Search for content in message boards

Alcatraz Anglins

Alcatraz Anglins

Posted: 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Oct 2001 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Anglin
On the History Channel on October 6, there is supposed to be a documentary by Gary Moscowitz about the escape of the Anglin brothers from Alcatraz. It's part of an Escape series the History Channel is doing. Check your local stations for times.

Re: Alcatraz Anglins

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 6:12PM GMT
I am a sister-in-law of John and Clarence Anglin of Alcatraz. I know them very well

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 6:20PM GMT
That's cool! I am quite distantly related. I am an Anglin, but from the branch that went from Mississippi to Texas and then to Washington. I've just always thought the story was interesting. Ella

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 6:52PM GMT
This family is from Colquitt, Ga. I have been in the family since 1956. They were wonderful guys. I use to do all of John's laundry. He was quite the lady's guy. You would never believe they would be someone that would do something like this. I was married to, next to the oldest brother, Robert, who has since passed away. I was the one that heard the broadcast that they had escaped from Alcatraz. I lived next door to the parents. I did all of their mothers corresponce to the boys. We had just visited the brother, Alfred, in Kilby prison,in May before they escaped.

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 7:23PM GMT
I guess the thing I liked about them was that for all they did, they didn't hurt people - no murder or things like that. Have you seen the movie Escape from Alcatraz?

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 8:49PM GMT
I just heard from an Anglin friend who does a lot with the genealogy and DNA tests to connect which family each of us belongs to. She said she had talked to your husband at one point about doing the DNA test, which just involves a cheek swab. He agreed then changed his mind. We'd love to be able to see how each of the families lines up. I belong to group 2. Do you think any of Robert's male relatives - son or brother - would be willing to do the test? It would be great if they would. Ella

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 11:27PM GMT
Yes, I have seen all of the movies, documentaries and all that has bee out there. Several T.V stations have been out, for interviews with the family. There is a book out called Riddle of The Rock, by Don Denevi. It has pictures of all the family. My husband was a brother to John & Clarence. I have been in the family since 1956. I knew them very well.
They were guys you would not believe, would do any thing like that. We know they got away, because we got Christmas cards from them at Christmas time, only the signature was Joe & Jerry. Of course they would not sign their real names, the family would have got in trouble.
We got all the pictures that they had on them when they left Alcatraz.

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 1:04AM GMT
When you say they would do just about Anything for someone..?> Does that include stealing innocent peoples inheritances in Washington state..? > !! Thnx Leroy York-

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 1:11AM GMT
So, does Breck Sturgell or Robert & Estelle McClelland ring a bell? Or a Frank J Morris Jr. Port Angeles, WA. ....? tHNXZ

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 1:21AM GMT
Hi Snoozey, By ANY chance are you related in some way to the Sturgell/Sturgill Family? Thnx~
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions