Classification: Query
M(A)CGREGOR/M(A)CGHIEL (Isle of Mull, Scotland & Ontario, Canada):

James MCGREGOR + Sarah/Marrion SHAW
Alexander MCGREGOR + Flora/Ann MCKENZIE
Margaret MCGREGOR + John Duncan MCCUAIG
Ellen MCLEOD + Charles William LEBANNISTER
Isobel Marion LEBANNISTER + George Brian BARRON
Robert Brian BARRON (my father)

Who were the parents of James McGregor, husband of Sarah/Marrion Shaw? My best estimate is that he was a son of Grigor McGhiel/McGregor & Christiann MacDougall but I have no proof of this.
He and his wife were married in 1823 in Torosay, Isle of Mull, Argyllshire, Scotland and all of their children were born there as well.
The known children of James & Sarah/Marrion (Shaw) McGregor were:
1. Marianne McGregor (b.1823 Torosay, Mull, Argyll, Scotland; d.unknown; possibly married Nathan Johnson in Michigan, U.S.),
2. Nelly McGregor (b.1825 Torosay, Mull, Argyll, Scotland; d.unknown),
3. Alexander McGregor (b.1827 Torosay, Mull, Argyll, Scotland; d.1895 Kincardine, Bruce, Ontario, Canada; married Flora/Ann McKenzie in Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland in 1850),
4. Neil McGregor (b.1828 Torosay, Mull, Argyll, Scotland; d.unknown),
5. Ann McGregor (b.1830 Torosay, Mull, Argyll, Scotland; d.unknown).

M(A)CKENZIE (Sutherland-shire, Scotland & Ontario, Canada):

Alexander MCKENZIE + Flora/Ann MCLEOD
Flora/Ann MCKENZIE + Alexander MCGREGOR

Who were the parents of Alexander McKenzie, husband of Flora/Ann McLeod? My best estimate is that he was a son of Kenneth/John McKenzie & Christian McRae but I have no proof of this.
He and his wife were married in 1819 in Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland and all of their children were born there as well. They lived at Lochinver, Sutherland, Scotland according to their daughter's death record. The known children of Alexander & Flora/Ann (McLeod) McKenzie were:
1. Flora/Ann McKenzie (b.1826 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland; d.1909 Kincardine, Bruce, Ontario, Canada; married Alexander McGregor),
2. Alexander McKenzie (b.1833 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland; d.unknown),
3. Kenneth McKenzie (b.1836 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland; d.unknown).

M(A)CLEOD (Sutherland-shire, Scotland):

Flora/Ann MCLEOD + Alexander MCKENZIE
Flora/Ann MCKENZIE + Alexander MCGREGOR

Who were the parents of Flora/Ann McLeod, wife of Alexander McKenzie? My best estimate is that she was a daughter of Alexander McLeod & Katherine McDonald but I have no proof of this. I was told by my great-aunt that the maiden names of the women along her maternal line (her mothers mothers mother etc) were McLeod/McCuaig then McGregor then McKenzie then McLeod and then McDonald. This means that the mother of Flora/Ann McLeod must have been a McDonald.
Flora/Ann McLeod and her husband were married in 1819 in Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland and all of their children were born there as well. They lived at Lochinver, Sutherland, Scotland according to their daughter's death record.
The known children of Alexander & Flora/Ann (McLeod) McKenzie were:
1. Flora/Ann McKenzie (b.1826 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland; d.1909 Kincardine, Bruce, Ontario, Canada; married Alexander McGregor),
2. Alexander McKenzie (b.1833 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland; d.unknown),
3. Kenneth McKenzie (b.1836 Assynt, Sutherland, Scotland; d.unknown).

Re: My Brickwalls - MCGREGOR, MCKENZIE, MCLEOD

Diane Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 10:08PM GMT
Have you tried the IGI on www.familysearch.org

All of Scotland is supposedly done.

Posted: 16 May 2010 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: McGregors from Scotland
Hi I notice you had been looking for death of some of the
McGregors - if you have no chance of searching scottish
records, then I could have a try for you....

My email address is - bigburylass@Googlemail.com if you
are still inquisitive about your ancestors from Scotland
where I live,

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 7:09AM GMT
I believe that I can help you with the McKenzies and McLeods including some photographs. The families left Ontario for North Dakota and British Columbia. Some came down from B.C. to Washington State. If you contact me, I will get more information to you.

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 3:22PM GMT
HI

Thanks for your reply! Would love to see some photographs as well. Since I'd posted my enquiry, I was able to find out more about the McGregor's, McKenzie's and McLeod's going back further into the past but not the more recent times...and definitely not what any of the families did once they came to Ontario (other than my branch).

Maggie

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 8:20PM GMT
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a McKenzie cousing who had a professional genealogist go back to the 14th or 15th Century. I don't agree about one of the ancestors in the early 19th C, but is has been so many years I can't remember which one! My McKenzie relatives in Washington always said we were related to Giselle MacKenzie and were proud of that. Years later, I looked into her background to see how we were related, and found that she had "adopted" the name early in her career! The Canadian side in Vancouver also said that we were related to Alexander MacKenzie the explorer, but I am not sure of the connection.

If you go to my webpage, I have a photograph of one of the
McClouds, I do not have all of the genealogy online yet, but will try to post it soon.

Best Wishes,

John Anderson

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 8:24PM GMT
Hi John

I'm trying to find the web address for your webpage...

Thanks!
Maggie

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 7:31AM GMT
Surnames: McKenzie
I'm looking for information on a George McKENZIE who was born in Scotland and went to North Dakota via Bruce County Ontario. He may have also spent time in Manitoba. I cannot find his birth in Scotland, but it would have been in 1854/1855. His parents were Roderick McKENZIE and Catherine McLEAN. His mother may have remarried to someone with the surname ROSS after Roderick died. According to a biography I found he came to Canada in the early 1870's, and to North Dakota in 1879.
Was married first to Anna (unknown surname) but married in Scotland for the second time to Margaret CAMERON.
Does he fit anywhere in your group of McKENZIES who went to North Dakota?
The British Columbia connection also caught my eye. George travelled to Vancouver in 1903 to meet his niece Annie (or Nan) when she arrived from Scotland. He took her back to North Dakota with him where she was married in 1907.
Win MacKenzie
mackenzietree@shaw.ca
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions