Search for content in message boards

Grace Downing Rasdall Wells Died SOMEWHERE - can't find her after 1940 Census

Grace Downing Rasdall Wells Died SOMEWHERE - can't find her after 1940 Census

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: Downing, Rasdall, Kroll, Wells
This is my great grandmother. As far as I know she lived always in the Leavenworth/Atchison Kansas area. I have her residence in Leavenworth, KS living with a female friend in 1940 and that's the last I can find - I have searched everything I can think of to find out WHERE and WHEN she died.

Most of her relatives are buried at the same cemetary in Leavenworth, Kansas but she's not there. I can't find any newspaper/obituary listings - I'm not having luck with searching because I can't look thru thousands of Social Security Death Listings and I don't know how to narrow it down. I put in all relevant information and all that comes up is locations that have no relevance to her at all.

I really would like to know where she ended up. No one else researching her has been able to find out either?

Most of Grace's family is buried at Springdale Cemetary in Leavenworth County, Kansas but I don't see Grace listed there.

What can I do? Any suggestions?
Attachments:

Re: Grace Downing Rasdall Wells Died SOMEWHERE - can't find her after 1940 Census

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 7:29AM GMT
She may not be in the social security death index for a number of reasons; she may not have had a card if it wasnt required for a job; she may have had one, but died prior to the index in the early to
mid 1960's, or noone reported her death to SS
Have you checked for obits for any siblings or children? That might give a location or other married name for her. Was Downing her middle name, or her middle name? Do you have an exact birth date?

Re: Grace Downing Rasdall Wells Died SOMEWHERE - can't find her after 1940 Census

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 10:46PM GMT
Thanks for your ideas. Yes, she may never have worked a job, come to think of it, that would have involved SS. She was born Aug 28, 1878. Her maiden name was Downing. She married me grandfather but they were not together long. Then she married John B. Wells. She had two children with my grandfather, John Marvin Rasdall and two with her second husband. With my grandfather she had Iva Mae Rasdall, my grandmother, and Walter Rasdall who also has disappeared but much earlier than Grace did. My grandmother Iva Mae was 34 when she died of cancer leaving 5 children behind, the youngest being just 2 yrs old. I know where Iva Mae is buried in Mount Calvary. And her mother and father and several brothers and sisters were buried in Bethel Cemetary but no Grace.

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 11:52PM GMT
Thanks for your ideas. Yes, she may never have worked a job, come to think of it, that would have involved SS. She was born Aug 28, 1878. Her maiden name was Downing. She married me grandfather but they were not together long. Then she married John B. Wells. She had two children with my grandfather, John Marvin Rasdall and two with her second husband. With my grandfather she had Iva Mae Rasdall, my grandmother, and Walter Rasdall who also has disappeared but much earlier than Grace did. My grandmother Iva Mae was 34 when she died of cancer leaving 5 children behind, the youngest being just 2 yrs old. I know where Iva Mae is buried in Mount Calvary. And her mother and father and several brothers and sisters were buried in Bethel Cemetary but no Grace.

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 2:10AM GMT
Here is a mention of John Rasdall's death, it is not a real obit, and no mention of his children

ATCHISON DAILY GLOBE JULY 20, 1950
George Remsburg's notes: John Rasdall, 72, who was born and
reared on the old Rasdall homestead
south of Oak .Mills, where ,
his parents, Joseph and Elizabeth
Rasdall, settled at an early day
and where they spent the remainder
of their lives, died in his home
at Weiser, Ida., recently, and was buried there.
He was a brother of William Rasdall,
who died two months ago, and whose death wasmentioned in The Globe at the time. John Rasdall was here for;
his brother's funeral. Two sisters,Miss Myrtie and Miss Rose Rasdall,
and a brother, James Rasdall, still
live near Oak Mills

There was a Walter Rasdall, age 20 years old, who died in Washington State on September 6, 1915 at the age of 20- I wonder if he went to live with his Dad in Idaho?
http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Record/View/F4D137BB27F53C...

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 3:58PM GMT
Have you tried writing to Leavenworth, Kansas for a death certificate. Many of the records are not yet digitized and not on the Internet.

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 1:29AM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Downing, Rasdall, Kroll, Wells
That's very interesting. It's a possibility. John Marvin Rasdall (Grace's exhusband) died in Washington, Idaho. Prosser Washington is about 260 miles from Washington, Idaho. I'll investigate further and see where it leads thanks. The dates seem compatible.

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 1:34AM GMT
No, I haven't. Leavenworth doesn't seem particularly generous with its information. I hate their obituaries, I don't know if its common or not but they just give a link and you have to pay for the article from the Leavenworth Times. I would think though that if she died in Leavenworth she would be in the same cemetary where her mother and father are buried as well as several brothers and sisters. Its worth a try - my son still lives in Leavenworth what office would have those records for that time period I never thought of having him personally go to city hall and check. I remember getting my birth certificate a few years ago to get my driver's license and I had to pay for it, you have to pay for just about everything. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 1:56AM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 2:06AM GMT
Surnames: Rasdall, Downing, Kroll, Wells, Fink
Anna Rasdall, John Marvin's sister, was living in Weiser Idaho in 1930. She moved there from Leavenworth around 1914, having married Frank Schmitz, I believe he was a doctor. It seems John Marvin moved to Idaho around 1915 or 1916 so that is probably why he chose that location to move to - his sister living there. It's possible that Walter followed as well but as I'm learning there are more people than imaginable with the same name. My mother's name was Helen, my father was Louis Fink and there was a couple Helen and Louis Fink living in a location far away obviously two different couples.

John and Anna Rasdall (John Marvin's wife) are the only two Rasdall's listed in Hillcrest Cemetary.

Interesting, John Marvin's sister was Anna Rasdall Schmitz, his wifes married name was Anna Rasdall.

Dr. Frank A. Schmitz is also buried in Hillcrest Cemetary but it doesnt saying anything about Anna (Rasdall) Schmitz being buried there.

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 10:40AM GMT
Yes you have to pay for everything these days. I've spent quite a bit on birth certificates, etc. Vital records were generally handled by either the county clerk or the county recorder. So I'd recommend trying the county offices first.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic