Search for content in message boards

William Heddy

William Heddy

Leland Hares (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking info on William Heddy. Mr. Heddy enlisted in the union army in Memphis in late 1863 and gave his place of residence as Tippah county and his profession as farmer. Mr. Heddy was apparently resident in Memphis after the war and was buried in the Memphis National Cemetary in 1913. would like to hear from anyone related to or having knowledge of him or his family. Especially seeking any documents from his wartime service. Thanks

Re: William Heddy

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 4:28AM GMT
I know it's been a long time since this was posted, but I was wondering if there was any information found on William Heddy. He is my great-great-great grandfather, and I'm having trouble tracing him.

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 2:39PM GMT
It has been a long time- Mr. Heddy died here in Memphis in 1903 I believe(don't have my notes to hand). He is buried in the Memphis National Cemetery.I'll post the info I have later when I can dig up my notes. My interest in him is related to his service in the Civil War, where he served in a Federal Infantry unit recruited in Memphis.

Leland Hares

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: Heddy
There was a William Heddy (Hedden) living in Tippah County, MS in 1850 when he was 12 years old. That would make him 22 at the time the war started. He lived in Tippah County range 4E, township 2S, section 32. For further information contact D. W. Jones at djones9976@aol.com.

Posted: 30 Mar 2010 6:38PM GMT
excellent- The William Heddy I'm interested in listed Tippah county as his place of origin on his enlistment papers-Any other info on him or his family would be appreciated-

L. Hares

Posted: 7 Apr 2010 7:12AM GMT
Hi, sorry I haven't responded earlier. I have been tracking down leads of a possible name change. I don't have any conclusive evidence yet, but I'll post anything I discover.

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 12:16PM GMT
I just read a story about the James Rimer family from Tippah county, they moved to Illinois during the war. They had a daughter Nancy C. who married a William Hedden on July 30, 1860 in Tippah. If you are interested in the narrative I will ask permission to post it.

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 1:10PM GMT
I found William Heddy's death notice in the vital records-it listed cause of death as old age, date of death 12/11/1903, age 83, resided at 2018 McLemore in Memphis and had been a resident of the city for 8 years. He was married, His birthplace was listed as Pennsylvania and his mothers maiden name as Ayers.
The lat. and long for his Tippah County location mentioned above is 34'52'01 N and 88'54'16 W. in southern Tippah county
On the goggle earth satelite photos there appears to be only a few residences left in that section. Next time I'm at the library I'll see if I can find an Obituary for him.

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 5:09PM GMT
The story would be very interesting to look at. If you can get permission, I would love to read it!

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 5:17PM GMT
Mr. Hedden's mother's name is very interesting, as there still are a number of Ayers living in West Tennessee. Would you mind me asking where you found his death notice? I ran across a notice listing his death as old age and the other vital information except regarding his mother's maiden name. That would be an interesting piece to add to the records I've been amassing.

Also, if the Hedden Judo mentions in the previous post is the same, I have recently uncovered information on his second wife Rebecca Hatchel, my great-great-grandmother. They married in 1876.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic