Family of John SMITH of Westminster Township

Family of John SMITH of Westminster Township

Posted: 9 Jan 2003 8:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 9:30PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, JONES, FOSTER, KILBURN
Hello,

I would like to correspond with descendants of the following couple:

John SMITH, born about 1802 in Upper Canada, married Sarah JONES on 25 Dec 1826 at St. Thomas. Sarah was probably the daughter of William Jones, who settled in Westminster in 1818 and owned Lot 65 east on the North Branch of Talbot Road. John Smith purchased the north half of Lot 67 west on the North Branch of Talbot Road in 1834. Sarah (Jones) Smith died about 1842/3 and John married secondly Susannah KILBURN on 13 Feb 1843. Susannah died 22 Jul 1884 in Westminster Township, but I have not yet found the death date or burial place for John Smith.

I believe John and Sarah had the following children:

Levi Smith, b. 17 Mar 1828; d. 26 Dec 1887; married Susanna B. (--?--)
Hiram Smith, b. 6 Dec 1829; d. 4 May 1929 (Yes, he was almost 100 years old); married Rebecca (--?--)
William Smith, b. 29 June 1831; d. 7 Oct 1902; married Phoebe Ann (--?--)
Julia Ann Smith, b. ca. 1833
Enoch Smith, b. 2 Jan 1836; d. 7 Dec 1909; married Lilley Melissa (--?--)
Sarah Malinda Smith, b. 6 Jun 1842; married John Foster

Regards,
Marjean Workman

Re: Family of John SMITH of Westminster Township

Posted: 10 Jan 2003 4:05PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2010 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Roberts, Kilbourne
Hi Marjean,
I don't have any information on the burial of John Smith, but I have collected some data on the family. I connect to the Kilbourne family via a Susannah Roberts (1816-1874) who married a Robert Kilbourne (1807-1881).
The Susannah Kilbourne who married John Smith, was the d/o Aaron Kilbourne and Hannah Woodhull.
I also have a marriage for Julia Ann Smith and I've collected some information on her family as well.
Do you know if John Smith and Susannah Kilbourne had any children?
Best Wishes,
Carol

Spouse: Smith, Julianne
Birth Place: Westminster Township
Residence: Westminster Township
Father: John
Mother: Susan

Spouse: Diary, Hiram
Birth Place: Westminster Township
Residence: Westminster Township
Father: Richard
Mother: Mary

Marriage Date: 9/7/1858
County: Middlesex
Microfilm Roll: 1030060

Posted: 13 Jan 2003 10:07PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 9:30PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Dicey, Dicy, Kilbourne, Jones
Carol,

Thank you for the information on the parentage of Susannah Kilbourne. As far as I know, John Smith and Susannah Kilbourne did not have any children. They did not marry until 13 Feb 1843, and the youngest child I find living with them in the censuses, was Sarah Malinda, whom was born 6 June 1842. I assume she was the youngest child of John Smith and Sarah Jones, and that Sarah died soon after the birth of Sarah Malinda.

Also thank you for the marriage of Julia Ann Smith. In looking at census and various other records, it would appear that Hiram's surname was Dicey or Dicy. I believe their children included Susan, Ira L., Richard and Sidney A.

Thanks again,
Marjean

Posted: 9 Jan 2010 10:03PM GMT
Are you still pursuing the SMITH/JONES family? Although I don't have any info on SMITH, I am trying to locate family of a William and Margaret JONES who lived and died in Westminster, Middlesex County. William was b. 1769 in New York and died in Westminster in 1862. His wife was also b. in New York in 1781 and d. in Westminster in 1871. The only children I know of are: Catherine "Katie" and Hiram. Do you have any other info on your JONES family?

Re: Family of John SMITH of Westminster Township (William & Margaret Jones)

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 2:07AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2010 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: Jones
Hello,

Yes, I am still pursuing the Smith and Jones families, with William and Margaret Jones being my 5th g-grandparents. Hiram is their proven son, the youngest of three sons, but I have never heard of Catherine “Katie”. Could you please provide more information on her?

The children I have for William and Margaret, who married about 1800, are:

i. Elizabeth, b. 22 Oct 1801; d. 17 Jul 1867
ii. John, b. 20 Aug 1803 or 30 Apr 1804; d. 9 Dec 1884
iii. James, b. 2 Apr 1805; d. 27 Oct 1866
iv. Hiram, b. 16 Apr 1808; d. 26 Oct 1886
vi. (prob.) Sarah, b. say 1810; d. ca. 1842

Regards,
Marjean Holmes Workman

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 3:44AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2010 7:18PM GMT
Hey, this is great to finally find a cousin researching the same JONES family that I am. William and Margaret JONES are also my 5th great grandparents. Their daughter Catherine "Kate" was b. around 1800 in New York. She married prior to 1825 to Stephen VAIL. Stephen VAIL d. Oct. 14, 1834 and Catherine remarried to a Samuel PIERCE/PEARCE on Fe. 9, 1846. Catherine is buried in the Scottsville Cemetery, Westminster Twp, Middlesex County under the name PEARCE and husband Stephen VAIL is buried near her. I only know of 2 children of Stephen and Catherine: Sarah Ellen VAIL and Hiram VAIL. I think there may have been a William as I find Catherine PEARCE living with a William on the census. Do you have the maiden name of Margaret JONES?

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 10:19PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2010 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: Vail, Pearce, Pierce, Jones, Milk, Milks
Well this does explain the gravestones of Stephen VAIL and Catherine PEARCE near the JONES family in the Scottsville Cemetery. I thought I had taken a photo of Catherine’s, since she is buried next to Margaret, in the lot of David Jones, but I am not able to find it now. Have you been able to find a death record for Catherine? I do not seem to be able to find one, even though she died in 1876. I would assume William Vail is also her son, but more research is needed. I have seen one family tree with Margaret’s maiden name given as MILK/MILKS, but no documentation was included. There is no correct Margaret Milk/Milks in “History and Genealogy of the Milk – Milks Family,” by Grace Croft, so this is just a clue. You may reach me at mhworkman at comcast.net.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 7:07PM GMT
I just came across this post and noticed that you are have Dicey in your family. I have a Richard P Dicey in my line. His son John 1806-1866 married Jane Dow 1811-1860. They had a son George Dicey 1836-1898 who married Sarah A.C. Woodward 1840003-1936. Their son, George L Dicey 1880- ?, was my grandfather.
I would be like to know if this is part of your line. I know that Richard immigrated from Canada and have been unable to locate any information on him in Canada. Any information that you have would be greatly appreciated.
Flora from MI

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: Dicey, Dicy, Smith, Shaver
The Richard Dicy/Dicey in my database was born 14 Aug 1802 in Canada and died 10 Jun 1878 in Westminster Township, Middlesex County, Ontario. He was married to Mary Shaver, who was born about 1807 and died 3 Sep 1866. Both are buried in the Brick Street Cemetery in London, Ontario. I am researching their son, Hiram Dicy/Dicey who married Julia Ann Smith on 7 Sep 1858. My interest is only in the descendants of Hiram and Julia Ann and thus I have not researched the Dicy/Dicey ancestry. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Marjean

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 12:59PM GMT
Thanks for responding. It is not that same John Dicey.
Good luck in your research.
Flora
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions