Search for content in message boards

Location of St Thomas Church, Stepney, London, MDX,UK

Location of St Thomas Church, Stepney, London, MDX,UK

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 3:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandparents were married in St Thomas Church, Stepney, MDX. What part of London is that considered to be?
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chris Maslen

Re: Location of St Thomas Church, Stepney, London, MDX,UK

Posted: 22 Jul 2004 1:28PM GMT
Stepney is in the East End of London - basically just east of Tower Bridge. The URL below will take you to a map showing this.

MDX is I think an abbreviation for Middlesex, which was the county for that area - Middlesex ceased to exist almost 40 yers ago.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=535500&y=180500&...

Hope this helps you

Megan

chris maslen (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2004 5:56PM GMT
Dear Megan: Thanks for your response. I should have been more specific. I know where the area is, but I cannot find St. Thomas Church. I have a bad feeling that it may have been destroyed during WWII. I know the dock areas were bombed heavily by the Luftwaffe. Some of my family were married in that Church in the late 1800's. I have their marriage certs. but they don't list any street addresses for the marriage partners.
Unfortunately their surnames are very commom. Day & Smith.
With regards,
Chris Maslen

Posted: 15 Aug 2004 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: hanshaw/day/gunn/brennan
Hi
Just read your message re St. Thomas church. My ancestors were married there too. It was in the middle of a square in Stepney, East London, it no longer exists as it was bombed during thewar. There is noe just a garden green instead
regards
Mary

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: DAY & CRAY
Hi Mary:

Thankyou for responding to my e-mail regarding St Thomas Church. Do you have any idea what happened to the church records? The marriage I would like to locate is between my great grandparents. I sent for a copy of their marriage certificate. Unfortunately it just states they were of full age & gives no street addresses for either person. They were married there on 30 December 1871. I live overseas so it makes it extremely hard. My g. grandfather's name was William DAY & he married Mary Ann CRAY.
Any suggestions?
Chris Maslen

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 3:54PM GMT
Surnames: DAY & CRAY in Stepney
Hi Mary: I forgot to give you their father's names.
William Day's father was James Day. He was deceased in 1871. Mary Ann Cray's parents names were Michael Cray & Mary Ann. The Cray's lived at 13 Chequers Yard between 1871 &1881.Michael Cray died in the Dec. Qtr of 1875.
I see that you are looking for DAYs too.

Chris Maslen

mary brennan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2004 10:57AM GMT
Hi Chris
It depends what you're looking for. My gr.grandparents were married in St. Thomas but in 1860. The church didn't have a very longlife, so my ancestors info would be at St. dunstans. However, I'm going to London next week, to the LMA, so if you would like me to check on something for you I'd be happy to do so.
I've looked on the 1871 census, as this would have been taken in March your gr.grandparents should be there. The only William Day in Stpeney that could fit is as follows:-
James Day 56yrs Labourer b. Tewksbury (Gloucs.)
Catherine Day 52yrs. Tailoress b.Whitechapel
WILLIAM DAY 26YRS LABOURER b.ST GEORGES IN EAST
Address - 39 Hencage Street Stepney.
Is this any help?
By the way, my maiden name was Day, but my antecedents came from Suffolk then into E.London.
regards
Mary

Day family of Stepney, London

Posted: 19 Aug 2004 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: DAY
Hi Mary: I ran across that 1871 census posting several weeks ago. It's very tempting, except James is listed as being deceased on William DAY & Mary Ann CRAY's marriage cert. of December 30,1971. I went through the actual death index images that freebmd put on line about a month ago. I did all 4 quarters of 1871 & the first quarter of 1872. There is no death for a James DAY age 56 or 57. The closest I got was a James DAY of Poplar, age 60, who died in the Dec. Qtr. of 1871.
William DAY was in the merchant marine & is listed as a sailor of Stepney on their marriage cert. My grandmother's name was Janet DAY & she was born in 1875 in Chequer's Yard, Aldgate. On the birth cert. it states William was a sailor.
The DAYs moved around a lot. In 1881 they were on Norfolk St. & in 1891 on Fellbrigg St. William died in the 1890's. Crushed to death by a beer wagon!
Thankyou for your kind offer to do a lookup.But, until I get some additonal data. I am stuck at this point.
regards,
Chris M.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic