Search for content in message boards

Mount St Joseph's Orphanage

Mount St Joseph's Orphanage

Melissa Muhly (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2002 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moody, Thompson, Ross
Would like any information regarding this orphanage that I believe was opened in 1915 in either London Ontario or Tillsonburg Ontario. Thanks.

Re: Mount St Joseph's Orphanage

Jane Smith (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2002 2:44AM GMT
Hi Melissa
I am familiar with Tillsonburg and have never heard of this facility. I'll do some checking and if I find any info, I'll contact you.

Melissa (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2002 12:52PM GMT
Hi Jane, thanks for your response..I just found out from my father that the name of the orphanage was Prostestant Orphans Home on Richmond Street in London, Ontario.
Thanks again.

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 4:52AM GMT
Surnames: Bolland
Hello:

The original orphanage was called Mount Hope Orphanage, run by the sisters of St. Joseph in London City, Ontario, Canada. It opened in 1868 with two children from London City (my great-grandfather and his brother, although I can't find any other info about them or why they were orphans), 15 children from Ontario, and three elderly people who needed care. I know that at some later date the orphanage moved, so perhaps the one you are looking for is the same orphanage (I'm almost positive) but moved to a new location.

My great grandfather's name was Andrew Bolland, and his younger brother was Michael Bolland. I found them in the 1871 Ontario Census online, and I hired a researcher to give me more info about the census. She found that they were listed with the other orphans and some nuns in the orphanage.

Hope I've been of help to you and maybe you have more info for me.

Lorene Olsen Bowles in Cleveland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic