that Paintsville is in that County, just two counties from Elliott County, KY, where my family lived.

Clark

Re: James Gray of Southwest Virginia, late 1700's

Posted: 15 Dec 2005 12:33PM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2006 1:45AM GMT
Clark,

Have you participated in the DNA Project?

Richard Gray

Clark Gray (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2005 1:09AM GMT
No, I haven't participated in a DNA project, but sounds like something I would be interested in.

Posted: 18 Dec 2005 5:29AM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2006 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Gray, Shannon
Clark,

The DNA Project for the Gray/Grey surname can be found at:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/GRAY%20or%20GREY%20Surna...

That page has a link to the ordering page.

Hope to have you participate!

Regards,

Richard Gray

Posted: 11 May 2006 6:25PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2006 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gray, McKee, McCullough
Thank you, Richard, for posting the info on the Gray/Grey surname DNA project. I read through 2 years of message board inquiries before getting to your specific site address. I don't know if he will be interested, but I have a male Gray cousin, direct descendant of Thomas Gray who died in 1810 in Pennsylvania. If my cousin is interested, he can pursue the DNA study further. Nancy Smith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic