Search for content in message boards

Looking for information on probably ship sinking in Indonesia 1875

Looking for information on probably ship sinking in Indonesia 1875

Posted: 11 Nov 2011 5:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
A relative allegedly died at sea at Sulawesi Tengah, Indonesia on 19 May 1875. His name was William Robert Samuel Jones, aged 44.

I don't know if he was in the Royal Navy, merchant mariner or what. I have had no luck in finding any information about shipwrecks/sinkings in Indonesia at that time.

Can anyone provide any hints, tips or suggestions on how I might find out more information (websites, books, etc. etc.)

Thanks

Re: Looking for information on probably ship sinking in Indonesia 1875

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 6:26PM GMT
Did you ever have any luck with your queries? I have an ancestor who died off Sulawesi Tengah, presumably on a US ship, about 1810. I don't know that it was a wreck--he could have been ill and died in that area. It is hard to even see if there was an administrative center or port there in those days.

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 6:58PM GMT
No I have not had any responses at all. I have not been able to find anything at all, searching in a variety of places.

My ancestor seems to be much like yours.. not sure it was a shipwreck either, suspect he was in the Royal Navy, but not sure of that either. And with a last name of Jones, it is not easy narrowing it down.

Thanks for your reply. If you come across any decent sites, or links, etc. please let me know and I will do the same...Good luck

Dave

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 7:18PM GMT

I know what you mean. My ancestor is named Edward Grant, which is also painfully common...I did find an Edward Grant in the British Navy at that time who died in the area, but I am fairly sure my ancestor was on a US ship in the merchant trade between Kennebunk or Boston and either China or Indonesia.

Posted: 24 Apr 2014 1:05PM GMT
I have folks dying in 1848 and possibly other years there - it would have been merchant ships out of Maine. A google search turns up more folks looking at this in different years and different families. I found an ancestry post about this:

Sulawesi Tengah, Indonesia is the location reported for the Nantucket ship "Diamond" which sank in the early 1800's--it apparently seems to have been the very first listing for anyone ever entered as "Lost at Sea" on Ancestry.com's database...

So incorrect for most folks, it looks like.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic