Search for content in message boards

Francis Hernandez, wife of John Neely St. Bernard Islenos or Pensacola?

Francis Hernandez, wife of John Neely St. Bernard Islenos or Pensacola?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hernandez Neely Tanner Pons Daffron Journey Chastang LaFargue
Francis Hernandez (b. ABT 1823- d. AFT 1880) a free woman of color, was my great great great grandmother. She married John Neely some time before 1846. I do not know where, but I have found no record in Mobile, County.
She is only found on the 1850 and 1880 census in Mobile, Alabama. Although her husband and mulatto children are found on 1860 and 1870 as well, one year with a woman named Mintte (maybe Manette Journey and in 1870 it is difficult to read but it looks like Loora, I don't know) the 1880 census says that she was born in Alabama and her father was from Italy, but I don't think that is accurate. I might be wrong, but I do not associate the name Hernandez with Italian surnames.
John Neely was from Cincinnati reportedly of Scottish/Yorkshire ancestry. This Neely family in Mobile were all butchers and livestock dealers who mostly married into the LaFargue family as well as Chastang and Pons families.
Her son Jefferson Davis Neely, expanded the family livestock/ meat production business to Mehle street in Arabi sometime after 1900. Jefferson states that his mother was from Louisiana. His brother, George who went to Pensacola then to Washington state says that she is from Spain on one census and Jeff and George's sister, Lizzie have her as being from San Domingue on one census.
I lean mostly toward her being from Louisiana for several reasons 1) two of her children state the is where she is from on census data. 2) There is a huge population of Hernandez surnames in St. Bernard. 3) Jeff moved his business there , I believe very close to Hernandez Street. But. I also wonder about Pensacola because Lizzie Neely married a man named Henry Pons who is descended from some Hernandezes and because George took his business to Pensacola.
Any ideas on how to determine which way to go would be very appreciated.
Francis' children with John Neely were as follows:
Onelia
Catherine "Kate" ( married John Wesley Tanner)
Elizabeth Ann "Lizzie" ( Married Henry S. Pons)
Thomas C.
George
Jefferson Davis
Mollie ( married Joe Daffron and lived on Catina street in NOLA)
Robert Edward Lee

Re: Francis Hernandez, wife of John Neely St. Bernard Islenos or Pensacola?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:17PM GMT
Hmmm...

As for a marriage before 1846 in this area, you need to find someone with access to a library that has "Sacramental Records of the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of
New Orleans, Volumes 1 - 18 (1718 - 1829)".

If one can find an ancestor's name or variation of that name then you'd be able to contact the Archdiocese of New Orleans for a sacramental record. Which may or may not include parental information.

If in fact Francis is from the St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana area, she would have most probably been married in St. Bernard Catholic Church.

http://stbernardcatholicchurch.com//index.php?option=com_con...

http://www.archdiocese-no.org/archives/genealogy.php

Re: Francis Hernandez, wife of John Neely St. Bernard Islenos or Pensacola?

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 5:22PM GMT
Thank you so much! That was more than I ever knew before!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic