Search for content in message boards

Catholic churces in the Schönberg/Szymbark area

Catholic churces in the Schönberg/Szymbark area

Posted: 8 May 2013 5:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Still
I'm not getting any response in the relevant Poland board so I thought I'd post here just in case someone here has information on this area of old West Prussia, now Poland.

A cousin of mine has done extensive research and has traced our family back to the village of Schönberg/Szymbark, in Warmia-Mazury. Peter STILL (birth date unknown) and his family (unnamed wife and children Peter, Johann, Martin and Maria) were issued a visa by the Russian consulate to travel to Russia in 1819. They settled in the Eichwald colony. Some of their descendants left and came to Canada in 1905 - my branch of the family.

Does anyone have information on Catholic churches in the Schönberg/Szymbark area? The only one I've been able to locate is an evangelical Lutheran church and this family was most definitely Catholic.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Catholic churces in the Schönberg/Szymbark area

Posted: 9 May 2013 8:12PM GMT

Hi andreastill73

By googleing I found information, that Schönberg/Szymbark had no own catholic church during german times. catholic people from Schönberg belonged to parish of city of Berent.
Berent catholic church books you will on microfilm find at LDS
familysearch.org
Klaus

Re: Catholic churces in the Schönberg/Szymbark area

Posted: 9 May 2013 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Still
Thank you very much! I guess I should have cast my net further out. The situation was similar for my ancestors while in Russia. My cousin was quite surprised to discover registrations in Taganrog until he found out that was the location of the closest Catholic church.

I will check to see if the films are available. I've had no luck with 8+ parishes in Nordrhein-Westfalen because they always seem to be out on loan. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for.

Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic