Search for content in message boards

Downloading source images in FTM for Mac?

Downloading source images in FTM for Mac?

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 9:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Isn't the downloading source image feature included in the Mac version of Family Tree Maker 2010?

I imported my Ancestry.com tree into FTM for Mac. This captured almost all of the data from my online tree -- facts, photographs, notes, etc. But I'd also like to download the images attached with the sources.

I tried following this FAQ, which says it applies to both FTM 2010 and 2011: http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduse...

But when I go to my Edit Source Citation window, the button "Download Image If Available" is missing.

Re: Downloading source images in FTM for Mac?

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 12:52PM GMT
ejg,

Please re-look at that article. What you described, didn't look like you had the right Tab open once you got to the Edit Source window. You want to select the Media tab.

Russ

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 3:36PM GMT
I was in the media tab. All the other buttons looked just like they do in that illustration; only the bottom button was missing.

Posted: 20 Nov 2010 9:56PM GMT
ejg,

Please go to this website:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com

and put these two words into the Keyword Search box

mac media

One of those articles should help you.

Russ

Posted: 24 Nov 2010 11:29PM GMT
I emailed Ancestry technical support about this. Here's the response, in case others are encountering the problem:

"Unfortunately at this time the feature to download source images if available is missing from the Family Tree Maker for Mac. We are aware of this issue and are working to correct it in an upcoming patch. Until this time there is no way to download the source images aside from manually accessing the record and downloading them, then attaching them to the tree."

Glad to know that they're working to fix it and plan to address it with a patch.

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 4:07AM GMT
Well I hope they do actually mean "patch" and won't wait until they release a whole new paid upgrade. I will not be holding my breath though; I am still rather skeptical of their commitment to Mac users.

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 4:12AM GMT
Patch clearly means patch. A support person wouldn't use that word to mean "next software package."

They've already released one patch, a few weeks ago, correcting the child sort order issue and some other things. That's good speed for software that was only released in November.

And the Ancestry iPhone App has likewise gone through regular updates -- today they released a big one that doubled the included features.

They're showing that they're committed to regularly improving and updating their software.

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 7:12AM GMT
I agree the signs are encouraging, and I certainly hope it proves to be true. Getting the "Download Source Image" option implemented into FTM was a long wait, hopefully its inclusion into FTM Mac is imminent.

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 7:34AM GMT
ejg25

Actually the patch was issued after the usual sort of interval for FTM.

THe question is whether they choose to follow the example of FTM2008 and issue more than one patch, or later versions and address issues in a FTMM2011/12 depending on how they label it.

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 7:46AM GMT
Two months is a very good interval, the more so if that is their regular practice.

I'm not seeing any ambiguity in the word patch. Patch means patch. Future version means future version.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions