Search for content in message boards

Michael Prill and Eva Rosine Lambrecht

Michael Prill and Eva Rosine Lambrecht

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 11:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Prill,Lambrecht
I have been researching my paternal genealogy.
My Father and I recently found my great,great,great grandfather's grave in a rural cemetery.His name was Michael Prill and his wife was Eva Rosine(Lambrecht).They are buried in a family plot along-side his son William Julius Prill and Henriette Julianne (Dietert).They were my great,great, grandparents.
The little information that I have found is that Michael was born approximately 1811 and married Eva 24,Nov. 1833 in Lobsens,Posen,Preussen.Died in 1902 in Wisconsin.
Eva was born approximately 1813.Died 1889.
William Julius was born 19,Dec.1843 at Posen.He died 3,Nov.1829 in Wisconsin.
I understand that that region(Posen,Prussia) is now in Poland.
I don't know the details of their leaving Prussia.
They arrived in America in 1873 and William Julius Prill started a family farm in Wisconsin.
Micheal and Eva are listed together in the 1880 US Federal census.William is not listed.
We are curious to know if Michael and Eva had other children(there are quite a few Prill families in the area)and we suspect that we have relatives in Germany or the area of former Prussia.
Any feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

Re: Michael Prill and Eva Rosine Lambrecht

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2003 3:27AM GMT
Jim, first, I want to refer you to three maps: Map 1 shows Germany as it was from its unification under Bismarck in 1871 until 1918. You'll see the Kingdom of Prussia (in German: Preussen) and its provinces, and in the east you will see the province of Posen -- (Lobsens is in the northeastern part of the province). You will also see how large Prussia was. It stretched all the way from East Prussia in the northeast to and including the Rhineland in the west! That was a distance of some 800 miles! Berlin was the capital of both Germany and of Prussia. Map 2 shows Germany's territorial losses following World War I. Those territorial losses included the Prussian province of Posen, which became part of the newly independent Poland. Map 3 shows Germany and its states today, a number of the new states resulting from the post World War II break-up of the state of Prussia.

Map 1: www.rootsweb.com/~wggerman/map/germanempire.htm

Map 2: www.rootsweb.com/~wggerman/map/germany1920.htm

Map 3: www.rootsweb.com/~wggerman/state.htm

As to Map 3: Following World War II, almost all of Germany lying east of the Oder and Neisse Rivers was given to Poland (except for the northern half of the Prussian province of East Prussia, which was taken by the Soviet Union). The 12 million German inhabitants of eastern Germany were thereupon expelled from their homes under horrific conditions. The Polish authorities then repopulated these territories with Poles.

The province of Posen fell to Prussia as a result of the three Partitions of Poland (1772, 1793 and 1795), when Poland was divided up among Prussia, Austria and Russia and disappeared as an independent country for almost 125 years. The population of the province of Posen was always majority Polish but had a very large German minority. A large part of the German population of the former Prussian province of Posen left after 1918 because they didn't want to live in Poland. Those Germans who didn't leave, got caught up in the general expulsion of the eastern German population in 1945/46. (The province of Posen had briefly belonged to Germany again from 1939 to 1945.) So if you do have relatives in Germany today, there's really no telling where in Germany they might live. Prill is a rather common name in Germany.

Needless to say, all the cities, towns and villages have Polish names today: The city of Posen, which until 1918 was the capital of the province of Posen, has the Polish name Poznan. Lobsens has the Polish name Lobzenica.

You might find the following website useful:

www.genealogienetz.de/reg/POS/posen_e.html

Hope this has been of some help to you. (By the way, was the family Catholic or Protestant?)

Robert

Posted: 2 Oct 2003 11:28PM GMT
Robert T.
Thanks for the history information.
It clarifies a lot of details about the "homeland".
I had heard that the area in question is in modern-day Poland.
Some of my relatives(not Prills)were expelled from their homes following WWII. Father is full-blooded German.

Michael and Eva Prill left Prussia with their son Julius(possibly others?) and arrived in America in 1873.

From what my Dad tells me,the older generation was always very private,secretive.

The Prills were Protestant.
Up until my generation they were conservative Lutherans.
I suspect that if there is family left,they would have moved,probably to Germany.
I didn't know that Prill was a common name in Germany.Here in the U.S. it's not very common.
My biggest goal is to find out if had Michael more children.
That may solve a lot of mystery for my family.

Thanks again Robert.

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2003 1:18AM GMT
Jim, you say that your primary goal at the moment is to find out if Michael and Eva had other children. Well, do you happen to live near a Mormon Family History Center? If so, you can obtain and view there on microfilm the Lutheran church records of Lobsens covering the years 1773 to 1944. In these records, you would certainly find the baptismal records of all of Michael and Eva's children. (The records come to an end in 1944 because the war ended the next year and all of the Germans of Lobsens were expelled, having to leave everything behind. That was a horrible time!)

Also, do you happen to know the exact dates of death of Michael and Eva? If so, I suggest that you contact the local library in the town where they lived and ask if there were newspaper obituaries for them when the died. If they had newspaper obituaries, I would assume the obituaries would have made mention of all of their children.

Robert

Posted: 10 Oct 2003 1:13AM GMT
Thank you Robert.

I did find out where they moved when they retired from farming.
My sister lives in that town.
I'll have to see if the local paper existed at the time of Michael's death
I can get the newspaper websites in the area and they always tell how long they have been published.
The library is something that I hadn't thought of.

I'm thinking that my sister may be of help with querying about Lutheran church records.
I live in a remote area and I don't know of any Mormon churches or Mormon record libraries near here.

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 8:16PM GMT
Surnames: Prill
I have found quite a few Prill's (also spelled: Pril, Pryl, Pryla) in Byslaw/Byslawek which is about 30? miles from modern day Lobsens/Lobzenica. It seems these Prill's were Catholic and had been there since the late 1700's.
My Great-Great Grandmother was Anna Prill b. 1849 and after searching the Byslaw records I did not find her there.
Perhaps she is related to your Prill's, I will try the Lobzenica Parish, there are Catholic and Lutheran records there. If I see your ancestor, I will let you know...

Thanks

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 1:04AM GMT
Thank you.
Any information that you may find would be very much appreciated.
Anna Prill? I don't recognise the name.
The Prills that immigrated to the US(my relatives)did so around 1870.It is possible that Anna Prill is related to Michael Prill.
As far as anyone remembers here,the Prills have been Lutheran.They may have been Catholic at one point.
I did discover another Prill buried in the Bloomer,WI(USA) cemetary.John Prill was his name and he was born about 7 years after Michael.Possibly a brother.I don't know.
Thanks again.

Posted: 25 Jun 2007 2:36AM GMT
I was poking around today and it looks like there may have been Prill's in Konitz (modern day Chojnice) also which isn't too far away either from where I was looking. There is no telling if your early ancestors were Catholic or Lutheran till you find their records. I have come across this situation in my family also. Sometimes a Catholic woman would marry a Lutheran man and the children would be raised Catholic, in your case it may be the opposite. I have easier access to Chojnice records so I will start there probably.
My Anna immigrated in 1880 to Winona Minnesota, she was married to a Stanislaus Czaplewski so they were Kashubian I suppose, at least he was.
By the way, I will look at the Byslaw records and see if I find your Michael Prill b. abt. 1811
If I find him I will let you know, I have those records on cd...
One more thing, looking at the modern day surname distribution of the name Prill in Germany, it seems to be concentrated in the north and northeast part of Germany and is the 2859th most common surname...
Jim

Posted: 15 Jul 2007 5:20PM GMT
I checked Byslaw a couple of weeks ago, although there were Prill families that showed up around 1790 in the Parish, I did not find mine or yours. I looked in Chojnice the other day, plenty of Prill' but not mine or yours again...
I also checked a few other places but no luck yet.
Next stop Lobsens.
Also, my Anna's father was Paul Prill and I estimate his birth at about 1815-1825. I have not found anything that says his age (IE: marriage record) Perhaps there is a connection here but we won't know till these folks are found.
I'll get back to you at a later date.
Jim

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 2:11AM GMT
I think that the key may be Lobsens.Michael and Eva were married there.I believe it's quite likely that they were born there also.
You said that Anna was in Winona,MN in 1880.
What's interesting about that is Michael and Eva resided in LaCrosse,WI for a while before continuing further North in WI.They ended up on a farm near Sand Creek,WI.
LaCrosse is across the Mississippi river from Winona,MN.
We have thought that the Prills traveled as a family when they left for America from Hamburg.It may have been close family or even cousins.
If you discover any information I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Jim.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic