Search for content in message boards

Ancestry dna needs to provide raw data

Ancestry dna needs to provide raw data

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 1:46AM GMT
Ancestry DNA needs to provide raw data so results can be compared to other data bases. After getting my results which were outside of what I expected I purchased a test for my brother. His results seemed more in line with expectations. My brother and I had very dissimilar results with only 21% overlap of Scandinavian for me and 52% for him. Just received results from one of my children and it showed 0% Scandinavian, British Isles 86% Eastern European 14%. The only overlap with our DNA was British me 45% and my wife 49%. If raw data were available a better comparison could be made. Also raw data would allow input into other DNA studies. Based on what I have seen I would not recommend this test to anyone.

Re: Ancestry dna needs to provide raw data

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 11:42PM GMT
There can be large difference among siblings in DNA results. Have you and your brother tested elsewhere?

My understanding is that ancestry will be providing raw data, in some form at least, after the new year.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 4:03AM GMT
Is the raw data going to be provided to everyone after the first of the year? The dissimilarity was huge. I am shown as almost 50% British with none showing for my brother. My results show European Jewish with none for my brother. His shows 11% Southern European and 7% Persian/Turkish/ Caucasus and 8% uncertain with none for me.

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 10:06PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2012 10:07PM GMT
I agree 100%. What's going on here? What they give you as a "result" is that same one-size-fits-all approach that you get in the mail that promises a complete rundown on your surname and a plaque that we know is USELESS.

I could take anyone's tree and based upon where they and their ancestors live could make pretty good guesses about ethnicity, etc. Save yourself a lot of spit, don't get hooked by this carnival show. I expected actual gene sequences with numbers. It's called science. That's what a DNA test is.

Assuming they actually performed a lab analysis, they must have the numbers now. Why not send them out? Do they think we are too stupid to work out an analysis? Send the actually results now, or I want my money back.

This approach is miserable. I can't figure out what kind of idiot thought this was a workable idea.

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2012 10:59PM GMT
Re: "What they give you as a "result" is that same one-size-fits-all approach that you get in the mail that promises a complete rundown on your surname and a plaque that we know is USELESS". Well said and I agree. The ethnicity labels mean nothing to me. The only part that makes sense is my 12% "uncertain". :)
It's the DNA matches, in conjunction with paper trails, that are worth way more to me than what I paid. It's a wonderful research tool now and will be even better when I get my raw data. Just my opinion. :)

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 1:40AM GMT
Don't feel bad, my lineage can be traced back more than one thousand years in Norway. Both my great grandmother's were all Norwegian which makes me 25%. However ancestry took away 19% and left me with only 6% Scandinavian dna. And then I was given 26% Eastern European which has no paper trail and comes out of nowhere. I am told by ancestry this may go back thousands of years. You and your siblings don't always inherit the same genes from your parents that is why you may have different blood types and can't always donate a much needed organ such as a kidney to your siblings. I suspect my siblings would not be 26% Eastern European or any at all, but I guess I am.....

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 3:39AM GMT
Well said.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 5:00AM GMT
That is really a big difference. Though from what has been mentioned the ethnicity is more general, it would seem that there should be some more commonality between you even if the are variations between DNA between siblings.

Until the raw data is available, it would be nice to be able to download the matches (just the names) in order like we can do with the y-DNA test to a spreadsheet just to make things easier to work with. I am still working through 20 pages of matches trying to get them organized.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 10:02AM GMT
I would call Ancestry.com for an explanation. That seems too extreme a difference for siblings.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 2:09PM GMT
rlpspringhill,
Are you and your brother full siblings? And do you have 50% of something total in common?

I have been surprised with my daughter's DNA results. So far, she has only matched up with people on my father's side of the family. I wonder if the DNA that I happened to pass on to her was mostly from my father's side of the family. I do favor the Lee/Higdon side far more. I've wondered what my sister's DNA test would look like. And in our situation, since I believe I'm nearly 100% British Isles with perhaps a smattering of French, European maybe?, Even my sister might appear to be a genetic match, i.e., 100% British while she likely inherited a very different mix (from mine), and very probably passes on a very different mix to her sons....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions