Search for content in message boards

Old maps of Monroe

Old maps of Monroe

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for old maps of Monroe, LA.
Specificaly downtown in the 40's/50's and around 1910/15.
And also the "Bristle Ridge" area from the early 1900s. (The community on the edge of Monroe on winnsboro road/hwy 15.)

Anyone know where to find any of those?

My great great grandmother Hattie Smith owned and lived in a store with my grandmother in the 40's/50's on South 11th st. and though I havens been able to look to see of it might still be there, I'm pretty sure that either the civic center, I20 or train tracks were built on top of it.

And my great grandfather cleared one of the main roads in the bristle ridge area after his father was shot in the same area in 1915, so I'd like to see what the area looked like then as well.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Old maps of Monroe

Posted: 8 Oct 2010 1:31PM GMT
You can either find these maps at the Annex building on South Grand St next to the court house or they might have copies in the genealogy department at the main branch of the Ouachita Parish library. Lora Peppers is a person you might want to contact there.

Ouachita Parish Library
1800 Stubbs Ave
Monroe, LA 71201
(318) 327-1490 (ask for Lora Peppers)

http://www.ouachita.lib.la.us/genpage.html

Good luck on your search!

Christi Atwood Harris

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 11:33PM GMT
What was the name of the store?

Posted: 15 Nov 2010 1:45PM GMT
Let us know if you find what you are looking for, ok?

What is your Great Grandfathers name? When was he shot? I'm interested in this as I have family in that area and a step great grandfather who was shot by his step son. Family Lore has it that he was protecting his mother.

Good luck in your search!

Posted: 15 Nov 2010 6:55PM GMT
His name was Lewis Miller. My dad said he died in 1915, but I can't find the news paper articles at the library.

The story is that he was shot by a neighbor who didn't like Lewis after the neighbor's barn mysteriously burned down.
But I've heard another variation that it had to do something with pigs.

Posted: 15 Nov 2010 7:00PM GMT
I'm not sure, I'll have to ask my grandmother.

I remember she said they sold some food and candy there, and it was near train tracks because her and her friend would walking down the tracks to come home from school.

And they lived in the upstairs portion of the store.

Posted: 15 Nov 2010 7:38PM GMT
Did you try the court house? I will ask my great grand aunt she used to walk pass that area on her way to church.

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 3:21PM GMT
I don't recall if you have gotten in touch with us here in the Genealogy Department (Ouachita Parish Public Library), but according to our newspaper index, Lewis (listed as Louis) M. Miller was shot in 1914. The index shows articles appeared in the News-Star September 9, 1914 (Page 1, Column 2), September 14 (Page 1, Column 6) and September 16 (Page 1, column 5). The notes field in the index just states "Killed by Unknown persons". We have indexed newspaper obituaries from 1825 - 1965. 20th century articles mainly come from the News-Star. When the News-Star is indexed to the present we will go back and index the Ouachita Citizen, the Monroe Morning World, the Monroe Dispatch and the Free Press.

As to maps, my boss Larry Foreman works in Special Collections, which does have many old maps of Monroe and Oauchita Parish. You may want to talk to him. The Library number is 318-327-1490.

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 5:56PM GMT
First off, let me say: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
I Have been to the library to look through the entire 1915 News Star. I figured that since I didn't have an actual date, maybe I had missed it, or had been given the wrong year.

I haven't had time to come back and ask about the maps yet, but I am going to try to get up there soon to get a copy of the articles now.

Posted: 16 Nov 2010 7:05PM GMT
I have already copied them for you! Just come on by anytime this week! Glad to help!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic