Search for content in message boards

Franklin County, Georgia Scotts

Franklin County, Georgia Scotts

Posted: 25 Jul 2002 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scott, Stonecyper, Collins, Webb, Shuler
Looking for Asa J. SCOTT of Franklin County Georgia who married Sarah STONECYPHER, daughter of Benjamin Stonecypher and Elizabeth Angle Collins.

Asa and Sarah Scott had a son named Jeff or Jeptha who married Lithonia WEBB. Lithonia, born Feb. 20, 1858 and died in Gainesville, Hall Co., GA.

Jeff / Jeptha and Lithonia Scott had son named Jeff Lee Scott, born April 11, 1889 who married Mary Naomi SHULER.
Both buried at New Holland City Cemetery - New Holland / Gainesville (Hall County) Georgia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Franklin County, Georgia Scotts

Judy M. Orr-Rabon (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2002 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Scott
My Great Grandmother was Martha Carolina or Caroline Scott, born Nov. 6, 1878 south of Macon, GA. She had two brothers around her age, John and George. The family stories say that they were full blood Cherokee, possibly Choctaw or Creek. Could these be related? Please e-mail me so that we can discuss the possibilities.

Posted: 5 Oct 2003 9:58PM GMT
Judy,
did you find your Cherokee Scott ties? Did your Scott family ever go to Arkansas? I'm having a hard time trying to find any Scott lines with Cherokee ties in Arkansas.
Billie Molder Millsap
bemillsap@prodigy.net

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 3:01AM GMT
Billie,

I have a lady working on that end of my research now. It was more than I could handle! If I find anything, I'll let you know. As far as I know, several of them came here to SC and all left but my Great Grandmother. I did get a response from a gentleman in Oregon, but have not been able to tie his lineage in with mine as of yet. I wish you luck and will let you know if I find anything.

~Simply Judy~

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Baxter
Judy,
I appreciate that. It seems that every time I find a piece of the puzzle it adds a few more pieces. The Scott line hasn't been easy.
I'm trying to find anything on Asa Scott in Franklin County and Elizabeth Jane Scott that married John Baxter in DeKalb County in 1850. I dont know that these people were Cherokee but my greatgrandmother Mary Ann Scott was . I sure would like to tie her to somebody.
I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
Billie

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 3:22AM GMT
Billie,

Elizabeth Jane Scott is going to be our "connection". I recognize that name from some of the preliminary information I have gotten from my geneaologist. I will see what I can find on it for you tonight and send it to you. I will get with her in the next few days or so and see what she has and send it to you as well. I know what you mean about tracing the Scott lineage. It gave me a fit for years until I finally decided to give up and let somebody experienced finish it up for me!
My Great Grandmother, Martha Carolina Scott, was supposedly full-blooded Cherokee. With the information I have come across, she is definitely Indian, but she may be Creek. I'll keep you posted!

~Simply Judy~

Billie Millsap (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2003 2:07PM GMT
Judy,
Thank you for going to so much work for me. I've been on this line for so many years and been hit with this same brick wall. I would LOVE to tie my Scott line in somewhere.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Billie

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 1:36AM GMT
Billie,

Hopefully we will take down this brick wall together because I am truly tired of hitting it, too! I'll be in touch and you keep in touch, too.

~Simply Judy~

Debby Scott (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2003 3:44AM GMT
Hi, Judy & Billie:

I had to jump in here and ask; if either of you have a John B. Scott in your Scott line. He is my GG Grandfather. He was born 1811 Kentucky. He is of Cherokee descent. My Scott family is suppose to have ties with Scott's in Georgia. Finding his family and siblings has been one of my brick walls. I can not find him for years between his birth of 1811 and up to before 1850.

Here is my Story. My father told me our Scott line has ties with Scott's in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, the Carolina's, Tennessee, Georgia, possibly Flordia. He told me that our line of Scott's came from a friendly tribe in or near Flordia, possibly Georgia called the "Miami" tribe. [Not the Miami tribe in Peru, IN]. Has either of you heard of this?

A cousin told me that the Scott Families started in Pennslyvania followed the railroads to Kentucky. Some families stayed in the Carolina's, while others stayed in Kentucky, and others migrated into Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia. Anyway, the families split up in Kentucky. So, we are all linked, but it is finding that link.

Also, my cousin told me that prior to the Cherokee's being sent out West alot of them escaped. He told me alot of families jumped a train near what today is Bowling Green, Kentucky. He said my GG Grandfather was one of them and he came to Indiana. Has either of you heard of this?

I have [4] Scott lines going. [1] My John B. Scott line [2] James Scott b. 1755 Pennslyvania and [3& 4] two Archibald Scott lines from Kentucky. These two Archibalds are within a few years of each other. These other [3] lines of Scott's; I do not know, if there is any Native American Heritage or not. You are both welcome to view my on-line family tree for a possible connection. I will add link at the bottom. I would be interested in viewing your Scott families.

It has been so hard in finding my Scott family connections, as well. I have had this brick wall for years. I had an Aunt and Uncle hitting this same brickwall until there deaths. I figured my John B. Scott, [if, the story is true] must of came to Indiana; probably somewhere around the 1830's. None of this has been verified and I have not ever found any of my Scott family on the Dawes Rolls. Anyway, sounds like we are all hitting the same brickwall. I will look forward in hearing from you both. You can email me at debby_scott@yahoo.com.

Thank you
Debby Scott

My Family Tree
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=debbysco...

My Family Website:
http://geocities.com/debby_scott/my_heritage.html

Posted: 9 Oct 2003 5:02AM GMT
Debby,

It does seem odd that all three of us are literally hitting the same brick wall. I think there is a connection, we will just have to find it! I am going to forward your link to the lady that is doing my geneaology so she may contact you and/or Billie as well.
I do know that my GG Grandmother, Martha Carolina Scott, had a brother named John and one named George. She was born in 1883(?) so their birth dates would not be too far off from that. Perhaps your John could be Father or Uncle to my John, George and Martha Carolina.
I have heard stories of how many Cherokee took off for the swamps of southern Georgia and northern Florida. Many of those same trails were used by blacks before, during and after the Underground Railroad set-up. It has also been pointed out to me that there is a possibility my GG Grandmother was Creek and not Cherokee. The Creek are indigenous to that area in southern Georgia where she was born. The Miami Indians, from my understanding, were mostly from the area that is now called Miami. There are many stories available online about the Miami Circle that was just found in downtown Miami. Look it up, you may find it interesting!
There is a tribe of Cherokee folks in St. George, GA. They are known as The Cherokee of Georgia (duh!). I have some contact with their Tribal Secretary, but have never gone so far as to ask for names off of their Tribal rolls. I will be attending their Tribal Council meeting (hopefully) the first weekend of November. Maybe I can get some info while I am there. If so, I'll let you all know.
It is very hard to trace ancestors that are/were Indian because of all the mess the government put them through, but where there is a will, there is a way! We will find them though! Have faith, cousin!

~Simply Judy~
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions