Search for content in message boards

SS Success went missing in 1874

SS Success went missing in 1874

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Feb 2012 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Conway
The ship SS Success went missing in November 1874. John Thomas Conway aged 36 was the mate. Presumed drowned. Came from Galway Ireland

Re: SS Success went missing in 1874

Posted: 13 May 2012 9:51PM GMT
hi
am ken how serious are you in getting this record if so send me some more info you know i think there is ways to help you.contact me kensword@rediffmail.com

Posted: 14 May 2012 10:54AM GMT
Surnames: Conway
Hi Ken,
Thanks for getting in touch. My grandfather's death certificate stated that his father was John Thomas Conway, seaman deceased. When I did a search I found a John Thomas Conway was a mate on the Success, however having just obtained my gfathers military records it shows he enlisted with the Cameronians in May1895 and was 18. These dates don't tie up unless he was lying about his age! So it looks like I was on the wrong track. I did get in touch with the Maritime History Archives in Newfoundland which were very helpful. Thanks for the interest.
Regards Frances

Posted: 19 May 2012 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: ken
Births Mar 1876 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONWAY John Thomas Lichfield 6b 493

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1876 (>99%)

Conway John Thomas N Salford 8d 153

Births Mar 1876 (>99%)

Births Sep 1876 (>99%)

Births Mar 1876 (>99%)

Births Sep 1876 (>99%)

uk bmd shows those two around that time
but your chap may have been born scotland to

fastfusion]: Births Mar 1883 (>99%)

Conway John Thomas Bradford Y 9b 92

Births Dec 1883 (>99%)

Conway John Thomas Toxteth Park 8b 234
those are the next two certs in order on ukbmd
but i might be best saying have u tried scotspeople site
bradford is close to a naval base at the time
fastfusion]: Births Mar 1883 (>99%)

Conway John Thomas Bradford Y 9b 92

Births Dec 1883 (>99%)

Conway John Thomas Toxteth Park 8b 234,those are the next two certs in order on ukbmd
but i might be best saying have u tried scotspeople site
bradford is close to a naval base at the timei think u may have to find an 1881 census for uk /scotland to see who was where and what occs they all had , and even move up
to 1891 let take step we will get the real post

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions