Search for content in message boards

Boatwright/Boatright of South Carolina

Boatwright/Boatright of South Carolina

Posted: 8 Oct 2011 4:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Boatwright/Boatright
Hello,

I am looking for information on Boatwright/Boatright in SC. The documents I have list my past relatives as living in various parts of Clarendon County, SC and being either colored or mulatto. Therefore, I don't know if I am looking for African-American, Caucasian, or Native American ancestors.

My grandfather was Edmond Boatwright (1924-2004) who married Mary Anna Green or Keys (DOB/DOD unknown).

Edmond's father was Selvyn (also listed as Sylvian & Slyven) Boatwright (1877-1946) who married Carlotta/Lottie Carter or McKnight (1887-1933). Selvyn later married Mary Lou James.

Selvyn's father was Richard Boatwright (1852-1919) who married Gertrude Anderson (1855-1919). On Richard’s death certificate, it states that his father was either Powell or Powill Boatwright of SC and mother unknown of SC.

I am trying to locate any information on Powell/Powill Boatwright and his spouse. Any information beyond him would be great as well. Also, any information on Edmond Boatwright’s spouse Mary Anna Green or Keys as well.

Thanks!

Re: Boatwright/Boatright of South Carolina

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 1:13AM GMT
Checked my Boatwrights no connection. Ancestry.com shows 1870 census for Powell Boatwright (1837SC) mulatto in Columbia SC. Shows also Cornelia 1848SC, Edward 1861SC, and Annie 1811 VA. Annie may be Powells mother and Edward may be his son. Sorry I have no information to help you.

Gary

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 7:56PM GMT
My GGgrandmother Mary Boatwright(born 1825) was from S.C.. On July 3, 1880 she lived at Canoe, Escambia Co. Al. She & her 4 children were listed as "mu". She was Indian. Her children names were Chess, Benjamin, Georgiana, Mervia. Her oldest daughter's name was Mary. Mary (born 1860 in S.C.) married 6-24-1880 to John Marion Woods. They are my Ggrandparents.
I can not find a census paper with Mary Boatwright (born around 1825) with her husband name on it. I was told it was Benjamin Isaac Boatwright. I was told Alton was her maiden name. I have found Hester as a last name but no Alton.???
I do not know any thing about the Powell but wanted to let you know that in my case "mu" was Indian.
If you know any thing of this family please let me know. Thank You

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 2:54AM GMT
In 1860 isaac Boatwright was living in Jackson Florida. he was born 1824 in SC. He was living with Hester 1824SC, Susanne 1854SC, Chesley 1856SC and Benjamin 1859FL. I see that the 1880 census in 1880 that you reference in Escambia AL has Mary (Mary Hester Alton???) The dates of birth are off but the birthplace for Chess and Benjamin are right on. This would mean that the oldest daughter Susanna was born around 1854.

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 10:55AM GMT
Thanks for the help!

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 10:58AM GMT
I'm sorry. I don't know anything of the Boatwrights you are looking for. But, I do think you are right about the mulatto being Indian. My father thinks that his grandfather was Lumbee, but I couldn't find the surname Boatwright among Lumbee surnames. Maybe Choctaw.... I'm not for sure though.

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 7:46PM GMT
Thank you --Wonder why her name is Hester in 1860 & Mary in 1880?? I have a picture of Mary, Georgiana & Benjamin. My mother is 84 & she remembers them. I believe it is the same family. It is very hard to get "paper" proof to prove you are of Indian descendant.

Posted: 11 Oct 2011 1:27AM GMT
This is a weak foundation but I have found that history shows that many men marry women with the same name as their mother or sister. I have also found in my family research the same situation. My gggggrandmother is in the census as Eliza and her tombstone also has Eliza for her name. However in the history of the local hospital her grandson Edward Shanklin Stuart states that his maternal grandmother Mary Shanklin was the midwife for Jefferson Davis. There was no census for a Mary Shanklin other that his uncle Fielding's wife. Fortunately the record clearly states that it was his MATERNAL Grandmother. Eliza was the grandmother of Edward Stuart and he was named after her husband Edward Shanklin. Therefore my gggggrandmother must have been Mary Elizabeth Huston. it appears her mother was named Mary but no records. Eliza's brotherRobert named his daughter Eliza Huston after his sister. Then she married Elizas son Robert(my ggggrandfather). I would go with both names being one person until I found a second wife for isaac named Mary.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 9:52PM GMT
Hello,
My name is Tiffany Boatwright-Ogbuewu, Iam the granddaughter of the late Edmond Boatwright. My father Eddie Boatwright could possibly give you some insight to our family history. You can email me at togbuewu1@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic