Search for content in message boards

How to share my family tree with relatives?

How to share my family tree with relatives?

Posted: 7 Mar 2009 7:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have my tree in Family Tree software, how do I share it with my family members that don't have my software? Do I need to upload it to Ancestry.com and then can they see it there? Is that difficult? I thought if I burned a CD and sent it to them then it wouldn't be updated very often and would have to burn a new CD every time. If they don't have Family Tree software on their computer, could they even view what was on the CD? I don't want to make my tree public yet as I have just started working on it again after several years and may have many mistakes I need to fix but it would still be worth sharing with family members. I am not a techie, so grateful for any help.

Re: How to share my family tree with relatives?

Posted: 8 Mar 2009 6:34AM GMT
Since the Ancestry Family Tree software is free, you can send them the software along with the data file.

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 3:46PM GMT
How do you find the data file?

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 5:30PM GMT
It's in your AFT directory with a suffix of .AFT.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2012 6:51PM GMT
To Robert, I've just read this answer to someone's question. I am a full member of Ancestry but have no offline tree. I've now downloaded my tree (a Gedcom) from ancestry but have no software to open the Gedcom. Where is the AFT directory you mentioned in your last post? - I didn't know there was a software to use without having to buy it. I want to share my tree from my computer with family. I'd like to make a cd copy to send to them. My Vista is saying windows cannot open the file because it doesn't recognize the file. I'm dumb on computers.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 7:04PM GMT
Since you haven't installed AFT, you won't have an AFT directory. AFT used to be given away free by Ancestry.com but after they bought FTM they changed over to that and charge for it.

Your best bet is to download and install Ancestral Quest. That's the successor to AFT. They have a subset of commands that are free. You can also pay for an unlock key.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 7:15PM GMT
Thank you for respondong so quickly. I'll go and have a look now. Thank you.

Kind Regards
Ros

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 6:34PM GMT
hi there, is there any way of saving the ancestry tree or family tree maker tree as a pdf file so i can email to my brother? he wants to pass it on to someone else who is coming to our house on friday. so i need it done asap if possible!
i have ftm 2009.
can i save ancestry tree as a pdf straight?
John Tyner in wicklow ireland

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 7:52PM GMT
You're in the wrong place, we support eh AFT program here, but if you use Google Chrome for your browser instead of IE, it has a built-in PDF "printer". Just select what reports you want to print and select that "printer".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic