Search for content in message boards

Isaac Wiseman b. 26 Feb 1699/1700

Isaac Wiseman b. 26 Feb 1699/1700

s westfall (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2004 7:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wiseman, Helmstetter/Helmstetler
I have seen several postings on this board - and more than a few family trees on this and other sites - that claim Isaac Wiseman was born 26 Feb 1699/1700 aboard the ship the Canterbury, on which his parents sailed to Philadelphia with William Penn.
According to US History, the Canterbury set sail 3 Sep 1699 from the Isle of Wight, and docked 1 Dec 1699 in Chester PA. If Isaac was born on this ship, his birthdate is wrong.
Also, I have not found any listing for this ship to either prove or disprove this theory. Can anyone who claims Isaac was born on this ship prove it? If someone has a ship's list, it could also clear up the unproven Thomas as Isaac's father theory.
Can anyone help with this? I'd really like to get Isaac's info clarified. My husband is descended thru his son William b. 18 Jan 1758 in Oley, Berks Co., PA.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re: Isaac Wiseman b. 26 Feb 1699/1700

Posted: 19 Oct 2004 5:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Huffman, Shireman, Beanblossom others in Harrison Cty, IN
There is the possibility that Isaac Wiseman spent some time in the Rockingham Co., VA area where his son, Isaac Wiseman I, had settled before moving on to Monroe County, VA (now WV). The official documents leave little doubt that Isaac Wiseman, Sr. was the father of Isaac Wiseman I, Jacob Wiseman of Rowan County, NC., Mary (Wiseman) Merrill, Rachel (Wiseman) Merrill, William Wiseman and my (Robert D. Wiseman) line of James Wiseman, all residents of Rowan County, NC, but probably born in PA. Written by Robert D. Wiseman, 1993.

Isaac's will was probated January 7, 1779 and proved February 3, 1779 at Rowan Co., NC. I would imagine that he died near the end of January 1779. He is probably buried in the Jersey Baptist Church Cemetery at, or near the Jersey Settlement, Rowan Co., NC, which today lies near the town of Linwood, Davidson Co., NC. His grave would be one of the several unmarked graves in this cemetery.
Robert D. Wiseman.

September 1727 - The earliest citing of Isaac Wiseman, Sr. is on a document dated Sep 1727. Isaac was one of thirty-two (32) petitioners to sign a request for a new road, "Beginning at the Lutheran Meeting House at Tolpechocken to end in the high road at the Quaker Meeting House, near George Boone's Mill in Oley. (Berks Co., PA). This was probably in the area that became Amity Township, March 3, 1744.
Robert D. Wiseman, Historian.

March 3, 1744 - A petition regarding the survey and erection of Amity Township, made by George Boone, Esquire and signed (among others) by "Isaac Wiseman."
1752 - Isaac Wiseman was offering a reward for the capture of "Cornelius Smith, Irishman, who escaped the constable of Amity Township.

The late Ernest N. Wiseman of Gallipolis, OH mentions this fact in several of his letters, "Isaac Wiseman was born aboard ship while his family traveled from Wales to America in 1706". No citing has been made to substantiate this as being fact.

Isaac's son Jacob was a Deacon of this Church and two of his nephews were Alderman throughout it's history. Although there is no marker for Isaac, or Mary his wife, there are many impressions in the earth of this Church's cemetery where no stone is present."
William's birth date approximated from fact that William was taxed in Rowan County, NC in 1772.
Robert Wiseman.

This is the information I have provided me by Robert Wiseman, Historian for the Wiseman Family. I am also related to the Wisemans.
Donna Tesch
dtesch@mn.rr.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions