Search for content in message boards

Emigrant from Nijkerk Region

Emigrant from Nijkerk Region

Posted: 5 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Apr 2002 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: ter HEUN, TERHUNE
My earliest documented ancestor was an Albert Albertsen who in 1638 came to Rensselaerwyck in New Netherlands from the area of the municipality of Putten, near Nijkerk in the Netherlands province of Gelderland. He was about
18 years old when he emigrated and had been trained as a "lientwever" (ribbon weaver). Around 1650 he adopted the surname "ter Heun" (later spelled Terhune), supposedly deriving this name from some hamlet or geographical
feature by the name of Huinen near Putten. The forgoing is more or less documented.

Undocumented family legend, on the otherhand, says that Albert's family were ribbon weavers in Putten and that two generations earlier the family had been Huguenot weavers in France.

My only chance is to make contact with someone who might know of evidence of a concentration of Huguenots and weavers in or near Putten, near Nijkerk, in Gelderland, Netherlands in the late 1500s and early 1600s.

Hoping to get lucky,

Charles Terhune Duncan
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Posted: 7 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Huender, Heuner, huener, hoener, hoenders
Hi Charles,

My family derives from Gelderland, I am interested in your theory about the locality of Heun, or Huinen, since my early ancestors played with a similar name. However as far as I know my family derived their last name from a common bird in the area, now more or less on an endangeared species list in certain areas. The bird is a "HOEN" or Grouse, our family has in specific the Black grouse in their family shield called a CORHOEN. So heun can also originally come from this bird . My ancestors played with Hoenders, Huener, Heuner, before settling on Huenderhowever the first name was far from that...Kijstesnijesseler. Which roughly translates into boxcutter, or carpenter or even more gruesome, coffinmaker. They all lived in the Doetichem area, but later settled in the terborg and Silvolde area just south East of Doetichem.
I like to hear more about your Huinen theory.

Sincerely
peter Huender
las vegas

Ter Heun

Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Huender, heuner, huener, hoenders, kijstesnijesseler
Hi Charles,
Indeed I had overlooked the "ter" and focussed to much on the Heun, which afetr all is differnt from the letters in my name It makes sense that Ter is equal to from, and Heun could derive from the towns you spoke about. Do you have any information as to that they were born there.
My name indeed comes from the bird as I mentioned in the post. there is even a Hoenderweg in the small town of terborg, where my family lived. All off the area we talk about about is just a few miles distance from one another as well, since holland is soooooo small.

Peter
I am planning to visit the area next february, never been there.

Surname Heun

Posted: 9 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2002 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: ter HEUN, TERHUNE
Hi Peter,
You've developed some interesting theories about the origins of your surname. I'm not a Dutch speaker, but my understanding is that the prefix "ter" usually means "from" or "on." Thus, my theory is "ter Heun" probably refers to a place. I got the following information from a Dutchman I "met" on the Netherlands Query Forum:

"I don't know anything about the name Heun for a special type of house in the Netherlands. What I do know now, after a look on a map of the Nijkerk region is that there are just a few miles east of Nijkerk in the municipalty of
Putten (just south of it) several hamlets with names as Huinen, Huinerwal, Huinerbroek and a toponyme Huinerveld. I guess that's what you are looking for."

Maybe the above info is also useful for you.

Regards,
Charles Terhune Duncan
Indianapolis, Indiana

per page

Find a board about a specific topic