Search for content in message boards

John Leander Erwin

John Leander Erwin

Mark Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2004 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Erwin, Dickenson
Does anyone know where John Leander Erwin and his wife Elizabeth (Dickenson) are buried in Carter County? I'm planning a "graveyard run" on my upcoming visit to Carter County, and the Erwins are one of my Carter Co. ancestors whose graves I haven't found. So if anyone knows the name of the cemetery where they are buried and could give me directions, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: John Leander Erwin

Posted: 4 Oct 2004 2:48AM GMT
Edited: 8 Dec 2004 6:39AM GMT
Surnames: Erwin
Mark,
I don't have the information you asked for about the grave but believe I can get you in touch through the Lewis Co. Historical Society. I also am supposed to be a descendant of John Leander Erwin but cannot make the connection to Silas Ervin. Let's talk and try to work out details.

Don Meenach (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 2:04PM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2005 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: Leander, Erwin
Mark,

I have a listing of Carter Co graves, over 20,000 names. This list contains no name as John Leander and Elizabeth Erwin. My list contains two different Erwin cemeteries. One of these Erwin cemteries have two stones that I cannot read, so they may be what you are looking for. I have digital pictures of the grave stones and will send them to you for your inspection if you want. Additionally, I do not know the location of either one of these cemteries.

Don M.

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 1:22AM GMT
I hope by now everyone interested in finding the graves of John Leander Erwin and Elizabeth Dickinson Erwin in Carter Co, KY has found them. If not, get back with me. get back with me anyway, maybe we have info to share. I am a descendant.

Posted: 6 Jun 2010 1:30AM GMT
Don, John and Elizabeth Erwin have no stones but I'm fairly certain I've located the cemetery. Lots of rocks and the legend I have says there were no stones erected. Get back with me and see what we have on them. Almira Erwin (John and Elizabeth"s granddaughter) was my grandmother. Janice

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 2:59AM GMT
Janice, the information I have says they were buried in Plantation Cemetery, which I assume was on their property as John was a tobacco grower and owned a plantation. I would LOVE to know where they are buried as I have never seen their graves either. Could you tell me the location?

I may be in Kentucky in September for a family reunion, so I'd like to do some cemetery hunting then.

Vicki Porter Pasterik, granddaughter of Grace Erwin Porter, d/o Stephen R. Erwin, s/o Oscar Erwin, s/o John L. Erwin

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 3:01PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Vickie, I know where the Erwin "Plantation" Cemetery is. I was there last Memorial day (2010). It is a beautiful old cemetery. I do agree that John L and Elizabeth are buried there and if I knew exactly where I would erect a stone for them. However, no one seems to know where. There is an area of the cemetery that has new burials and a section that has old stones, as in rocks. Although the family seems to have been affluent, John L died during the Civil War and things changed, especially finances. It could be that the able-bodied slaves they had left them and Elizabeth no longer had discretionary income. They did have slaves (old women) who stayed for years. The cemetery is in an area of Carter Co called Smokey Valley just off Route 2. I would be glad to show you when you're here if our schedules meshed. The reason they are not listed on any cemetery survey is because they have no stones. It has been pretty well documented by family lore that that is where they are buried. Janice

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Erwin, Justice
Oh, OK. I've been to that cemetery, I think, but I didn't see the stones, so that's why I didn't realize they were buried there. Is that the same cemetery that Mary Jane Knisely had a stone place for John Brandon Erwin?

It would be nice to place stones for John L. and his wife, but it's hard to know where they might be. ;)

I'll check with my cousins who took me there (Lowell Erwin) and see if he has heard the stories about where the graves may be.

Thanks!

I have Justices in my line also. Hannah Justice Hall was my ggg grandmother.

Posted: 4 Jun 2011 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Erwin, Justice, Doty, Plyler
Yes, it's the same cemetery. I have some of Mary Jane Knisely's research. Is this the same Hannah Justice whose father is Allison Justice. I found Allison's grave and placed a stone for him. His son Jonathan was my g grandfather. Jonathan's son John was my father's father. If I have it figured right Hannah and Jonathan were bro and sister. I have found another descendant of Hannah's. her Name is Gwen Plyler and she lives in Florida. Do you know of her? I met her last year in Greene Co TN and we went to a family reunion of the Doty's. That's farther back in all of our line. Jonathan and Hannah had a bro named Valentine (Felty) who has a descendant named Lydia Justice-Edwards. She lives in Boyd Co, KY. We correspond and see each other quite often. I live in Greenup Co. Janice

Posted: 7 Jun 2011 2:56AM GMT
Surnames: Erwin, Justice, Hall
Hi Janice!
Thanks! Are there still stones piled on the graves that you believe to be John L. and Elizabeth's? Where, in the cemetery are they located? I would like to take another ride out there. It's probably been at least 10 years. I hope to be there the weekend of Sept. 10th, if not sooner.

Yes! That's the Hannah! Gwen is a cousin and she's on our MyFamily site for the Halls. Hannah married Riley Hall, and they were the parents of my great grandfather, Alfred Hall.

I haven't even started trying to piece together the Justice's yet. Hannah and Riley's sons seem to be all named after Justices. Alfred was named after a relative also. I'm sure that will be fun to figure out. :) I have the Doty's on my chart, as well. I don't believe I've rubbed shoulders with Lydia yet. Maybe when I get into this line a little deeper.

Vicki
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions