Search for content in message boards

George and Martha (James) Gray, Maine

George and Martha (James) Gray, Maine

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2009 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: Gray, James
My family married into this Gray family and I am looking for the book detailing this genealogy, by C.P. Stevens (b.1867). Can anyone help me find a copy? I see that the LDS library has one, but haven't been able to locate any other copies. Many thanks in advance.

Re: George and Martha (James) Gray, Maine

Lynn (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: GRAY
I have a copy of the Higginson book entitled "Carbon Copy of Genealogical Records and notes on the GRAY FAMILY of New Hampshire and Maine - Particularly, decendants of JAMES and TAMSON GRAY of Portsmouth, Newington and Barrington, N. H. - Compiled by Casimir P. Stevens." - 127 1/2 Broadway - Shawnee, Okla. 1916. Is there something I can look up for you? (Sorry if this posting went through twice, partially. Some type of error.)

Jennifer Sokol Blosser (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2006 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Gray, McFadden, McFaden
Lynn, thank you so much for offering to help. I don't know anything about the Gray line in NH - or those particular Grays, but would you mind looking up the McFadden/McFaden family name and seeing whether you find anything in your book? Many thanks in advance for your time.

Lynn (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2006 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: Gray McFadden McFadded
Jennifer -
I typed all as closely as possible, even where there were typos and misspellings. McFadden is sometimes shown as McFadded, but I believe that to be a “typo”. If you need any more, please let me know.

Lynn

"Carbon Copy of Genealogical Records and notes on the GRAY FAMILY of New Hampshire and Maine - Particularly, decendants of JAMES and TAMSON GRAY of Portsmouth, Newington and Barrington, N. H. - Compiled by Casimir P. Stevens." - 127 1/2 Broadway - Shawnee, Okla. 1916

Pg. 38
“Children and secendants of Christopher and Anna (5) (Gray) Thompson*, (children all born in Embden, Maine).:
i. Climena Thompson, b. April 25, 1813; d. Feb. 17, 1878; m. JACOB LOWELL, son of Jacob (2) Lowell and her grandmother’s sister, Grace, dau. Of Thomas McFadden. Both died in Fargo, North Dakota, to which they had previously removed and resided. We have no records of their family except their son:
(1) Jacob Lowell, is, (1914) an attorney at law at Fargo, North Dakota. His son:
i. Jacob Lowell, is, (1914) living in Minneapolis, Minnesota.”
(The page goes on to tell the siblings of Climena Thompson, if you need them.)
*ANNA 5 GRAY (Joshua 4, John 3, George 2, James 1)

Pg. 41 (This is the same ANNA 5 GRAY, above).
“OBITUARY
Published in the “Reporetr” a Madison, Maine, publication, on the accasion of the death of Mrs. Anna (Gray) Thompson, in 1893:

“Mrs. Anna Gray Thompson.”

This venerable woman, the oldest person in Madison, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Albert Veasie, near the old town house, on Tuesday, Feb. 14, after a brief illness. In the Reporter of Feb. 2, there was an excellent notice of her life and family history prepared by her great granddaughter, Lottie B. Moore of Madison. At the time that article was written she was in good health for one of her great age. She was born in Embden, March 25, 1795, and had nearly reached the close of her ninety-eighth year. Her maiden name was Gray, and her father moved from the coast to Embden several years before her birth. Her grandfather, Thomas McFadden, went to that town in 1790, lived to the great age of 100 years and 20 days.
In 1813 she was united in marriage to Christopher Thompson, and lived happily with him until his death twelve years ago in Embden on the farm where he was born. Their wedded life of sixty-eight years was exceptionally long. She had lived through nine complete decades, and a portion of two others. To have touched eleven decades of modern history is an event worthy of special notice. Her life had its origin in the days of the pioneer, but she had those qualities which fitted her for the burdens of that time. The mothers of that period were as heroic as the fathers, and helped them to overcome the difficulties that are met in turning the forests primeval into the fertile fields. She lived long and well, and fell asleep after an eventful and useful life.
The funeral occurred on Friday, and was made very impressive by the presence of several generations gathered to do honor to her memory. The services were conducted by Rev. C. V. Hanson of Skowhegan. Seven of the ten surviving children were present. Those were Albert and Mrs. Veasie, Madison; Mrs. Anna Hilton, Anson; Christopher, Lewiston; Moses G., Skowhegan; Lyman G., Boston; and Abiel, Central Falls, R. I. The burial took place at Solon. Her name is now starred with those sturdy settlers who made the valley of the upper Kennebeck a fruitful and pleasant inheritance for their decendants.”

Lynn (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2006 1:32PM GMT
Surnames: Gray, McFadden, McFadded
Sorry, Jennifer - this is an additional posting because I neglected to add pages 15, 22 and 23, at the end.
Lynn

Jennifer -
I typed all as closely as possible, even where there were typos and misspellings. McFadden is sometimes shown as McFadded, but I believe that to be a “typo”. If you need any more, please let me know.

Lynn

"Carbon Copy of Genealogical Records and notes on the GRAY FAMILY of New Hampshire and Maine - Particularly, decendants of JAMES and TAMSON GRAY of Portsmouth, Newington and Barrington, N. H. - Compiled by Casimir P. Stevens." - 127 1/2 Broadway - Shawnee, Okla. 1916

Pg. 38
“Children and secendants of Christopher and Anna (5) (Gray) Thompson*, (children all born in Embden, Maine).:
i. Climena Thompson, b. April 25, 1813; d. Feb. 17, 1878; m. JACOB LOWELL, son of Jacob (2) Lowell and her grandmother’s sister, Grace, dau. Of Thomas McFadden. Both died in Fargo, North Dakota, to which they had previously removed and resided. We have no records of their family except their son:
(1) Jacob Lowell, is, (1914) an attorney at law at Fargo, North Dakota. His son:
i. Jacob Lowell, is, (1914) living in Minneapolis, Minnesota.”
(The page goes on to tell the siblings of Climena Thompson, if you need them.)
*ANNA 5 GRAY (Joshua 4, John 3, George 2, James 1)

Pg. 41 (This is the same ANNA 5 GRAY, above).
“OBITUARY
Published in the “Reporetr” a Madison, Maine, publication, on the accasion of the death of Mrs. Anna (Gray) Thompson, in 1893:

“Mrs. Anna Gray Thompson.”

This venerable woman, the oldest person in Madison, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Albert Veasie, near the old town house, on Tuesday, Feb. 14, after a brief illness. In the Reporter of Feb. 2, there was an excellent notice of her life and family history prepared by her great granddaughter, Lottie B. Moore of Madison. At the time that article was written she was in good health for one of her great age. She was born in Embden, March 25, 1795, and had nearly reached the close of her ninety-eighth year. Her maiden name was Gray, and her father moved from the coast to Embden several years before her birth. Her grandfather, Thomas McFadden, went to that town in 1790, lived to the great age of 100 years and 20 days.
In 1813 she was united in marriage to Christopher Thompson, and lived happily with him until his death twelve years ago in Embden on the farm where he was born. Their wedded life of sixty-eight years was exceptionally long. She had lived through nine complete decades, and a portion of two others. To have touched eleven decades of modern history is an event worthy of special notice. Her life had its origin in the days of the pioneer, but she had those qualities which fitted her for the burdens of that time. The mothers of that period were as heroic as the fathers, and helped them to overcome the difficulties that are met in turning the forests primeval into the fertile fields. She lived long and well, and fell asleep after an eventful and useful life.
The funeral occurred on Friday, and was made very impressive by the presence of several generations gathered to do honor to her memory. The services were conducted by Rev. C. V. Hanson of Skowhegan. Seven of the ten surviving children were present. Those were Albert and Mrs. Veasie, Madison; Mrs. Anna Hilton, Anson; Christopher, Lewiston; Moses G., Skowhegan; Lyman G., Boston; and Abiel, Central Falls, R. I. The burial took place at Solon. Her name is now starred with those sturdy settlers who made the valley of the upper Kennebeck a fruitful and pleasant inheritance for their decendants.”

Pg. 15
“4 JOHN GRAY (3) (George(2), James (1)):
…He married, at Wiscasset, Maine, Aug. 4, 1762, BETTY BOYNTON, daughter of John and Hannah Boynton of that place, and granddaughter of Caleb and Christan Boynton. She was born Nov. 28, 1746, and died at Embden, Maine Aug. 13, 1829. Both were buried in a family cemetery or burial ground on their farm in Embden.
The births of five of his children were recorded in the Town Records of Wiscasset, and all of his children were born in Wiscasset, Maine.
Children:
*6 i. Rachel, b. Oct. 13, 1762; m. Oct. 25, 1782, Lieut. John Hilton; d. March 7, 1850.
ii. Hannah, b. Oct. 13, 1764; d. Aug. 25, 1840; m. May 12, 1781, JACOB SAVAGE a Revolutionary War Soldier.
*7 iii. George, b. Oct. 16, 1766; d. Aug. 11, 1819; m. Feb 1, 1789, Rebecca McFadden.
*8 iv. Joshua, b. Dec. 24, 1768; d. in June, 1847; m. Hannah McFadden.”
(The page goes on to tell the siblings of George, etc., if you need them.)

Pg. 22
“7 GEORGE GRAY (4) (John (3), George (2), James (1)
Was born at Wiscasset, Maine Oct. 16, 1766; died at Anson, Maine Aug. 11, 1819; married, Feb. 1, 1789, REBCCA McFADDED, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Savage) McFadded. He lived on a farm about 1 ½ miles west of the present North Anson. The farm of about 230 acres remained in the family until recent years. He and his wife were buried in a family burial ground on the farm and the graves are marked by suitable grave stones.
Rebecca McFadden was born in Georgetown, Maine Nov. 17, 1768, and died in Anson Sept. 26, 1844. (See McFadden Records).
Children born in Anson Maine:
*12 i. Daniel, b. April 26, 1790; d. at Napolian, Arkk. Oct. 1, 1842; m. Sept. 12, 1814, Deborah Dudley.
ii. Hannah, b. Sept. 11, 1791; m. JESSE HILTON Dec. 27, 1829.
*13 iii. Betsey, b. Sept. 16, 1793; m. Oct. 3, 1811, DAVID HILTON; d. Jan. 13, 1885.
*14 iv. George, b. April 9, 1796; d. April 14, 1883; m. 1st, Miss McKinney; 2nd, Miss Baker.
v. Rebecca, b. Nov. 7, 1797; m. JOSIAH PAIN; d. Feb. 18, 1881.
*15 vi. Thomas, b. Feb. 23, 1801; d. July 24, 1888; m. June 5, 1825, Sarah Cragin.
*16 vii. Robert, b. March 12, 1803; d. Sept. 18, 1859; m. in 1830, Nancy Bun ker.
*17 viii. Rachel, b. July 26, 1806; d. April 9, 1871; m. Joshua Savage.
ix. Joshua, b. March 7, 1809; d. March 18, 1810.
*18 x. Joshua, b. May 31, 1811; d. May 14, 1860; m. Martha Cower (n?).
*19 xi Abiel, b. May 4, 1813; d. April 14, 1852; m. Sarah L. Dickerson.”

Pg. 23
JOSHUA GRAY (4) (John (3) George (2), James (1))
Was born in Wiscasset, Maine Dec. 24, 1768; died in Embden, Maine June 1, 1847; married HANNAH McFADDEN, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Savage) McFadden. She was born at Georgetown, Maine June 22, 1774 and died at Embden, Maine, April 20, 1857 “aged 82 years”, 10 months” (Grave stone inscription, family burial ground, Embden, Maine). They resided in Embden, Maine.

Children born in Embden, Maine:

*20 i. Anna, b. March 25, 1795; d. at Madison, Maine, Feb. 14. 1893; married in 1812, Christopher Thompson.
*21 ii. Joseph, m. Tamson Savage.
*22 iii. Hannah, m. Joseph Boyington.
*23 iv. Joshua, b. Nov. 27, 1803; d. Aug. 27, 1876; m. Betsey Williams.
*24 v. Martha, m. Fletcher Thompson.”

Jennifer Sokol Blosser (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 5:33AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2009 2:16PM GMT
Lynn, you are a saint!! So many thanks for your time and obvious effort in looking up and transcribing for me. Pls. let me know if I can do anything for you! Sincerely, Jennifer.

Lynn (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 1:23PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2009 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: GRAY, DESY
Jennifer - I'm glad I could help. Of course, those lines continue on down, and backward, so you MIGHT want to purchase the book, or let me know and I can transcribe more, or scan some of the pages and transmit them to you. My husband's grandmother is the "Gray" family that has us all stymied. She was supposedly from NH, I believe, but his dad was born in Brunswick, ME. Annie Gray was his grandmother and his grandfather was Napolean Desy, who was from Canada. If you ever come across anything that remotely sounds like that, I'd love to hear from you. Again - glad I could help you!
Lynn

Posted: 10 Feb 2006 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Gray
Hi, I've been looking for Carl Christopher or Christopher Carl Gray, born about 1848 in Maine. May have been Bangor, ME. Have found him as C.C. Gray in 1880 KS. Census, along with his wife and 2 Sons, William Warsaw Gray and Claude Emmett Gray, who was my Grandfather. C.C. Gray went missing from the family about 1897 in Colorado. Have never been able to find who I thought might be his parents or any information after he disappeared from his Family. Any help or information, much appreciated.

Lynn (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2006 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: Gray
Hello Charlene. I don't see any of the names that you mentioned in your posting in the "Genealogical Records of the Gray Family - 1916". Sorry that I couldn't be more help.
Lynn

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 7:41AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2011 1:30PM GMT
Surnames: Gray, Stevens
I have a copy of Gray family compiled by Casimar P Stevens between 1900 - 1920. I have the tree on disc. Ken Gray. [Australia]
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions