Search for content in message boards

B.Toler

B.Toler

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Toler, Robinson
Looking for any information on a Booker Toler who lived in Pittsylvania County...he married Berta Robinson...they had a child name Hezekiah Toler who married Katherine Wade Hezekiah was born in 1885 in Pittsylvania County. Any information who be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dee

Re: B.Toler

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 9:44PM GMT
Surnames: Toler, Roberson (Robertson)
Booker Toler appears in 1900 and 1880 census of Pittsylvania. The 1900 is probably more acurate saying he was born 1830. The WPA work project of 1930s compiled a book on slave birth records. Absolem Towler/Toler had a slave ----(her name is not in book) who gave birth to John Booker ---in 1856. The 1880 census has John Booker Toler 24 which is the correct age to be the John Booker mentioned. On the same list is Elisha b. 1858 and 1880 census has Elisha "Roberson" next to this John Booker Toler. Also listed is Granville -----b 1858, and a granville Toler appears in 1880 census 22 years old the correct age. The book also has a Sam ----b 1861 and a Sam Toler 19 appears in Pigg river district. The Book also has a Charity ----b 1861. Next to Booker Toler in 1880 census is Charity Younger 20.
Next to Sam Toler in 1880 census is Nathaniel "Roberson" 38. The 1880 census also has a Matilda Toler 60 years old with Nancy Graves and Fannie "Robertson" living with her.
The 1900 census also has James "Roberson" next to Booker Toler. James was born in 1832 and probably a brother of Booker's wife. I believe he is James "Roberts" next to Jay Toler in 1870 census. Jay Toler 80 or born in 1819 is likely a brother of Booker Toler. Both guys made it to 1900 census.

Other evidence such as post civil war m. bonds in Pittsylvania, Personal Property tax records, deeds would reveal more.

Posted: 12 Nov 2009 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Towler
Sam! Nice to meet you. I am related to Matilda Towler; she was younger sister of my great-great grandmother Eliza Towler, who married John H. "Jack" McGhee in 1835. I am out in Calif. and can't get back to VA to document my relatives. Do you have copies of actual records on this family? Their father was James N. Towler, b.1795,d.1872 Bedford Co., married Sarah Thurston Hurt in 1817. Anything you have and are willing to share, I would appreciate, very much. Thanks, Marcy Atkinson Magatelli
marcymagatelli@comcast.net
Posted: 13 Nov 2009 2:16PM GMT
Matilda Towler was my great-great grandmother. She married James R Gregory. Matilda's sister, Elvira, married Marcus Gregory, brother of James R. The sisters were daughters of James N Towler.

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 2:22PM GMT
As I understand it Joseph Towler or Toler owned 5,000 acres some in Bedford Co. and some in Pittslyvania Co., centered on Toler's Bridge between the two counties. Joseph fought in American Revolution and is listed in DAR index etc. His will is in Pittsylvania proved 1819. He had 10 children, one of which was James Towler who m. Sally Hurt in Bedford Co.

My father grew up outside of Chatham, he is dec'd and I live in Charlotesville Va. so I don't have easy access to Pittsylvania or Bedford Co. Court house to copy original documents.

Sam Towler

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 2:23PM GMT
As I understand it Joseph Towler or Toler owned 5,000 acres some in Bedford Co. and some in Pittslyvania Co., centered on Toler's Bridge between the two counties. Joseph fought in American Revolution and is listed in DAR index etc. His will is in Pittsylvania proved 1819. He had 10 children, one of which was James Towler who m. Sally Hurt in Bedford Co.

My father grew up outside of Chatham, he is dec'd and I live in Charlotesville Va. so I don't have easy access to Pittsylvania or Bedford Co. Court house to copy original documents.

Sam Towler

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 5:07PM GMT
Thanks for this confirming information; it will help me seek documentation. Regards, Marcy Magatelli

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 8:26PM GMT
My great grandmother was Matilda Towler. Do you have a picture of Eliza Towler? I have a picture of Matilda. Do you have a picture of James Gregory's father or family?

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 5:28AM GMT
Please take a look at my post for The Dalton Register: Toler appears in this digitized book on the following pages: 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,12,16,17,20,21,23,24,29

Gwynn Socolich
gsgenealogy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic