Search for content in message boards

Vann family in TN.

Vann family in TN.

Denis Vann (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2001 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Vann
I am looking for info on my family history in TN, I know that a part of my family was at one time in the Harriman/Clinton./Oliver Springs area. I would love to find out more on them. My grandfather was William (died 1974) and my grandmother was Lena Vann. They moved to IN at sometime and are buried there. They had 2 sons, Roy and Marty. If you could give me any info on my heritage, I would be greatful.

Re: Vann family in TN.

Posted: 19 Aug 2001 5:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jun 2004 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Vann, Curtain, Russell
Denis, my info doesn't quite match up with yours but I suspect we may be looking at the same folks. I have a William Russell Scarbrough "Bill" Vann married to a Nena Curtain with two sons, Martell and Roy. Bill's father was James "Jim" Vann, b. June 1877 in the Oliver Springs, TN area and d. 1948. He was married to Alice Russell. If you think this is the William Vann family you are looking for let me know and I will be glad to send you more information.

Re: Vann family in TN.

Denis Vann (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2001 3:09AM GMT
This may very well be the same family. I was not sure of Marty's first name, but Roy was my father. They have now both past away and I am trying to find more out about my family history. I know that they also had a sister by the name of Francis and when she passed she resided in Herriman.. Please if this is the same family let me know.

Roy Vann family in TN.

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Vann, Coker, Owens
Unfortunately I don't show a sister named Francis for Roy and Martell Vann but my records indicate Roy wife's name was Opal Coker and Martell was married to Betty Owens and they had a son named Scotty. Is Opal Coker Vann your mother?

Re: Roy Vann family in TN.

Denis Vann (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2001 1:40PM GMT
Yes, Opal Coker Vann is my mother. Roy, being my father, we are 5 in total in children and we were taken in the town of Yorktown, IN. I was the age of 1 and a half. We were all adopted and at the age of 18 I found out my true identity and now I am looking for my roots for the Vann side of the family. If you can tell me more of the family I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Denis

Roy Vann of TN ancestors

Posted: 12 Sep 2001 1:10AM GMT
Surnames: Vann, McKamey, Russell, Scarbrough, Curtain, Cheeks, Hill, Weaver, Yarber, Owens, Coker
The following information is from the book "Dennis Vann and Many of His Descendants" compiled by Harry Mack Vann, Jr. From page 199, "James "Jim" Vann 1877; 1948, son of Edmond Vann 1837 and Nancy E. McKamey 1842 married secondly Alice Russell. Alice had been married to a man named Scarbrough. They had a son by the name of William "Bill" Scarbrough whom James "Jim" Vann adopted and Bill was known as Bill Vann."
Then from page 202, "Bill Russell Scarbrough Vann, son of Alice Russell and adopted son of James "Jim" Vann, ... md. Nena Curtain. Nena already had a daughter by her first husband, John Walter Cheeks. Nena's daughter is Francis. Francis md 1st Clint Hill. She md. 2nd William W. Weaver. Francis's daughter Margaret Hill md. Ronnie Yarber. They live off Coal Hill Road in Morgan County, TN. Nena and Bill had two sons. Martell Vann md. Betty Owens and they have one son, Scotty Vann. Roy Vann md. Opal Coker and they have five children."
Hope this helps answer some of your questions. I will send you a separate email which shows your Vann ancestor tree.

Re: Roy Vann of TN ancestors

Denis Vann (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2001 6:51PM GMT
Yes, there were 5 children born to Roy and Opal. They were as follows: Darlene, Junior, Mary, Denis and Sharon. There was also a 6th child born after the break up of them. His name is also Scotty Vann. Roy then went on to have 5 more children with Shirley Stanley. They are: Lena, Shirley, Sheila, Milly, and Ted. He then had another child with a woman by the name of Louise. That child died nine hours after being born. I am not sure of what the had named him. He was born in Kentucky. I thought that I would send you this information so you can add it to the family tree. Thanks, Denis

Posted: 6 Oct 2001 4:32AM GMT
Edited: 29 May 2002 6:27AM GMT
Hi! My name is Trish and I am researching my Vann family history. I have a William Vann born 1784 in N. C. who moved to TN in the 1820's where he raised his family in the Overton/Pickett Co. area. He had the following children.
Dempsey, Jessee, William, Joseph, Thomas , Rebecca, and Abigail. As the crow flies Morgan and Overton Co arent that far away. Thanks

redirect to William Vann b. 1784 NC-TN

Posted: 6 Oct 2001 8:00PM GMT
Trish, I don't have any info on your Vanns but by doing a search for "Abigail" on this Vann message board I found an Aug. 14, 2000 posting by Denise Young titled "William Vann" which appears to be your Vann branch. There are also several replies to her posting which may be of value.

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 4:24PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2003 7:07PM GMT
Surnames: Armes, Arms, Brewer, Vann, Powell
Do you have Jasper Vann
+Elizabeth Powell married 9 Feb 1859 Roane Co., TN
=Mary Elizabeth b. 1874 Anderson Co., TN
+Standish Armes 7 May 1900 Clinton, Anderson Co., TN
=Amanda Armes b. 1902 Marlow, Anderson Co., TN
+W. L. Brewer b. 1898 married 1918 Morgan Co., Tn Lived in Petros,TN moved to Harriman, TN 1936.

in your book or files?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions