Search for content in message boards

Chappells in Missouri, 1800s

Chappells in Missouri, 1800s

Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:45AM GMT
Surnames: CHAPPELL, HANKINS, AVERETT, KNOX, SHOEMAKER
I am looking for more information on this family of Chappells: Redding G. Chappell (b. 1829, TN) married Angelina Hankins (b. 1841, OH). His parents were Redding Chappell (Sr.) and Nancy Averett. Her parents were Rolen Hankins and Mary Ann Knox. Redding and Angelina had these children: Redding G., Lois, Winslow/Winston, John Dudley, William, Ora, Ona, Amanda and Conley. It is Ona that I am particularly interested in knowing more about. She married my great-great-grandfather, Edward M. Shoemaker, around 1900, I believe. If you can help me, I'll love you forever!

Chappells in MO

Posted: 9 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2001 11:38AM GMT
Surnames: CHAPPELL, THOMPSON, KNOX, HANKINS
My children's ancestor Elisha Chappell and his wife Sally Talbot moved to Saline County, Missouri from Surry Co., N. C. ca 1833. Their children were: Ambrose T., Meucinda, Daniel H., Rachael, Elisha W. (direct line), Henry Lewis, Chapman, Loranzo D., Thomas W., Sarah Ann, Joshua and Elizabeth Caroline. The children scattered over Dekalb, Saline, Clinton Co., Missouri. After the Civil War, our branch moved to Cross County, Arkansas, Except for William Robert Chappell who married Mary Fee and stayed in Marion County, AR. In my research I did note Redding G. Chappell who m. Nancy b.13 Dec 1833 and died 11 Nov 1857, bur in Lebanon Cemetery, Clinton Co., MO. Then he married 10 Jun 1858, Clinton Co., MO, Angeline Hankins, daughter of Rolen and Mary Ann (Knox) Hankins.[Nanon Lucile Carr, comp. Marriage Records of Clinton County, Missouri, 1833-1870, 1955.] Children: Conley S., W.T., E. Jane, Maysie [poss.Amanda], William C., Ora, and others. Never was able to connect this Chappell family with mine. Lebanon Cemetery in Clinton Co., MO gives birth and death dates of the some of their children and the others can be found in Stewartsville, Dekalb Co., MO. Hope this helps.

Re: Chappells in MO

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2003 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Montgomery, Howard, Vanwinkle, Kirk, Cain
Looking for Lula May Johnson married John William Montgomery 1897 in Marshall, Saline Co, MO; parents were Alverian Chappell Johnson b: 18 Nov 1838 NC d: 18 Mar 1901 Norton, MO m: Mary Mirinda Howard b: 8 Nov 1839 d:12 Jul 1919; lived in Slater, Saline Co, MO
Lula's siblings: Thomas Floyd, Rily, Martha Elen, Jennie, Sallie Ann, b/g twins died at birth

Melanie Held (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2001 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Chappell, Johnson
Hi, Tommy! So far, I haven't come across any "Johnson" surnames in connection with my Chappell line...but if I do, I will try to contact you. Good luck!

Posted: 27 Aug 2001 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: CHAPPELL - FEE - THOMPSON - MYERS
Thanks for replying Tommy. My Chappell family left Missouri for Arkansas by the 1860 census and were located in St. Francis County, then was in 1870 census for Cross County, AR. My children's direct ancestor, William Robert Chappell who married Mary Elizabeth Fee, located in Marion County, Arkansas by the 1880 census.

Did not recognize the names that you listed. Sorry.

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2001 4:55AM GMT
Surnames: chappell
Looking for info on Chapplels from Mo. I have traced my g/grandparents and my grandmother back to Mo, g/grandfather William Mansfield Chappell born around 1860. married Henreitta Hall around 1885, they had on daughter in Mo. Safronal born in Mo and the they moved to Ark around 1890. In your research have you found any connections to these names. Any info you have would be very helpful. Thanks

Posted: 30 Sep 2001 7:02AM GMT
Hi, Rita! The only William Chappell that I have run across that could possibly be the one you seek, was found in the 1870 Census of Clinton County, Missouri. A "Will Chapel", age 20, born in North Carolina, was working on the farm of
E.E. Lindsey. I don't know if this is the right ball park for you, but the only other William Chappell I've seen is the one in my line, and unfortunately, he died as a toddler. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Happy hunting!

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2001 1:53PM GMT
Surnames: Chappell, Hall
I am seeking info on John Mansfield Chappell. Born around 1860 to 1870. Married to Henrietta Hall. Lived in Mo until aprox 1890. Had on child born in Mo her name was Safrona Chappel. Safrona was my grandmother. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Betty

Posted: 3 Oct 2001 3:35AM GMT
Hi, Betty! In looking at a list of family members, I did find some individuals with the last name of Hall: Eva May, Earl J., Laura, Clifford, Mary Sue, John Samuels, and Robert Lee Hall. Their father was Jesse F. Hall. Their mother was Allene Marguerite Groom. She was the daughter of Lucy Chappell and her husband, Michael Farmer Groom. Lucy was the daughter of Redding G. Chappell (who was my great-great-grandfather). So...if you can tie in Henrietta to these Halls, we would be distant cousins.

betty (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: chappell
So far I have not been able to find a connection to my Chappell's or Hall's in Mo. I don't know their birthplaces, just wondering what part of the state that you ancestor's were from? I really don't know where to begin a search in Mo.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions