Search for content in message boards

Splitting a tree

Splitting a tree

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 9:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, is there any way of splitting a tree into two separate ones?
When I joined Ancestry I didn't realise that you could create more than one tree so I started out with a joint one for my husband & myself, but both branches have grown far more than I ever expected, & I'd really like to work on them separately.

Re: Splitting a tree

Posted: 31 Mar 2009 2:52PM GMT
Far better to leave them as one unless you like doing double entry.

Which tree will you put you children in, or you grandchildren?

What happens when you find one of his ancestors married one of your ancestors (and yes- sooner or later you *will* find such a case)?

Which trees get the pictures?

For these and many other reason most dedicated genealogists recommend having only one tree; you can, of course, work on any section at any time which makes it easy to maintain.

If you must have more than one you can't split them online. You must download a GEDCOM of your online tree, use your genealogy program to split off the part you want, create a GEDCOM of that part and unload that GEDCOM to begin s new tree.

Posted: 6 May 2009 10:26PM GMT
I'm wondering just the reverse. I started out with 1 tree. My Binder of paper pages got too big. I split the families into their own binders and created seperate trees on ancestry. Now the families are overlapping. I get hints on the female side that goes into the other family. I could just ignore the hints, but I'd be ignoring more hints than adding them. Anyone have 1 online tree and seperate paper binders?

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 11:18AM GMT
I too started with one tree and it got so big that I ended up having 8 large notebooks full. I ordered birth, death, marriage certificates for each person to put in the notebooks that they got so large I had to start a different notebook for each branch. It was easier when I lived in Denver since the Federal archives are located there and you can just go in and go through all the tapes for free. Of course that was in 1995 and probably put it all on disks now?? 5 or 6 cities have those archives and also any mormon church in any city has a genealogy section in the back of their church that you can use for free and not be a member or a mormon but I found it easier to go to the Federal archives but now everything I found is on line just about at ancestry.com. I have almost more than they provide me with. I started out with my mother and her father's side of the family with a whole book and then had to start another book with her mother's side of the family. Then I did the same with my father's father and mother etc. Another for my husband and his mother and father's side etc. so it started getting crazy especially when the irish catholics all had 14 kids and each of them got married to different names it can make your head spin after awhile and you just have to stop and take a break sometimes. Sorry to ramble.

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 4:06PM GMT
I have one tree and several thousand folders as each person gets their own folder. Everything about that person goes in that person's folder so if I want something it is all there.Everything within the folder is in chronological order.

If a document mentions seven people then copies are made and put in the respective folders of those seven people.

The folders are filed Surname, Given Name, Date of Birth, Mother's Maiden Name.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 5:41PM GMT
I understand the reasons to keep a tree as one, regardless of it's size, but my husband and I are divorcing and I really DO want to split the one tree into two. IS there a relatively easy way to select only his side and save separately?

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 9:14PM GMT
Yes, you can select the Advanced button, then select your husband's parents and then Select All Ancestral Related from the pull-down. You can the delete them all. If you want them to be in a separate tree, make a copy of the file and give it a new name first.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:23PM GMT
Excellent. I will try that, thank you!

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:28PM GMT
I'm sorry...where is the advanced button? I'm using FTM2012.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:57AM GMT
Oops! You need to be in the FTM board, not AFT.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions