Search for content in message boards

Francesca Jimines or Ximines

Francesca Jimines or Ximines

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am researching my Canary Island ancestors and I have hit a road block with my 5x Great Grandmother Francesca Jimines or Ximines. I know she came from the Canary Islands, but I cannot find her on any manifest ...

If you have any information on the Jimines or Ximines families from St. Bernard that could help, please let me know

Thanks!
Tricia

Re: Francesca Jimines or Ximines

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 12:13AM GMT
Have you looked at the Diocese of New Orleans records?

And is Ximenez her married name or maiden name, spouse, or children
and what year was she born.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:26AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2013 3:29AM GMT
Are you referring to Francisca Ximenes, spouse of Francisco Serpas? I have vol. 3-19 of the NOLA Archdiocese church records. I might be able to help if you share with me what you know of her parents, siblings, etc. Sometimes the clues lie with siblings, because she may have had a child born in years when priests did not record grandparents, but her siblings may have. When our Isleño ancestors came over, it was at a time when the priests also tried to record places of origin, so they could differentiate families and individuals, but once some parish priests knew parishioners better, they sometimes skipped over adding those details. Again, that's where siblings/collateral family members again can come in handy. :)

I have Ximenez lineage, too, but I don't know if it's the same line. I have Felipa Ximenez, from Agüimes, Gran Canaria.

Hope to hear more from you re: your Francisca!
Jenny

P.S. It's usually spelled Ximenez, Jimenez, or Gimenez. That odd variations come from priests spelling surnames phonetically, which occurred worldwide in those days. Spellings just weren't standardized, and especially not in places like NOLA, where priests might be native Spanish speakers for awhile then native French-speakers. Fun for us! ;)

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:04AM GMT
Hi ... It is her maiden name ... She was born around 1755 and most likely arrived in Louisiana in 1778 -- not married

Thanks!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic