Search for content in message boards

McAllister from Wisconsin

McAllister from Wisconsin

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 11:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Dec 2011 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: McAllister (McCallister)
I'm looking for a James McAllister from Madison, Dane county, Wisconsin. James was born in 1828 in Ireland and died 1916 near Decatur, Nebraska. He had came to the US about 1850. He had also served in the Wisconsin Infantry during the Civil War. James was then stationed in Decatur, Burt county, Nebraska after the War. He was part of the GAR there in Nebraska. He married Ida Van Brunt about 1881. James and Ida had the following children; James, Frank, William, Dewey, Grace, and Nellie.

There was a James McAllister listed in the Dane county, Wisconsin 1860 census in the town of Rutland. This James and mine share about the same information as to when they had been born and came to the US. The James in Rutland was married to a Jane (who had later married a Mr. Johnson about 1965) and had a daughter named Mary (who was born in New York about 1851). On my James I don't know if he was married before Ida. I'm quessing that he could have been because he was in his 50's when he had married his wife.

I'm wondering if the two James McAllister are the same person. And if they are does anyone have any more information on Mary McAllister and her parents.

Update 2011:

I believe the two James above are the same person.

Based on James death certificate he was born 6 Oct 1831 in County Kerry, Ireland. His parents were Dennis McAllister and Margaret Murphy. I don't have any information on Dennis.

Margaret Murphy was born abt 1800 in Ireland. She died 26 Oct 1888 in Burt Co., Nebraska. Her second spouse was William Powers.

William Powers was born abt 1800 in Ireland. He died 20 Jan 1887 in Burt Co., Nebraska.

Based on stories, Margaret and William supposely lived in Winconsin at the same time as James. I have not been able to confirm that yet.

I did find a possible boat record for James and his mother along with another child.

Ship: Boreas
Passenger embarkment: New Ross
Date: 9 May 1849
Passengers: Power Margaret (born: 1800/1), Power James (born: 1831/2), Power Micheal (born: 1835/6)
*note: I believe William may have came earlier to the USA and Margaret was joining him with the two boys. I have no other information on Micheal. I don't know if he is Powers' kid or McAllister's.

James' first spouse was Jane Lowry (or similar spelling). Their daughter Mary Ann had died after 1885 in Wisconsin. She had married Hiram Baker 16 Mar 1881 in Oregon, Dane, Wisconsin. They only had 1 child. Eva Jane Baker was born Jul 1882 in Dane Co., Wisconsin.

Re: McAllister from Wisconsin

Posted: 14 Apr 2004 11:30PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell/McAllister/Newton
Did your James McAllister have any brother? I have a John MCAllister's widow in Waupaca, Wisconsin. Her name was Margaret Campbell McAllister. They had several children; one a daughter named Rachel, who mrried a Frank Chady.

Margaret Campbell apparently slso went by Mary Ann.

Posted: 22 Apr 2004 5:26PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2005 9:30PM GMT
I'm not sure if James had a brother in Waupaca, WI. My mother-in-law doesn't know much about her grandfather or whether he had any siblings living in the U.S. I'm still trying to find more information on when James and his wife came to america. I'm hoping that it would give me a clue to whether there was other family members who had also came at that time.

Posted: 25 Nov 2004 3:31AM GMT
I have the obituary of James McAllister, died 1916 in Decatur, Nebraska--if you are interested.

Sheryl Davis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2004 4:28PM GMT
Jane,

That would be great. How do you fit into the McAllisters? My husband's (Jim Davis) mom is Teola McAllister the daughter to Frank McAllister and Bessie Wildman and the granddaughter to James McAllister and Ida Van Brunt. My mother-in-law didn't have much information on her grandparents. All she knew was that James was born in Ireland, served in the Civil War (which I found he was listed in Wisconsin), died in1916 (decatur, NE) and is buried in the Lyons Cemetry in Lyons, Nebraska. I would love to have that obituary if you could send me a copy through the email. I don't think that my mother-in-law ever had a copy of it as he did die before she was born. Thanks, Sheryl

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 8:37PM GMT
Surnames: Mc Allister, McAllister, Chady, Barrington, Knight, Baldauf, Nottingham
Hello - I just saw your post (over 7 years later.)

Did you ever find more information about your John McAllister, who lived in Waupaca County, Wis.? I'm a descendant of that McAllister clan who came from Ireland (County Antrim - Belfast, I'm led to believe) to Salem, Washington Co., New York and then on to Waupaca County (and beyond.)

Your John McAllister, b. abt 1835, County Antrim, was an older brother to a maternal g-g grandmother of mine: Jane McAllister who married Samuel D. Pinkerton. I believed John paid the ship's passage for Jane to emigrate.

I remember some favorite 1st cousins of my maternal grandmother, Elizabeth Barrington Knight (Waupaca), who were daughters of Frank Chady and his 2nd wife, Mary Ann (Minnie) McAllister (the sister of Frank's 1st wife, Rachel E. McAllister): Hazel Chady Baldauf and Margaret Chady Nottingham.

I hope to hear from you.

A McAllister cousin -
Jean E. DeLauche

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 2:58AM GMT
Surnames: Chady Nottingham
I am Margaret Chady Nottingham's granddaughter. I have a ton of old photos of Waupaca and white bearded farmer ancestors. Unfortunately, my father, Allen Nottingham, did not identify everyone before he died.
I'd love to know more about that side of my family!

Family Photos - Re: McAllister from Wisconsin

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:36PM GMT
Surnames: Chady, McAllister
Hello, Cousin -

I may or may not be able to identify some of your family photos. If you can scan and save them as JPEG images or PDFs (Adobe Reader), you can send them to me attached to an email, so I can look at them and try to identify the people.

Feel free to email me personally, if you wish:
JeanE.DeLauche(at symbol)yahoo.com.

I still think of Margaret, Nina, and Hazel Chady as "the Chady girls," the term my maternal grandmother and great aunts called them. I loved visiting them in the summers at their Waupaca cottage, "SuitsUs."

Hoping to hear from you via email.

Jean E. DeLauche
Missouri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic