Search for content in message boards

Sughrue to Mauritius

Sughrue to Mauritius

maureen o'sughrue (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Sughrue
Hi all , searching for a Patrick O'Sughrue, from County Kerry who went to Madagascar, or Mautitius, possibly 1880/1900. Family migrated to Australia,about 1965.

Re: Sughrue to Mauritius

Karen Geffroy (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2005 1:07AM GMT
Surnames: O'Sughrue
Greetings from Cape Town

Found your message and very interested in O'Sughrue surname as I found out today that a certain Anne Marie O'Sughrue, who died at birth on 10/03/1943, is buried in the same tomb as one of my husband's ancestors, Willam Skydeberg, in Port Louis Cemetery, Mauritius. There are also de Ligeac's sharing same tomb and I think there must be a link somewhere between these families, although I have never heard of the surname O'Sughrue before. Look forward to hearing from you and perhaps adding info to the family tree!

Regards
Karen Geffroy

Marie Christine Liu (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2006 6:46AM GMT
Hi Maureen,

My grandma is Patrick O'sughrue's sister. Her name is Anne Marie Chaperon. My mum is Gillette Chaperon and she has always told me that her uncle is Patrick O'sughrue and went to New Zealand long ago. His wife is Annie and he has a daughter named Maureen. My mum married Roland Edmond and therefore my maiden name is Edmond. I am now married to Denis Liu with 2 kids-both boys.

Marie Christine Liu (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2006 8:25AM GMT
Hi Karen,

In fact I am Anne Marie O'sughrue's grand daughter. However, I don't know the one you mention in your text. My grand ma's father was an irish man who came to Mauritius and married a mauritian national. From there, he went to work in South Africa but did not bring along his family. My grand ma's brother is Patrick O'sughrue who sent to New Zealand very long ago with his family.

If you have any more news, keep me posted.

karen geffroy (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2006 9:52AM GMT
Surnames: O'Sughrue/Skydeberg
Dear Marie Christine

Easter Greetings and thank you so much for your reply. I am quite thrilled to see there is a definite O'Sughrue/Mauritius connection. Since I posted my first message, I have new information. I contacted the St John's Maritime Museum in Newfoundland Canada, for information on a W Skydeberg, who I believe to be Wilhelm, my husband's great grandfather. In the index of Mariners where I found his surname listed, another surname caught my eye, O'Suzhrue. I thought this must be a mispelling of O'Sughrue and requested the info on this person too. When it arrived recently it was for a Desiré O'Suzhrue born in Mauritius in 1850/1. I am sure there must be some connection here. A coincidence that Desiré O'Sughrue and W Skydeberg were both mariners in Canadian/US ports and Skydeberg eventually settled in Mauritus? Did they meet, or know each other? Desiré is a French christian name, definitely not Irish, but I do know that O'Sughrue is of Irish origin. I should love to know the name of the Mauritian wife of the O'Sughrue that went to Mauritius and then proceeded to South Africa. I shall see if I can trace any info on the family here in SA. Chaperon is an old Mauritian surname. Do you still live in Mauritius? If you have any other info, especially names, I would love to receive it and try to discover the Skydeberg/O'Sughrue connection. I have a CD of cemeteries in Mauritius and there are 8/9 O'Sugrue's listed with dates. Earliest date of death is 1831. If you would like more info please contact me on geffroy@telkomsa.net
Kind regards Karen

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Skydeberg / Liu
Hi
Let's say that I only wish I had saved what I read a while back in one of those ancestry sites.A certain person bearing the surname of Skydeberg did get married to another person bearing the surname of Liu , in China , many years ago now.It struck me , as a close friend of mine there bore the surname of Liu.
Spent 2/3 years there , as it was like home away from home for me. Could never understand that feeling of belonging there , and will always regret having left China. Life is indeed full of mysteries.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 8:53AM GMT
Surnames: Skydeberg/Liu
Hello
I have just read your message and am intrigued by your memory of a SKYDEBERG/LIU marriage in China. I should love to have more information, any piece of info would help, no matter how small or insignificant you may deem it to be, as it could tie in with family anecdotal remembrances that may or may not be factual. May I ask what your relationship to the families mentioned is? What years are we looking at? I look forward to hearing from you soon
Regards

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 5:39PM GMT
Surnames: Skydeberg / Liu
My grandmother was Elizabeth Lucy Mathilda Skydeberg born in 1886. Her father Wilhelm Christian Alexander Skydeberg , was born on the 1st of April 1857 in Neumunster , Germany.Evidence of his baptism was found in the Neumunster Registry books of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church.
Wilhelm left Germany in 1874 setting sail on a ship for Canada.He would have been 17 years of age , as he was born in 1857 , but the documents from Glace Bay , Canada , say that he was 20. He would have increased his age to be allowed to work on board the ship.
Wilhelm would have arrived in Mauritius some time between 1874 and 1882.
He married Louise Marie Clemence Des Etangs in 1882 in Mauritius. They had 6 children , one of whom was my grandmother.
All of that is most fascinating , but the missing piece of the puzzle is the Chinese connection between Skydeberg and Liu.I'll browse through all the genealogical sites that I may have visited over time and hopefully will retrace the one that stated both marriage date and location of the Skydeberg / Liu marriage.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 6:35PM GMT
Hello again
If Lucy SKYDEBERG was your grandmother then you are a first cousin to my husband and I should like to contact you on my private E-mail.
Kind Regards

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions