Search for content in message boards

George Washington Tucker, Decatur Co., TN

George Washington Tucker, Decatur Co., TN

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 12:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tucker
Searching for information about my 2nd great-grandfather, George Washington Tucker, b. 7 Jul 1801 and d. in Decatur Co., TN 15 Dec 1895.

Re: George Washington Tucker, Decatur Co., TN

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 11:57AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2007 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: tucker
What would you like to know? GW was brother to my 3rd Great grandfather. I assume that John W, Sarah Emily & Robert Keeton, James Robert Keeton & Maggie C Brigance, James Bonnie & Lele Butler, and Robert Ben is your line? May be some errors in my data as I have not tried to keep track of linage after 1900. I think that he may be your 4th Great-Grandfather?

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 1:49PM GMT
GW is my 2nd great-grandfather. I am interested in "Who" he was. His occupation is listed as Blacksmith in Dectur County and he and wife, Millie Davis, are buried at Lafferty Cemetery. Born (where?) in 1801, he must have been one of the first white settlers in Decatur Co. Did he build a house on Turnbo Creek that still stands? Where did he go to church and school? Who were his parents and where did they come from?

I'll be grateful for any help.

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 11:29AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2007 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: tucker
First- There is some incorrect information out there as to who the parents were. Family information indicates that John Tucker was father and they came from the carolinas (which john tucker and county of origin is still to be determined). Believe what is out there with caution, as many people will copy and present incorrect data.

Now John Tucker & wife plus Jacob and George W and 5 daughters left the Carolinas about 1806 and moved to Tenn (somewhere near Nashville) and stayed about a year. Then moved onto Hopkinsville Ky and Cadz area. Jacob enlisted in War of 1812 here and served 4 months. Some time before 1818-1820 they moved back to Tenn in the Dickson Co area/Williamson Co area where Jacob married in 1818. Not sure exactly where George W was at this point as the census only listed head of household. George W next found in 1830 in Wayne Co where he had married Milly and had first child. Some time before 1840, both Jacob and George W moved to Perry Co Tn and are on that census. Shortly after that Decatur Co was formed from Perry and surrounding counties, and in 1850 George was in Scotts Hill while Jacob was in Decaturville/Dunbar area. There George practiced his trade of Blacksmith, and from what I understand probably made several Blackpowder rifles amoung many other things for his customers.
These two were NOT the only Tuckers in the area at the time, and quite a few other families were already present. Joseph Tucker lived near Clifton and migrated into the area around 1800, as did other Tuckers in Hardin, MCNairy, etc. counties.

If you will go to Ancestry's World Connect webpage and search for Tucker in Decatur Co, a lot of good data is there, but also quite a few errors. He still has a lot of relatives in the Decatur/Henderson Areas and Jerry Butler probably has much good information also.

Many of your questions do not have a specific answer at this time, in that few records were kept and neither George W or Jacob could read/write (at least no evidence of it), and those records that did exist at one time were destroyed in fires which were common (many courthouse fires due to lighting and heat) All we as descendents can do is find some of the pieces, fit them together as best we can and try to make a judgement call as to what it means.

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 1:36PM GMT
Thank you very much for this info. I will follow up on the suggestions. Meanwhile, please contact me at dkeeton59@earthlink.net.

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 7:19PM GMT
Do you have names and dates for the five sisters of George W. and Jacob? I found Jacob's dates (1792-1885) on one of your earlier messages.

Posted: 16 Nov 2013 9:20PM GMT
Enoch Tucker born in 1786 had a son named George Washington who was born march 17 in Rutherford county Tennessee in 1830. I got info at Lawrence co archives says he died by Nov 1853. He was 13 child of 14 children in family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic