Search for content in message boards

McCann's from CO Derry, N. Ireland

McCann's from CO Derry, N. Ireland

Maryellen (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2000 11:50AM GMT
I am looking for three family members who immigrated to the United States (@ 1920) from County Derry, Northern Ireland.

Neal Patrick McCann b 1898
Hugh Alfonsis b 1900
Margaret Gertrude b 1901

Family stories state Neal lived in Canada while Hugh and Margaret lived in or near
New York City (not together).

e-mail: mmhamel@pdq.net

McCann Family from County Mayo

Mary Ellen McCann (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2001 1:14PM GMT
Have you ever heard anything about McCann Family from County Mayo Ireland during your searching?

Re: McCann Family from County Mayo

Posted: 15 Dec 2001 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jan 2003 4:07AM GMT
My grandmother was Bridget McCann, b. 1904 in Derryronane, near Swinford, cty Mayo. Father was John McCann, mother Anne Cassidy.

Donal McCann (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2001 8:02PM GMT

Tom,
My dad (Dan) is from Derryronane, Swinford, Co Mayo. He is one of nine children born to Michael and Mary McCann. I can put you in touch with a with my dad's cousin Bernard Salmon (Pittsburg) who has researched the McCann family.

Posted: 19 Dec 2001 6:23AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2003 4:07AM GMT
Dear Donal,

Thank you for the reply. If you can, please pass my name and e-mail (tkmcfadden@home.com) along.

Somewhere, I have a note written down "Salmon in Pittsburgh" that I made while talking to a distant cousin, but I can't remember what it means. Perhaps it refers to your father's cousin.

My grandmother, Bridget McCann, was the youngest of her family. She married Tom McPadden of Drumkeeran, cty Leitrim. She had a brother John and a brother Michael, sisters Honora, Mary (married name Whelan), Ellen (married Michael Nestor, family still runs a hairdresser's shop in Swinford), Annie (Linton), and Kate (Brady).

Her parents were John McCann and Ann Cassidy, who married in 1887. John's parents were John and Mary McManus, I think. John had a brother William.

Please le me know if you need a mailing address.

Thanks,
Tom McFadden

Posted: 1 May 2002 4:01PM GMT
My grandfather, Thomas McCann, was also from Derryronane, born November 1921. His parents were Michael and Mary (Durkan). Also believe there is a brother John in USA. I think we are related! Please, would you send email address.

Donal McCann (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2002 8:27PM GMT
Hello Tom,

I was unable to send a reply to the email address given. I received a failure to send error.
Apologies for not getting back earlier. I have done a bit of research on the McCann families.I know the Nestor and McDonagh families who also lived in the townland of Derryronane. As you stated the Nestor family are still involved in the Hairdressing business in Swinford. The McDonagh side of the family moved from Derryronane in 1954 to Bellew, Rathfeigh, Tara, Co. Meath. The only surviving member of the McDonagh family still lives there. Her married name is Catherine(Ciss) Gallagher. She is in her 80's and in quite good health. She has 2 sons, Patrick and James Gallagher. Both live quite close to their home.

Also, I have received the following from Bernard Salmon:

Looking at church records we have john mccann (brother of william) mar honora mcmanus 1848 they had micheal 1859 mar mary salmon (dau of john salmon bro of mary wife of william dau of owen salmon and anne mcmanus). john born1858 mar anne cassidy their dau bridget mar mcpadden. so as you see we are connected thru mccanns and the mcmanus tribes both from the north.

If I can help further or can put you in touch with Bernard Salmon, please do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

Donal McCann

Tom McFadden (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2002 2:08AM GMT
Donal,

Very sorry, my e-mail changed over the winter.

Thanks for getting back to me. My e-mail is now tkm456@comcast.net.

If I understand correctly, your grandfather was Michael McCann, whose brother John was my great-grandfather?

Please reply to above e-mail address.

-Tom

Posted: 15 Mar 2009 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: McCann of Derryronan, Co. Mayo (+Salmon and McManus)
I know this thread is years old now, but maybe someone will pick up on it. I am descended from John McCann of Derryronan (b. 1883) son of Michael McCann of Derryronan (b. 1859) son of John McCann and Honor McManus.

I am trying to find out more about the McCann's and also what appears to be a complex inter marriage network with the Salmon and McManus families.

I have seen the name of Bernard Salmon mentioned on a few forum pages and would like to make contact with him as he seems to know a lot of information. If anyone out there has information on these families of Derryronan I would love to hear from you and find out what information you have and also to share what I have learnt.

Posted: 25 Feb 2012 10:04PM GMT
My Father was John McDonagh and Was one of 7 children from Derryronan, his mother was Nora McCann would love to know more
per page

Find a board about a specific topic