Search for content in message boards

Porter Families of Ballyjamesduff and Balladara, Munterconnaght, Cavan and Ballyduff, Manvers Twp., Ontario, Canada

Porter Families of Ballyjamesduff and Balladara, Munterconnaght, Cavan and Ballyduff, Manvers Twp., Ontario, Canada

Posted: 27 Mar 2007 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter
Researching all Porter families from this area in Ireland. Some family members left in 1820+ to Canada/US and settled in Manvers Township. Others went on to British Columbia and Australia.

Re: Porter Families of Ballyjamesduff and Balladara, Munterconnaght, Cavan and Ballyduff, Manvers Twp., Ontario, Canada

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 12:12PM GMT
I am also researching that side also.

Re: Porter Families of Ballyjamesduff and Balladara, Munterconnaght, Cavan and Ballyduff, Manvers Twp., Ontario, Canada

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 9:48PM GMT
I have a Hugh Porter baptised 10 May 1806 who married Lavinia (Lovey) Magill baptised 5 September 1808.

Lavinia's maiden name was recorded on at least two of her children's marriage registers: Hugh's and Matthew's. However, Lavinia/Lovey was a name so favoured by the Magills as to hamper a postive identification. For lack of a better place, Lavinia has been included in Henry and Susannah's family, but the naming patterns of her children do not fit, and she does not appear in the list of Henry and Susanna (Byers) Magill's children which was found in a family Bible. Lavinia may simply be a relative or married niece who left her native Ireland with her husband Hugh Porter around the same time as the Magills. One possibility is that she was the daughter of John and Alice Magill who were living in Killynure Townland, Crosserlough Parish, Cavan Co., Ireland at the time of the 1821 Census.

Hugh and Lavinia are believed to have immigrated to Manvers Twp., Durham Co., Ontario, sometime between the birth of their son John who was born in 1833 and their son David who was born in 1835. They farmed near Yelverton, Ontario, probably around Conc.8, Lot 7, according to the Canadian CountyAtlas Digital Project. The Ontario Archives Land Record Index shows that Hugh Porter applied for the north half of Lot 5 on Conc. 6 and the north half of Lot 5 on Conc.8 in 1832, properties very close to the land they acquired. Hugh and Lavinia appear in the 1861 Manvers Twp. Census living near their widowed daughter-in-law Susannah and her children (p.49). Their son Hugh is still at home and they also have a grandson Hugh the same age. Hugh may also be related to a John Porter who received a free grant for Conc. 3, Lot 3 in nearby Cavan Twp. about 1819.

I also have an Oliver/Orange Pyle who married Mary Porter August 29, 1838 at Kildrumferton (Crosserlough) Parish, Co Cavan, Ireland. No parents names listed. Two know children:
Anne Pyle baptised March 8, 1840
Jane Pyle baptised July 9, 1843
The address for the above baptisms was Drumbee, Kildrumferton (Crosserlough) Parish, Co Cavan, Ireland where my own ancestors lived in the 1830s but I cannot find a link due to lack of records but my own GGG Grandfather was called Oliver Pile/s later Peel (1819-1876.

I also have some Porterfields if you are interested?

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: Porter Magill Brant
I am working on the Brant-Porter family tree and have researched the Porters back as far as Hugh's parents William and Bridget. Do you have any info earlier than that? Do you know Bridget's last name?
Thank you
Delores Hamilton

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 2:59PM GMT
Thanks for your email. I don't have any earlier information than what you have researched so far. All the best in your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic