Search for content in message boards

Ellis family in Fayette County Alabama

Ellis family in Fayette County Alabama

Johnny W. Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2000 7:53PM GMT
Have traced one line back to 1415. Know nothing about my own tree. Help! Whomever Sarah is, I was always told that my grandmother was one-fourth Cherokee. Her maiden name was Randolph. Need info on ellis family in Fayette county around the Berry area. I believe earliest ancestor might have been named Jim. My grandmother was rich in Knowledge about family and then alzheimer's and death. Missed on much info. Family must have come into area in mid 1800's to late 1800's. We are the lost ellis line. I have three brothers and no one knows who we are. Everyone depending on me. My father's name is James Leonard Ellis. His daddy was Edward Banks Ellis. His daddy was Walter Ellis. Lost from there.
Posted: 9 Feb 2000 9:08AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2002 11:22PM GMT
Don't know if there is much or any connection. We were Ellis's from Jeff. co. Al. Also told of Indian bloodlines My grandfather was a Richard married to rebecca, His father was Miton Ellis and his wife was Mattie I 'm not sure of the spelling paperwork poor . I believe Croweer. Richard had a brother who lived in Ga. Sorry don't know the County , He had a daughter named Emma, plus other Child. Their was also a cousin named Milton from that area named after may grea great grandfather. Don't know if their is any connection.
Posted: 9 Feb 2000 9:11AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2002 11:22PM GMT
Sorry meant to mention Walter was from Ga. So were the cousins. Dont know if he was married to a Sarah will try to find out>

Ellis info from mid 1800's

Donna (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2000 10:58PM GMT
Hello, we are Ellis' from Marion County, AL Im sorry your line doesn't sound familiar to me though.

I am searching for any info about Thomas Ellis who had to be born in 1850's...He was probably from Missouri/Illinois and moved to Mississippi and married Frances (Fannie) Ingle and they moved to Alabama where he died sometime after 1900.

I think he may have had at least 3 brothers named: Larkin, Grover, and Horace. He had children all born around 1880's named: Ada, Ella, John, and Grat ?. Any info on Ellises from Missouri area or Mississippi area in the mid 1800's would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you....Donna dellis68@yahoo.com

Ellis's in Marion

Johnny Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2000 10:16AM GMT
Marion Co. is awful close to us. I have a degree in History from Alabama and know much about my grandmother's hy but know very little about my own Surname. I can trace back about 5 generations but all the names and people you asked about seem Greek. Sorry

I feel lost too !!

Donna Ellis Franks (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2000 5:28PM GMT
Johnny, I know what you mean about feeling lost. What are your brother's names .... If I run across anything during my digging I could let you know. I can only go back 4 generations before myself on my Ellis line to Thomas Ellis b. 1855. However, I have just this week found my Thomas' wife's family.

She was Frances Ingle and I have found her ancestry all the way back to 1700 through this familyhistory.com, I found a Frances Ingle and they only had her husband listed as ... Mr. Ellis. They did not know his name. But they had the correct birthdate and they had their firstborn child listed correctly. They also had them listed as migrating through Mississippi, and back to Alabama as I knew they did. So I know that this is them. Now I do at least have the Ingle side of my GG grandparents lineage.

It takes longer to find matches when they are only listed as ..."Mr. Ellis"...

So you might want to attempt using your female names with their birth surnames and see what you can find out. I have found so much through Ancestry.com and MyFamily.com and familyhistory.com they are the best on the web in my opinion.

I also like kindredkonnections.com

Good Luck and keep digging,...your neighboring Marion County cousin (ever how distant)

Donna Ellis Franks

Re: Ellis family in Fayette County Alabama

Posted: 1 Apr 2006 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Apr 2006 11:05PM GMT
FROM DONNA KELSOE.

JOHNNY I AM A DESCENDANT OF JAMES ELLIS, SR., JAMES ELLIS, JR., BORN 1806 IN GEORGIA. (POSSIBLY JASPER CO. GA). HE MARRIED A MARTHA ANN FREEMAN BN. 1810 IN GA. JAMES DIED AUGUST 1856 IN FAYETTE CO AL AND MARTHA DIED ABT. 1880 IN FAYETTE CO AL.THEY HAD A DAUGHTER MARY FRANCIS (FANNIE) ELLIS BN. FEB. 1836 IN JASPER CO GA. AND DIED ABT 1858 IN FAYETTE CO. AL. SHE MARRIED JOHN BOWLES, JR. THEY HAD A SON, JAMES MONROE BOWLES WHO IS MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER. MR. BOWLES MARRIED MIRIAM A BAILEY. HOPE THIS DOESN'T CONFUSE THINGS. IF I CAN HELP FURTHER PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT DBLDTROUBLE@AOL.COM
THANNKS,
DONNA KELSOE

Posted: 3 Apr 2006 6:28AM GMT
Noticed your message and several other messages in 2000 about the Ellis name in Alabama, The following is one of my great-grandmothers. Have not been able to pin down any census data for sure in Alabama.
Do you see any connection with Sarah Jane and any of your Ellis people?
Thanks
Fred Norton

========================================
(Fred’s Ancestor) Generation 4
NAME………………………..SARAH JANE ELLIS (MILES OR JOHNSON)
BORN………………………..MARCH 10, 1857
BIRTHPLACE……………….ALABAMA
DIED………………………….AFTER 1910
PLACE OF DEATH…………MAY BE OKLAHOMA

FATHER……………………..UNKNOWN, b. ALABAMA
MOTHER (MAIDEN NAME).UNKNOWN, b. ALABAMA or GEORGIA

HUSBAND # 1………………NEWTON W. GUTHRIE (Guthery or Guttery)
MARRIAGE DATE………….ABOUT 1871
PLACE OF MARRIAGE……WALKER COUNTY, ALABAMA

CHILDREN………………* NANCY ANN GUTHRIE b. APRIL 19, 1872,
ALABAMA
………………………………...IDA M. GUTHRIE, b. 1874, ALABAMA
………………………………...COLUMBUS DEWITT GUTHRIE, b. 1876,
ALABAMA
………………………………..MARTHA L. GUTHRIE, b, 1879, ALABAMA
………………………………..UNKNOWN GUTHRIE

HUSBAND # 2………………A.L. OR ALEXANDER MORROW
MARRIAGE DATE………….MARCH 4, 1884
PLACE OF MARRIAGE…….GUADALUPE COUNTY, TEXAS

CHILDREN…………………..WALTER JUDD MORROW, b. 1886, TEXAS
………………………………..MYRTLE MORROW, b. 1892, TEXAS
………………………………..ZELMA MORROW, b. 1895, TEXAS
………………………………..ALMA MORROW, b. 1897, TEXAS

Updated November 25, 2005

REMARKS:
In the 1860 Alabama census, Lawrence County, Southern Division, Image 39, there is a Sarah Ellis, 5 years old, living in the household of Richard and Elenor Ellis. He is a farmer with a real estate value of $350 and a personal property value of $265. There is also a daughter, Emmie Ellis, 3 years old living with them.

Her age is given as 25 in the 1880 Alabama census for Walker County, Other townships, ED 279, Image 20. Her occupation is keeping house. Her father is shown as being born in Alabama. Her mother appears to be shown as born in Georgia.

Enumerated in the 1910 Oklahoma census, Harmon County, Other Townships, ED 126, Image 126. She is 53 years old. She is a widow. Her occupation is Farmer. She has three daughters living with her. Her birthplace is Alabama, Both her parents are shown as born in Alabama. Her son Walter is also living in Harmon County, Oklahoma.

Note about her first husband:
May 3, 1883: From "Prairie Lea Pickings" correspondent, "Mr. Gutrey, recently from Alabama, died of congestion of bowels at the Graham place above town yesterday and was buried across the river in Guadalupe County. He leaves a wife and five children."

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 12:48PM GMT
Would you believe that I was searching and found my own post that I sent out ten years ago. I've just now seen your post and yes we have the same line. I have learned so much since then but I learned even more from reading your post and other things I learned tonight. James Sr. was born in 1780. His wife was Susannah Bruce. We need to swap junk....Ellisboy@bellsouth.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic