Search for content in message boards

mental insitituions in first half of 1900's

mental insitituions in first half of 1900's

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just came across a situation in which my GG-Grandfather is listed on his 1941 death certificate as being in an institution- "county Home". I believe he may have been in this home for at least 20 yrs. His wife is shown alone on the 1920 and 1930census living with her kids as a widow. My questions are: What were the institutions in Onslow at this time, would it be common for a wife who "puts her husband away" claim widow, and where would i find census reports for these homes?

Re: mental insitituions in first half of 1900's

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 3:40AM GMT
Hello,

Contact Kim Crouley at the Jacksonville, North Carolina Main Branch Library (Genealogy and research department). She maintains a great deal of local information. You can google the library and get her telephone number.

Also, you could try the New Hanover County library (Local History department). Google that too. Ask for Beverly Tetterton, I think she still works there.

Another avenue that you may look into is searching for "quarriteen (spelling) homes" This is were sick people were secluded, sometimes for years. There were numerous of these homes throughout Onslow County.

Jack

http://www.lulu.com/jackrobinson

Best wishes,

Re: mental insitituions in first half of 1900's

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 12:58PM GMT
Wonderful! Thank you, Jack!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic