Search for content in message boards

Offspring of Chief Joseph

Offspring of Chief Joseph

Xelator (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 11:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, just a simple query really. I'm curious to know as to whether or not Chief Joseph of the Nezperce (Nimi'ipuu) tribe had children, and if so, who were they and what happened to them.

Re: Offspring of Chief Joseph

Posted: 8 Jan 2005 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2005 3:59AM GMT
I can tell you Chief Joseph did have childern, I do not remeber off hand if the survived the Nez Perce war or not.
I forget just what book the info is in, I do have a number of books on him as supposedly he is my Great Great Uncle.
Glen A. Jones Portland Oregon

K.Johnston (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2005 4:18AM GMT
Not sure you are interested, but my grandmother who homesteaded in that area said the Son Joseph would come to her home and visit her. Mostly for white bread and coffee I think. He would just walk throught the door and sit at the table. I always thought that was a interesting story.
And I have seen the cave where the son joseph was born. Not very many miles from where I live.
Karen in Id.

Glen A. Jones (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2005 5:39PM GMT
Surnames: Craig, Robie, Cross, Wellington, Phinney, Etc.
Thank You Karen
I have read that someplace, about him coming in for food.
What part of Idaho do you live in?, I was just in Lewiston, went to Jacques or Craig Spur cemetery and cut down all of the tall grass and weeds, my Great great grandfather and other relative are buried their.
Glen Portland, Or.

K.Johnston (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2005 10:15PM GMT
Hi
I live about 45 miles from Lewiston in a little place called Deary.
Ever since my grmothr told me that story I have been reading all I can get my hands on about the Nes Perce Indians. Lived in Nes Perce, Kamiah when I was a kid. Was scared to death of the Indians. That is probably why she told me the story.Beautiful people! I go to the pow wow's when I can. Like all of the drums, dances, costumes, etc. My daughters best friend growing up was a Nes Perce Indian. Shy and very sweet.
Thanks for answering back
Karen in Id.

Xelator (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2005 6:43AM GMT
How unusual. I just found out about a year ago that my great grandmother from my mothers side was native american. My mum was doing extensive research into the topic and she has come to believe that my great grandmother was of the nez perce tribe, possibly even decended from Chief Joseph himself.

I would like to find more substantial evidence though, so have been trying to find any kind of information detailing his family line to see if it connects with my own. Going back from my own family doesn't seem to work as a lot of documents have been lost and destroyed.

- Qld, Australia.

Posted: 8 May 2005 8:34PM GMT
As a Child I was always told that Chief Joseph was my Great Great Uncle, I have no way of proving it, but I do trace back to Chief James of the Lapwai Band of Nez Perce and supposedly he was a cousin of Joseph or one of his wives was a sister of Joseph, but do not know for sure.

Willain Craig my Great Great Grandfather was married to Pah-Tis-Sah called Isabel she was the daughter of Chief James I have also found out that Joseph Meek and Robert Newell were married to sisters of Isabel.
Glen Jones Portland, Oregon

William Stephens (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2005 9:22PM GMT
You might contact Jessie Redhart of Lapwai or Spaulding, as I think he is a ancestor of Chief Joesph. Also Horace Axtell might know some information about Chief Joesph.

Posted: 28 Oct 2005 10:58PM GMT
Thank You William for the info, I will try to find them the next time I get up that way.
As a child I was always told Chief Joseph was my Great Great Uncle, we have traced family back to Chief James, my Great Great Grandfather was married to Pah Tis Sah Daughter of Chief James.

Ginny Rountree (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2006 4:02PM GMT
I found this thread very interesting. I have always been very curious about Chief Joseph.

My mother in law is from the area of Cottonwood and Keuterville. She told us stories of Chief Joseph shooting her great grandfather who would have been either a Bensching or Sprute.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions